Geocaching.com site update June 28th

Geocaching.com Bug Fixes

Read the last update's Release Notes

• Fixed login widget on Hide a Cache page

• Added check to Souvenirs detail page so the artist's name does not appear as a link if no URL is provided

• Fixed a bug that caused Trackable log entries to not be sorted by date when the item was marked as missing

• Fixed PM comparison table link to screencast about Pocket Queries

• Fixed bug which prevented deleting a Trackable image if that image was set as the default image for the item

• Fixed bug causing images associated with deleted cache logs to still be displayed in the gallery

• Fixed error on membership comparison page when viewed in certain languages

• Added paging to Geocaching in the News page so all stories no longer appear in one long list

• Added code to remove null characters from cache descriptions/log before creating a GPX file to allow Garmin devices to read it properly

• Fixed eniro.fi maps link on cache pages for caches in Finland

• Fixed alignment of profile stats chronology when viewed in languages other than English

• Fixed display of search results to align description when "placed by" field length causes it to wrap to a third line

• Fixed display of log date in the Premium Member Only cache audit log to match the user's preference

• Expanded the number of rows in the cache submission/edit Short Description textbox

• Removed numerous duplicate device entries in the list of GPS devices provided in the cacher profile

• Fixed bug encountered when paging a Pocket Query preview followed by previewing on the map

• Fixed localization issue on Trackables edit and activation page which caused some fields to be displayed in brackets

• Print-friendly cache pages now correctly display line breaks

• Fixed mileage calculation for Trackables when they have been added to caches along the Prime Meridian

• Returned the Hide count to the Friend's page

• Fixed display bug for accounts with no Trackables in the inventory when viewing Your Trackable Item Logs in profile

• Added missing Feedback tab to account details, GPS reviews, and hotels pages

• Fixed display of watchlist icon on cache pages when the user's language preference is set to Portuguese

• Resized the Feedback tab to reduce overlap on cache details pages when viewed in a low resolution

• Removed text at the bottom of bookmark lists not owned by you which inaccurately reports that you have created 0 of the max 40 bookmark lists

• Added gxproxy.com to the Geocoin Manufacters/Resellers list

• Updated cache type descriptions in multiple areas for consistency

• Fixed display issue when viewing Trackables home page in Firefox 3.6

• Fixed sorting of Trackable logs to be by the log date rather than the date it was last modified

• Fixed bug causing the thumbnail map on cache pages to not display an indication that it is loading in either IE or Chrome

• Removed cache size dropdown for Mega and CITO events

• Updated Friends page to display date in the user's preferred format

• When viewing the list of a user's finds the column normally titled "Last Found" will now say "Found by User"

• Fixed bug where the formatting of a multi-paragraph cache log is not retained when viewed in the Geocaches section of the profile.

• Fixed issue causing dropdown navigation to fail when viewed on mobile browsers

• Fixed bug which caused a Trackable log to not immediately display in the profile quick view

• The checkbox to "Add to your Favorites" has been removed for cache owners when posting a log to a cache they own

• Updated text in post-log Favorites Points messaging to be less chatty

• Updated Statistics page to display date in the user's preferred format

Many thanks to all geocachers who have provided feedback on User Voice. Happy Geocaching!

Is this why the site's down, again?

Yes, but it will nearly be back... they annouced the site would be down two days ago ;)

Where? Not by email, Facebook or Twitter.

It was a big yellow (I think, I'm colour-blind =P) band on the top of the geocaching.com site... you couldn't miss it if you came on it the last two days. Anyway, it's back now ;)

For me gc.com appears to have gone back down as I can't connect to it, its fine on everything else and was working fine once it had come back up from maintainence. Also beta maps appeared not to be showing anything, posible issue? Before it stoped working again.

Domo!!!

Did GC.com go down again just now???

Was in the midst of uploading a picture, and all of a sudden, no go... :unsure:

Domo again!!!

And GC.com is up again. HOT fix?

Look forward to experiencing all the improvements!

Thanks Lackeys & Hampsters!

For example in firefox 5, trying to see caches lists a immediate to maps-beta appears. Didn't anyone recognize this significant bug?

