Sample coins?

Nikon-ing

I received a Partners in Caching ZEPHYR coin in a trade. I also have the Carwyn coin and dhenninger's personal. (I believe the 2 dogs belong to dhenninger, correct?)

My question is...when I enter the tracking number for the Zephyr coin, it tells me that it's an Oakcoins Sample Geocoin. Do sample coins really come with true tracking numbers? I have other sample coins, but the area is blank where the tracking number would be.

I received a Partners in Caching ZEPHYR coin in a trade. I also have the Carwyn coin and dhenninger's personal. (I believe the 2 dogs belong to dhenninger, correct?)

My question is...when I enter the tracking number for the Zephyr coin, it tells me that it's an Oakcoins Sample Geocoin. Do sample coins really come with true tracking numbers? I have other sample coins, but the area is blank where the tracking number would be.

Most companies will just put SAMPLE or XXXXXX or something advertising their company on sample coins. It looks like Oakcoins purchased a set of tracking numbers to put on all their samples. They even bought an icon for them. So, although it is a Partners in Caching coin, and it is trackable, it won't have the PiC icon.

I make sample coins for our store with a single unique tracking code. So yes, you can log any of our samples and get a unique icon. For personal coin customers, some send me unique tracking codes that share an icon with their full run coins. Others use my generic tracking code. I rarely leave a coin blank, however in the old days sample coins made by us were all blank. Which just caused issues, because we couldn't tell if they were a sample, or a mis/non engraved production coin.

TMA

I have one sample coin too, it is a pandamonium sample with real tracking number and icon from the oakcoin sample...

Yes about 4 years ago Oakcoins started putting OS codes on their sample to make the trackable. The sample is a different icon than the regular coin.

I think Cache Addict and GCC do it too.

I am pretty new to designing geocoins, but I always put tracking numbers on my samples. My reasoning is that is only adds $1.50 to the production cost of each coin, but makes the coins much more valuable when selling. In addition, often you get samples that don't look very good, so they will never be put into full production. However, buyers like unique coins so the samples can be sold and everyone wins.

I've had samples made of four of my geocoin designs. Only two were allocated serial numbers - both of these sets had a generic Oakcoins icon/distribution name. The first one was very useful to take to events before the production run was completed - people were able to discover the coin and at the same time it was a way of marketing the geocoin.

Since this was also a joint venture with regards to the design that went into it, I used this Geocoin's page as a "credits" page listing all those who had contributed to the design.

Other coins I've designed I've gone straight into production, being confident that they'll look good and others I've not asked to be trackable - these come back with SAMPLE.

All my Geocoins have been produced by Oakcoins, with the exception of the ones I made from Welsh Slate at the beginning of this year which were hand crafted and laser etched by a local craftsman and bought serial numbers directly from Groundspeak.