Muggled while CITO

I had what to me was an interesting muggling. I was searching for a cache in a local park today. There is a surprising amount of trash in the park so I collected some of it on my way back to the car. As I came out of the woods with two beer cans a lady saw me with the cans and started looking for the park rules sign and kept looking over her shoulder at me. As with many parks in our area, I believe that alcohol is prohibited in the park. Lucky for me she did not say anything to me about the beer cans. I do not believe I would have reacted kindly after her and the man she was with walked by most of the trash I was picking up to throw in the dumpster. I am sure I would have at least asked her why she had not picked up any of the trash. Something I picked up sure did stink. After I got back into the car I could smell it and drove home with my hand out of the window.

I wish I had brought a trash bag with me to collect more trash; it was an impromptu search so I only had the GPS and a pen.

We should all use this as an example. As soon as I have enough finds to start hiding, I have no issue with adding a few small trash bags to larger caches. You'd be surprised how small a wal mart bag can get...We should ALL be doing this. Found a bag in a cache? Fill it with local detritus. CITO 24-7-365. It won't kill you.

Keep baby wipes in the car. They have small resealable containers that you can just slide under the front seat and use as needed. Perfect for all sorts of unexpected situations. :)

I will need to do this with the baby wipes. What ever it was that smelled I did not notice until I was in the car.

Keep baby wipes in the car. They have small resealable containers that you can just slide under the front seat and use as needed. Perfect for all sorts of unexpected situations. :)

Sounds like someone has kids.

I never would have considered this myself. Since having kids, even my summer toy car has a package of wipes tucked away just in case.

I always have to carry bags to pick up dog poo, so when I started caching it was natural for me to just reach in my pocket for a baggie. Now I roll up a baggie and place it in a diabetic test strip vial and put the whole thing into caches that are large enough.

Empty alcohol containers are a tough one, though. I'm hesitant to pick those up because I don't want to get pulled over by a cop and have roadies in my vehicle. I doubt that would happen....but still. If there isn't a trash can nearby the cache location, I leave the alcohol containers.

I carry Nitrile gloves and small "trash" bags with me, in the car and on me while I search. The Gloves I bought at Harbor tool and freight for $5.00 box ( 40 gloves ), the bags, well, any used grocery bag will do as long as they don't have a hole in the bottom. I have not used them yet, as I am still new at this and I have not run into any trash. But if I do, I will pick it up.

Happy hunting all!!!

:anibad:

We always make it a point to pick up SOMETHING, even if we can't carry out every piece of trash we see, bag or no bag. Our Girl Scouts are all trained to remember that a Girl Scout leaves a place better than she found it, and that means never walking over a piece of trash without picking it up. So, the transition to CITO was a natural. Our girls can't believe there are patches and awards for doing what they see was their natural duty. I wouldn't pick up a single alcohol container, but have no problem placing them in the bag along with all the other trash. Just the amount of dirt on the can or bottle should make my intentions clear should a cop actually want to sift through the entire bag. For me, CITO is just one more feel-good thing about an already terrific hobby/sport.

That's almost funny, Skank...I got muggled while walking around with my GPS near what later turned out to be a meth lab. I just flashed my retired Army ID and said I was "looking over the area" and they (he and she) left. Later I checked with my PD and found out they were junkies. Whoever thought that Geocaching would be a combat sport?!? The garbage bag idea is a good one...I always keep one in my "Go Bag" which includes my cell phone, my amateur radio handheld, my (recyclable) stainless steel water bottle, camera, various batteries, a personal defense item, and "real" first aid kit. Unless I am GCing in an urban area. I don't leave home without it. Keep walking...keep GCing...and keep safe...Mike (Of OKHHduo)

I had what to me was an interesting muggling. I was searching for a cache in a local park today. There is a surprising amount of trash in the park so I collected some of it on my way back to the car. As I came out of the woods with two beer cans a lady saw me with the cans and started looking for the park rules sign and kept looking over her shoulder at me. As with many parks in our area, I believe that alcohol is prohibited in the park. Lucky for me she did not say anything to me about the beer cans. I do not believe I would have reacted kindly after her and the man she was with walked by most of the trash I was picking up to throw in the dumpster. I am sure I would have at least asked her why she had not picked up any of the trash. Something I picked up sure did stink. After I got back into the car I could smell it and drove home with my hand out of the window.

