Final decision time!

...the delorme pn-60 or the garmin oregon 450?

Which has better:

Accuracy?

battery?

Geocaching?

Easiest to use for a first time user?

etc.

the cheapest I found for the delorme was 250 and the garmin was 300.

Please help me decide. :)

State your opinion.

Delorme pn-60 vs. garmin oregon 450

Between those two, the Oregon 450. But whatever you buy, buy it from some place that has a liberal return policy, because personally I have owned and am not fond of either of those units.

If you don't like either you could tell me a different option.

Which has better:

Accuracy?

battery?

Geocaching?

etc.

State your opinion.

In my opinion the Oregon 450 is easier to use out of the box, but you will need to spend some money for maps. Plan on $80 for City Navigator NT for street maps.

Those 2 units perform the same, but the Oregon has a bigger screen with higher resolution and the touchscreen makes it easier & more intuitive to use. The PN-60's lower resolution screen makes it a little easier to see in certain lighting conditions, but the user interface, menus and settings are a lot more challenging for first time users, and the mapping program has a steep learning curve. The mapping program (TOPO North America) is inexpensive and capable, but clunky and difficult to use in my personal experience.

Which has better:

Accuracy?

battery?

Geocaching?

etc.

State your opinion.

I went with the 450 because I found it easier to use. The PN series are really good GPS units but I found it to be just more difficult to move through the menus. The one advantage the PN's do have is the all you can download maps for $30/yr.

Personally I would recommend going to a store that has them and play with both to see which you like better. Both are good units though.

My budget changed :(, It now has to be under $200.

Would the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx be a reliable gps?

Can you do paperless geocaching?

Average Waypoints?

If this is a bad choice what is a better gps under 200 with an electronic compass preferablly 3-axis I now the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx doesn't have a 3-axis.

Average Waypoints?

If this is a bad choice what is a better gps under 200 with an electronic compass preferablly 3-axis I now the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx doesn't have a 3-axis.

The eTrex Hcx (I like the Legend, Vista has the 2-axis compass, not worth the extra $$ IMHO)is a good unit, and you can make it sorta paperless just like the 60Csx. The older units all average waypoints, you just let it gather data for 1-3 minutes and it works pretty well. Since you have budget constraints, you might look at the PN-40 instead, more bang for the buck and a true paperless unit. Also the Dakota 20 but I'm not sure on pricing.

Average Waypoints?

The eTrex Hcx (I like the Legend, Vista has the 2-axis compass, not worth the extra $$ IMHO)is a good unit, and you can make it sorta paperless just like the 60Csx. The older units all average waypoints, you just let it gather data for 1-3 minutes and it works pretty well. Since you have budget constraints, you might look at the PN-40 instead, more bang for the buck and a true paperless unit. Also the Dakota 20 but I'm not sure on pricing.

The legend is the same price as the vista which is better? Does the legend have a compass? I have a smartphone with the official app but my gps is horrible so paperless isn't a deciding factor for me. Do you know anything about the new etrex line should I wait for the etrex 20 or would I be fine with the current gps's out? I am pretty clueless at getting a new gps as you can probably tell I have gotten to many mixed reviews.

For what it's worth, the TOPO software that comes with the PN-40/60 is software for the *computer*, not the gpsr. It's useful if you want to save and edit track files, or create a track on the computer and download to the gpsr. If you don't care about doing any of that, you won't even need to install it on your computer. Map sections can be loaded to the PN-40/60 directly from the included disks, and Delorme has a free download program called Cache Register that makes transferring PQ's and field notes really easy. The Delorme units have a few drawbacks--I think the detailed maps are only for North America, and they aren't compatible with some of the free maps out there that Garmin units can use. I have the PN-40, and it does eat up batteries pretty fast. But overall, it's a great "everything included, bang-for-your-buck" gpsr. It takes some time to just sit down and figure out what all the menu options are, but once you get a feel for everything, it's not difficult to use. I love the paperless feature--I personally wouldn't want to be without it.

Average Waypoints?

The legend is the same price as the vista which is better? Does the legend have a compass? I have a smartphone with the official app but my gps is horrible so paperless isn't a deciding factor for me. Do you know anything about the new etrex line should I wait for the etrex 20 or would I be fine with the current gps's out? I am pretty clueless at getting a new gps as you can probably tell I have gotten to many mixed reviews.

The Vista has an electronic compass that works even when you're not moving (2-axis only, so you need to hold it level). The Legend requires movement for the compass to point accurately. The 2-axis compass is not a huge advantage IMHO but if the price is the same, you might as well get it. The Vista is almost exactly the same as the 60CSx except for the smaller form factor and it doesn't have the great (but large) quad helix antenna.

Rank these on best for geocaching, my decision has to be made by today because a sale that caaught my eye ends tomorrow if I want a certain one

Delorme pn-60

Garmin etrex vista hcx

Garmin etrex 20 (I know it hasn't came out yet but rank on how you think it will do)

For the etrex 20 can you get updates, since it will be new at first it will be buggy.

For paperless geocaching I agree the PN-60 would be the choice among the alternatives you have mentioned. I hated the Topo software, but lots of people really rave about their PN-40s and PN-60s, so it probably has a lot of charms that weren't that apparent to me during the short time I owned one.