Size of a bison tube relative to a AA battery or AAA battery?

d+n.s

I need a small container to fit in a rubber bat's mouth for a multi (possibly an urban night cache) I'm making near a popular bat related attraction in my area.

The only things that fit in the bat's mouth are a AAA battery (it fits nicely) and a AA battery (better size for a log, but it protrudes a bit.

Can anyone provide some recommendations on what size bison (or another micro container to use) to use?

Some photos of possible containers next to a battery would be awesome.

I'm not used to dealing with bison tubes and such, but I think this would be a cache I would enjoy finding (the location is as special as the goofy camo), so I suppose its time to learn...

Help? Don't want to waste my money and I can't find one locally so far.

EDIT: I'm very interested in the one they sell in the GC.com shop because it unscrews at the bottom and I like to throw them a dime or two when they have what I want.

Edited by d+n.s

Your profile says that you are from Austin, TX. I see that Austin has three REI stores. You should be able to find Bison tubes in the geocaching rack in any of those stores.

I never noticed any in the one I go to (that's where I by my TBs sometimes) but I wasn't looking for one either. their selection has shrunk in the geocaching section with each visit... but I should go look if it comes down to it. It's a bit out of my way even for the closest one.

Thanks for the idea. Forgot about them.

Bison tubes are approximately the same Outside Diameter as AA battery, possibly a couple millimetres smaller. A bison tube should do nicely for your rubber bat.

Interesting, thanks.

Edited by d+n.s

According to Cacheopedia:

A bison tube is a small, metal, water-tight cylindrical container that can be used for micro-caches. These containers are usually small enough to fit on a keychain, and were originally designed to hold pills. The name is derived from the company which manufactures most of these types of tubes, Bison Designs.

Available sizes include:

• 2 3/8 x 5/8 in / 60 x 16 mm (Small)
  • 2 3/4 x 5/8 in / 70 x 16 mm (Large)
  • 2 x 3/4 in / 50 x 20 mm (Scuba Tank or Micro-Cache Capsule)
  • 3 x 1 in / 75 x 25 mm (Extra Large)

180px-BisonTube.jpg

Bison tubes are approximately the same Outside Diameter as AA battery, possibly a couple millimetres smaller. A bison tube should do nicely for your rubber bat.

They're also typically a bit shorter. Bison is actually a brand name for a metal capsule tube with a threaded "cap" and an o-ring. There are numerous knock-offs of various sizes just as there are containers which look like Lock-n-lock containers but are not Lock-n-lock brand containers.

I have actually found a cache that was a bison tube stuck in a the mouth of a rubber bat.