I guess you are using the Greasemonkey script "GC Little Helper" - you can turn off the redirection to the maps in its options!

Hi!

Sorry, but you missed to mention that the old map no longer allows filtering of the different cache types :-( All the fields are greyed out and as I still don't like the new map too much (because of still missing features) that simply is quite bad for me...

New map dislikes:

- how cache symbols are shown. I do like the old style (symbol in white box) way more. The new symbols are too small in my eyes and very hard to see.

- PQ functionality: There's simply an option missing where you can show only the result of the PQ and no other caches. That's exactly why I do PQs most of the time. I simply don't want to see all the rest...

- low number of cache type symbols. Why can't you show all the different symbols on the map like before? WAY easier to find caches one might like.

New map likes:

- possible size of the map (my screen's resolution is 2560*1600)

- speed seems to be better

- 500 cache limit gone

So in the end I simply would like to see the old map be fully usable at least as long the new map can't fully compete.

Thanks,

Christian

P.S.: Page width still is fixed :-(

Domo!!!

Did GC.com go down again just now???

Was in the midst of uploading a picture, and all of a sudden, no go... :unsure:

Domo again!!!

And GC.com is up again. HOT fix?

Look forward to experiencing all the improvements!

Thanks Lackeys & Hampsters!

Sorry, but the Hampsters retired as of the May release of the site. They just couldn't digest SQLite. If you'd like to read more, you can read about Hammy's New Home. Of course, you can Also lnput in an adoption request for one as well.

The Steaks

Is the Fixed Width discussion for Cache Pages still open?

Would love to know if I need to update my 20 cache pages to accommodate for this.

I'd guess 'when pigs fly' is when we can expect that. Stupid update that makes the site less useful, and ruined many cache pages, and mystery caches. But it made something better for IPad 2.5.7 users! So the rest of us have to suffere through that mistake. Oh, well. Not holding my breath. Who care sif the feedback tab interferes with reading a cache page???

Good work, but still full of bugs. For example in firefox 5, trying to see caches lists a immediate to maps-beta appears. Didn't anyone recognize this significant bug?

can you try that again in english please?

besides, FF5 has only been around for just a little over a week...how exactly do you expect them to find and fix such bugs in such short time? :blink:

Hi!

Sorry, but you missed to mention that the old map no longer allows filtering of the different cache types :-( All the fields are greyed out and as I still don't like the new map too much (because of still missing features) that simply is quite bad for me...

New map dislikes:

- how cache symbols are shown. I do like the old style (symbol in white box) way more. The new symbols are too small in my eyes and very hard to see.

- PQ functionality: There's simply an option missing where you can show only the result of the PQ and no other caches. That's exactly why I do PQs most of the time. I simply don't want to see all the rest...

- low number of cache type symbols. Why can't you show all the different symbols on the map like before? WAY easier to find caches one might like.

New map likes:

- possible size of the map (my screen's resolution is 2560*1600)

- speed seems to be better

- 500 cache limit gone

So in the end I simply would like to see the old map be fully usable at least as long the new map can't fully compete.

Thanks,

Christian

Agreed with all of this ^^

Hello,

since the last update yesterday, GC Live (http://live.geocaching.com) does the software not working properly. There are now caches all downloaded again, even those I've already found.

I've already disabled the automatic download. Even if I leave the download cache manually, I also already found to be displayed.

Please change this.

Many greetings Andi

Hi!

New map dislikes:

The white boxes covered up too much of the adjoining terrain. I'd actually like the cache symbol to be even smaller. Remember the little red dot on Topozone?

Hi!

New map dislikes:

The white boxes covered up too much of the adjoining terrain. I'd actually like the cache symbol to be even smaller. Remember the little red dot on Topozone?

O.k., might be I need to say something more about that :-)

I'm fine with small symbols in general but in this case they don't really are in big contrast to the map. That's why I like the old style way more. And I also absolutely don't like one type for symbol for different types of caches...

Bye,

Christian

Althougth there was an update there is still a (perhaps unknown) bug:

As a cache owner I've got the probability to mark an TB that is checked-in into my cache as missing.

