browser support

dave and jaime

I use Netscape 7.0 most of the time here. I have not noticed any trouble with either.

Two or three times I have noticed a dropped post though, I think this happens when I am replying to a first post, and while I am typing the original poster deletes his post. I am guessing this because afterwards I can not find the original topic or my post.

Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun.

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

If you have Windows why aren't you using IE?

In my case, because it's slow and bloated--typical MS software.

I'm using Mozilla with no problems (except those caused by my own inability to type well

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

You could try saving the file and then opening the file by double-clicking on it or opening it from within EasyGPS. This has worked for me in the past.

As for browsers, I've been using Mozilla on Windows since Milestone 17 or 18, and Mozilla 1.0 since I converted to Linux about 2 months ago. Never had a problem with the site.

wcgreen: Are you using Mozilla on Windows? My other computer is running Win98 and the Back button in Mozilla does not work. Neither does Back from the Go menu or the right-click menu. The only way I can go back is via the history list in the Go menu.

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by dave and jaime:

having difficulties downloading waypoints to easygps using netscape 7.0? easygps says it is unable to open file of that type, i have used easygps before any ideas? went and did it with ie 5 no trouble.

Actually, that is a glitch I noticed and forgot. When it prompts to save, select save to disk instead of open, and make sure the filename is *.loc, not *.loc.asp - for some reason Netscape 7 wants to save and open it as an asp file. Alternatively, you can just save the file and rename it to *.loc afterward.

it was saved as a *.loc file but when i doubled clicked a program in windows tried to open it. i then tried to open it from within easygps and it said it could not open a file of that format. i wonder if netscape 7.0 did something to it when i down loaded it, when i went back and got the made the file from within ie it was no problem.

Hmm, not the same issue I guess then. I just downloaded the same file from both IE and Netscape, and both files internally are identical except Netscape wanting the extension different. They both opened fine in Easy GPS. EsyGPS still will not open it with the asp extension (which is to be expected).

quote:

what browsers does this site support? i am using netscape 7.0 and sometimes there are unexpected problems that have resulted in lost postings and the like.

Jeremy hand-codes all the html on the Geocaching.com site, and its all really straight forward and nothing funky. Basically any browser, including pretty old ones should have no trouble rendering the pages.

The forums require a more up to date browser. I think any version 4 or greater browser should be able to work with the forums, but the newer the better. Netscape 7 shouldn't have any issues.

-Elias

quote:
Originally posted by rdw:

wcgreen: Are you using Mozilla on Windows? My other computer is running Win98 and the Back button in Mozilla does not work. Neither does Back from the Go menu or the right-click menu. The only way I can go back is via the history list in the Go menu.

mozilla 1.0 under NT. All the "bacK' features work.

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

Ok, I guess I'll throw a monkey wrench into the works...

I use Opera 6.mumble under Windows 98SE. I'm slowly migrating away from Microsoft products, and hope to be under OpenBSD 100% as soon as I find a good way to deal with my Sony CLIE.

Anywhoo, the web site some times does not look good under Opera. I'm not complaining - I've been using Opera for quite some time now, and just deal with it. Deviate from the standard, and all that. But if the site is handcoded, then I wonder if some non-WC3 complaint tags are used?

For specific - the My Cache page looks a little funky. See this sample. The same effects occur during printing.

----------

One banana, two banana, three banana, four.

Four bananas make a bunch and so do many more.

quote:

i just tried it again, and windows tried to open the geocaching.loc file as a 'frontpage' type document. i then tried to open the file in easygps and it told me to check with topografix.com??

OK, One more stab at this...

Download a loc file for the the same single cache from both Netscape and IE.

If both are truly *.loc files, you should have to rename the second one you download (since by default both would be named geocaching.loc).

If both are truly *.loc files, both should have the same icon. If the one from Netscape does not have the normal happy face with GPS next to it, it probably is an *.asp file and your system is not showing it for some reason. Front Page could be set up to open *.asp files - mine is set up like that.

Rename the file anyway, even if it is *.loc. change it to test.loc or something. Then try it again.

Open both files with Window's Notepad. Both files should have identical text. Hard to imagine this could happen.

I'd question file assosiations as well, but if it opens the file downloaded from IE works fine then that should be ok.

If you try all those, one of them should enlighten the situation, let us know...

Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Just go away, your blocking my GPS signal!