Hiders not using attributes

dorqie

I have used attributes on some of my caches. But if it has 4 or more stars for terrain, and the cache is in the backcountry someplace. Then what does one need an attribute to describe what is up there. If you need that much help please stay in a parking lot.

In that case they would be helpful in describing what isn't allowed (no quads, maybe there is a gate that closes at a certain time)

Nobody in this thread (unless I missed it) mentioned the fact that there are still plenty of geocaches that were hidden, well before attributes were even available. Many of the cache pages have never been edited.

I used to use the old 9Key Selector, before they were made available on the cache page.

there are a couple of caches in my area that have not been updated to the new system, and still use that one. That's fine with me in most cases, but it doesn't help me with PQ's

I have used attributes on some of my caches. But if it has 4 or more stars for terrain, and the cache is in the backcountry someplace. Then what does one need an attribute to describe what is up there. If you need that much help please stay in a parking lot.

Perhaps you misunderstand what they are sometimes for.

If you use attributes that make it clear your cache IS in the back country or perhaps has difficult climbing or hiking, people who cannot do these things (or just don't want to for certain queries or reasons) can filter them out of pocket queries.

For example, if people use the "night cache" attribute, it makes it easier to find night caches. If people use the "long hike" attribute it can help people who don't belong out there, have small children or just don't have a lot of time avoid having a bad time at your cache.

If you think people should stay in the parking lot for your hardcore caches, attributes can help make that happen. :anibad:

I am not belonging to those who insist on using attributes nor do I want to force someone to provide more informations about his caches than he wants to give away.

I do not like your last sentence however. I have visited numerous caches I could only visit because I got in advance helpful information about them by kind fellow cachers.

I am caching in order not to end up on my sofa or in parking lots and to fight against my problems. If you are in the position to be able to do every cache you want to do and you need not worry that something might not be doable for you, fine for you. Be happy with it and let's hope that it will continue to be that way.

Despite my problems on various levels, I am still doing some selected high terrain caches. I am very glad that I know many cachers who help me out instead of telling me that I should stay at home or in a parking lot.

BTW: Terrain ratings can be quite subjective and are used very inconsistently. 4* need not state anything about why the terrain is rated that way.

Cezanne

I never look at attributes, so I never put them on my own caches. I personally don't find them useful, mostly because there are too many of them to be useful. The more attributes that are added, the less useful they become. I rely on the write up and reading past logs. Then again, I'll pretty much do any cache regardless of what the attributes are.

Well if it were all about you that would be ok. But like others have said many of us do. Myself and another family member both have handicaps. I think that many of the cache owners that do this the same reason you do but some do it out of ignorance some don't bother to read the guidelines. The country at least if no the whole world make some accommodations for the handicapped and also we have the very young and the very old to consider.

I don't like to use public restrooms but if I extended your philosophy and I had some businesses I would not supply public restrooms to any of them because I didn't believe in them and so on and so on.

Realistically, the attributes are largely either misused, misapplied, misunderstood, not used or not enough of them. I'd guess that 40% of caches or more have some bad attributes applied to them - It is so bad that you cannot count on the attributes to really tell you very much about any cache. Reading past logs and the descriptions is still required to get any decent information.

I'd like to see the science behind guess. Because without that it's just and uninformed opinion. Some people abuse the or misuse handy parking so do away with it because a few out of the large group of people misuse it.

Realistically, the attributes are largely either misused, misapplied, misunderstood, not used or not enough of them. I'd guess that 40% of caches or more have some bad attributes applied to them - It is so bad that you cannot count on the attributes to really tell you very much about any cache. Reading past logs and the descriptions is still required to get any decent information.

The biggest problem I have is that the system will not let me select all the attributes I want to use on my caches, so I have to pick and chose. :blink: This means that I may not have the attribute that a finder wants :(

That is not a reason for ignoring them when you post. I have never run into that problem. Each attribute contributes to the decision to attempt the cache. Just prioritize. Hit the ones you think are the most important.

Were I to extend your philosophy when it came to doing taxes I would not file for a deduction because they don't offer some that I think are important.

Or when giving directions to someone on the phone I wouldn't bother because you should not give more than 3 turns per call because most people can't remember more than that.

I rarely look at attributes. I think I glanced once when I had this desire to try for a challenge cache oriented around them (subsequently didn't bother as the trip to go find that cache was not going to pan out for me). When I finally looked at the attributes on some of the caches I found I didn't find them to be all that accurate in many cases after the fact. In some cases caches should have had attributes they didn't have as well.

So I try to base my cache finding on maps of the area to determine if it looks like something I may be able to get to. That and the description and logs by people who have found the cache already. I find they give much more info than the attributes anyhow.

Again I'll state that if it were all about the owner that would be ok. But others do use them and sometimes they may be wrong on a few attributes but that is not sufficient reason to ignore them when you post the cache.

Never set them, never use them. If there's something special or dangerous about the location I include it in the description.

I don't like to use public restrooms. So when I start a new business I am not going to provide public restrooms.

It's a common courtesy. The very young/old, handicapped and so on and so on.

That is a bit insensitive and not enough of a reason to ignore them. Why put handicapped parking in front of a sports store. A long hike does not say it is impossible for someone with a handicap but steep trails may say that. Knowing I will need climbing gear or waders so on and so on.

If I think of it in terms of pocket queries it helps me choose attributes.

+1

+1, with bonus hit points against the undead. :ph34r:

I add attributes to all my cache pages, as a courtesy to other cachers, who may use them in the PQ filtering process. It only takes me a few seconds to add, and it could be helpful. On the Karma scale, it's a win-win.

+1, with bonus hit points against the undead. :ph34r:

I add attributes to all my cache pages, as a courtesy to other cachers, who may use them in the PQ filtering process. It only takes me a few seconds to add, and it could be helpful. On the Karma scale, it's a win-win.

+1, but only if you have the GPSr of eternal battery. :ph34r::ph34r:

I rarely look at them, but it is nearly effortless to choose the more important ones, so others can look at them.