This function does not work when German language is selected in Geocachers Profile.

When I'm on the site of such a TB and mark the item as missing (by "mark Item missing" -> "Go") the entry "mark Item missing" in the drop-down box gets doubled every time I hit "Go".

When I change my language preselection in ma account details to English this function works fine!

This behaviour is reproducable at least in IE9 and FF5.

Yours Revi.

Althougth there was an update there is still a (perhaps unknown) bug:

As a cache owner I've got the probability to mark an TB that is checked-in into my cache as missing.

This function does not work when German language is selected in Geocachers Profile.

When I'm on the site of such a TB and mark the item as missing (by "mark Item missing" -> "Go") the entry "mark Item missing" in the drop-down box gets doubled every time I hit "Go".

When I change my language preselection in ma account details to English this function works fine!

This behaviour is reproducable at least in IE9 and FF5.

Yours Revi.

Thanks, Revi. I can reproduce this and have reactivated a related bug in our database.

I cannot say is this is geocaching.com update related, but starting yesterday, when I receive an email (only on my iphone, not through yahoo) notifying me of activity on a cache I am watching, an email for new caches published, or a message from someone through the geocaching.com website, the email is nothing but gibberish.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

I cannot say is this is geocaching.com update related, but starting yesterday, when I receive an email (only on my iphone, not through yahoo) notifying me of activity on a cache I am watching, an email for new caches published, or a message from someone through the geocaching.com website, the email is nothing but gibberish.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

Is being discussed here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=276966

I just clicked 'Print Version (0 logs)' and saw my cache page nicely fit to the entire width of my (broad) screen.

What a joy!!

The "Print version" has been doing that all along, at least in FireFox.

If only we could convince them to do that to the regular cache pages!!!!!! :rolleyes:

But the PM cache filters no longer work (grayed out) on the old maps. :angry:

Another example of "fixing" something that ain't broke ! :bad:

What is the status of getting rid of the fixed width which only seems to favor the few smartphone users at the expense of the rest of us?

They have just declined the request. [:(]

Please open a new idea to help us gauge support for this issue in light of these new changes.

Time for a new one?

One additional annotation by me, it's no bug but even no feature:

On the site of an Trackable and as the owner of it I've got the possibility to move it with the drop-down menu below "Actions" into the inventory although it is already in the inventory when it is marked as not collectible. For this action even an log entry is added.

When I mark the Trackable as collectible I've got the possibility to move it from the inventory (where it atm is) into the collection. This function is correct.

But I don't think that the first described function is intended to be there on purpose.

Yours Revi.

I'm looking at the Beta Maps and I note the disabled cache GC2YXY1. Being familiar with the area, I'm curious as there is not supposed to be a cache at that spot. It turns out that it was never published. It won't be published as it is only 70' from an existing cache published by the same owner, yesterday.

So, the question is, are unpublished caches showing on the beta map, or is this just an anomaly with this particular cache?

Edited by Don_J

I'm looking at the Beta Maps and I note the disabled cache GC2YXY1. Being familiar with the area, I'm curious as there is not supposed to be a cache at that spot. It turns out that it was never published. It won't be published as it is only 70' from an existing cache published by the same owner, yesterday.

So, the question is, are unpublished caches showing on the beta map, or is this just an anomaly with this particular cache?

There's one near me that was published, then quickly retracted as it is in a closed area. Still shows up on the Beta map.

There's one near me that was published, then quickly retracted as it is in a closed area. Still shows up on the Beta map.

I just found the cache in my GSAK database, so it must have been retracted.

How about fixing it so iPad users, can see caches on the BETA maps?

Same for iphones. Beta Map is close to useless as it is now on the iphone. Takes a long time for the caches to show up on the map, change to different type of map, can't even use the "Back to original maps".etc

Edited by jellis

The new maps beta is very slow today. Takes ages to draw anything, retrieve map tiles, caches, etc. Also, seems to hog my CPU. Using Safari on a Mac. Can't believe I'm the only one :unsure: On the other hand, the original maps are fine, nice n speedy.

I've isolated the problem - Safari Extensions affecting java. :D