I wish I had brought a trash bag with me to collect more trash; it was an impromptu search so I only had the GPS and a pen.

BTW...a "pen" was mentioned...I strongly recommend using a pencil instead...pen ink almost always runs when wet and caches usually get wet or high humidity....I went to a multi with a clue inside a pen barrel inside a pipe and it was so wet that we could barely open it...and we are having a drought in Oklahoma! I like to use "indelible" pencils that my dad taught me about 50 years ago...for field notes, they rock. Also, there is a line of "waterproof" note pads...we used these in Special Ops and they do work as advertized...my recent cache has small pencils with the SOF note pad in it. Just a thought...OKHHduo (the guy one).

I always have to carry bags to pick up dog poo, so when I started caching it was natural for me to just reach in my pocket for a baggie. Now I roll up a baggie and place it in a diabetic test strip vial and put the whole thing into caches that are large enough.

Great idea.

I have a ton of those vials around, but can't get my hand on a film canister without paying for it!

Swissgreys

For film canisters, ask at the local walgreens/cvs photo counter. They've always been willing to give up a handful on a moments notice, and when we said they were for our Girl Scout Troop (a couple years ago), they collected several bags full for us over a month. My wife, NCTatter) once called a company that makes little containers like that and they sent her a large box full (2'x2'x2') of various samples. She gives them out to her tatting (lacemaking) guild meetings.

Have fun

Pat

Our Girl Scouts are all trained to remember that a Girl Scout leaves a place better than she found it, and that means never walking over a piece of trash without picking it up. So, the transition to CITO was a natural.

Ditto. If I had seen the OP carrying out those things I would have thought "How nice. He's picking up trash just like I do!"

Empty alcohol containers are a tough one, though. I'm hesitant to pick those up because I don't want to get pulled over by a cop and have roadies in my vehicle. I doubt that would happen....but still. If there isn't a trash can nearby the cache location, I leave the alcohol containers.

I stack them at the beginning of track/front of park so someone can deal to them, I carry the rest out (not too much left after the alcohol <_<) in rubbish bags I pick up from caches. People sometimes give them out as SWAG/FTF prizes in New Zealand, probably the same around the world-...?

Edited by redants

I stack them at the beginning of track/front of park so someone can deal to them, I carry the rest out (not too much left after the alcohol <_<) in rubbish bags I pick up from caches. People sometimes give them out as SWAG/FTF prizes in New Zealand, probably the same around the world-...?

If you can find a 35mm film canisters they make the perfect CITO can, you can fit plastic gorcery bags in them.

As far as the bottles go, I can't see it being an issue if you have them in bags full of trash. IF you haven't been driking and were to be questioned, simply explain you were out cleaning up liter. I use to scrap aluminum and the back of the truck always had a few empties, but I could pass the breathalizer so wasn't worried.

So, the other day me and my wife tried to be FTF on a new cache in our homezone and when we arrived at GZ found out that it was a beautiful lake site in an area full of wildlife.... while in perfect view of the surrounding mugglehouses!

So we took out our latex gloves and garbage bags from my "Beuteltiger" and started to CITO, always looking for the cache itself, when suddenly the owner appeared, in fear we would also accidently collect the Cache, hidden in a bottle which was firmly attached to a fitting tube in the ground! Quite hard to find actually!

While i always carry said gloves and bags, i was happy to have wet wipes in the car, to clean my oddsmeling hands afterwards!

Conclusion: ALWAYS be PREPARED for CITO!

I have never posted on a forum, but this is a very cool topic! I'm now planning on getting the following incase I ever go to a CITO event...

Sturdy garden gloves, trash bags (probably scented), some doggie bag packs, some film canisters, baby wipes and hand sanitizer. Should I keep anything else in mind? :smile: