Mystery coins

Panther&Pine

Usually it's where they come from that's a mystery.

Some kind and generous person has a coin minted and instead of selling or trading it the send it out anonymously to other cachers.

When you receive one in your mailbox it is most likely addressed to you from you so you don't know who or where it came from.

I have been lucky enough to receive a few and I'm very thankful.

What makes a mystery coin a mystery coin?

I've always wondere, but never really thought about it till now.

It's a mystery who created the coin.

It's a mystery who sent it or snuck it into you pocket if you receive one.

It's a mystery who to thank!

Very mysterious business .... :)

Usually, they are paid for by an individual and minted in secrecy. Distributed into caches or mailboxes as gifts (rather than being sold or traded). And typically, they aren't advertised by the mystery giver. So it's a total secret.

Edit to add: And all the mystery coiners meet once a year a hidden location to meet, greet and be merry!

Edited by avroair

It's a mystery who created the coin.

It's a mystery who sent it or snuck it into you pocket if you receive one.

It's a mystery who to thank!

Very mysterious business .... :)

:) :)

How does this mystery person get a cacher's address? Do they use Santa's list of who is Naughty or Nice? :P

Its very mysterious how they get your address. :ph34r: Sometimes its a person that you perhaps traded with in the past or they could pull your address off of the geocoin forum user address database (see here). In one case(Mr. Gray) they controlled my mind and had me send them my address. I think they use the mind-control more often then not as the envelope is usually addressed to you but is also from you. :huh:

This is so cool! I had never heard of this. I kinda had a similar experience... At a sizable event with 45 newly releasd caches and let another cacher sign a log before me so he wouldn't be separated from his group. He stepped away and, while I was signing the log myself, he slipped back & dropped a coin in my pack (my sister saw him do it). Awesome!