MINGO in jeopardy?

I wonder how many bothered to take a look at the cheap throw down container

9458f000-d35f-415a-a0ab-aa31ed46268c.jpg

Yup. Gotta agree with that. My wife bought me a set of these from Target, when they stopped carrying Lock & Locks.

While they are not as crappy as Gladware, the pressure relief button in the lid keeps it from being even remotely waterproof.

Locally, there's a trend amongst throw-down cachers to use the crappiest container they can find.

Looks like parts of Kansas suffer from the same problem.

Glad to see Kansas Stasher will be replacing that one.

I wonder how many bothered to take a look at the cheap throw down container

9458f000-d35f-415a-a0ab-aa31ed46268c.jpg

Yup. Gotta agree with that. My wife bought me a set of these from Target, when they stopped carrying Lock & Locks.

While they are not as crappy as Gladware, the pressure relief button in the lid keeps it from being even remotely waterproof.

Locally, there's a trend amongst throw-down cachers to use the crappiest container they can find.

Looks like parts of Kansas suffer from the same problem.

Glad to see Kansas Stasher will be replacing that one.

Really, it's not nice to cut my quote in half so it means something other than what I meant. I was shooting for sarcasm at those that went on for three days as if these people had threw down a leaky 35mm film can and the cache was in grave danger.

I'm not familiar with that container, but it looks rather sturdy from the photos, (I stand corrected on that). That and the fact that it is fairly large, and full of swag leads me to believe that the CO could delay his maintenance visit for quite some time.

Really, it's not nice to cut my quote in half so it means something other than what I meant. I was shooting for sarcasm at those that went on for three days as if these people had threw down a leaky 35mm film can and the cache was in grave danger.

I'm not familiar with that container, but it looks rather sturdy from the photos, (I stand corrected on that). That and the fact that it is fairly large, and full of swag leads me to believe that the CO could delay his maintenance visit for quite some time.

My apologies. I didn't see the sarcasm. In rereading your post, I see it clearly, so the fault is mine, not yours. I was too fast on the keyboard, and too slow with my eyes.

As to the container, they are pretty darn stout. Nice, thick walled plastic, and a thick, resilient gasket. Their are only two real problems with them. One, is the relief valve thingy in the lid. Great design for folks reheating their dinner in a microwave. Horrible design for a container full of trinkets in the wild. A blob of caulk will take care of that one, and you'd have a fairly waterproof container. The other issue is the tabs that hold the lid on. They don't lock down very well. With the set I got, you could snap the lids down, set them on the counter, and watch some of the tabs pop back up. Not sure if there's a way to fix that, as I gave up on them at that point.

But yes, they are much better than the typical 35mm throwdown. B)

Great design for folks reheating their dinner in a microwave. Horrible design for a container full of trinkets in the wild.

I love this... Every once in a while I really have to remind myself that I'm using a lot of products for purposes the manufacturers never intended.

I was boating with my brother-in-law yesterday and he was using a Pelican container to hold his wallet and phone while we were out on the water. I was thinking that was a *brilliant* idea to use the box like that (how clever!) until I remembered that that's actually what Pelican sells them for!

My apologies. I didn't see the sarcasm. In rereading your post, I see it clearly, so the fault is mine, not yours. I was too fast on the keyboard, and too slow with my eyes.

As to the container, they are pretty darn stout. Nice, thick walled plastic, and a thick, resilient gasket. Their are only two real problems with them. One, is the relief valve thingy in the lid. Great design for folks reheating their dinner in a microwave. Horrible design for a container full of trinkets in the wild. A blob of caulk will take care of that one, and you'd have a fairly waterproof container. The other issue is the tabs that hold the lid on. They don't lock down very well. With the set I got, you could snap the lids down, set them on the counter, and watch some of the tabs pop back up. Not sure if there's a way to fix that, as I gave up on them at that point.

But yes, they are much better than the typical 35mm throwdown. B)

You have to train them. Set it on the counter and firmly say, "Stay, Stay".

not sure why you posted here, which put this topic back on the top of the boards and then less than 20 minutes later, started another new topic.

Simple. One thread is to talk about Mingo missing again. This thread is to rant against someone dropping a throw-down last time. :lol:

EDIT: Oops, sorry, didn't see the other thread was closed, in favor of this one. So yeah, it was apparently taken, and the hole filled up mostly with foam insulation.

Edited by Mr.Yuck
Stopped by Mingo last night. It is gone again. This time they filled up the hole with insulation foam and covered it with dirt. Ready the logs.

Hate to say it, but may it's time to retire Mingo?

At the very least it will have to wait for the construction to finish and the new condition of the area to be reappraised.

Stopped by Mingo last night. It is gone again. This time they filled up the hole with insulation foam and covered it with dirt. Ready the logs.

Hate to say it, but may it's time to retire Mingo?

At the very least it will have to wait for the construction to finish and the new condition of the area to be reappraised.

As I suggested before, until it's known that it wasn't the property owner/manager that removed the container and refilled the hole, it's probably not a good idea to just replace the container.

Well, I've never had the chance to find Mingo, but the good news is that if it goes away there will always be another "oldest active cache" to take its place -- we'll never run out of those.

Got a point there. The winner would be GC12 in Oregon which is only a day newer. Appears to be the original 5 gallon bucket, too. Then the 3rd oldest is only another day newer, Beverly, in Illinois.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Well, I've never had the chance to find Mingo, but the good news is that if it goes away there will always be another "oldest active cache" to take its place -- we'll never run out of those.

So, I may have already found what will someday be the oldest active cache? Now, there are some bragging rights!

So, I may have already found what will someday be the oldest active cache? Now, there are some bragging rights!

Who knows? If you wait long enough it is possible, albeit unlikely, that you will have placed the oldest existing cache.

I don't know the specifics but it seems to me that if a road crew worker was close enough to be accused of being the person that may have filled in the hiding spot then somebody didn't use much stealth if they watched the worker watching them. I understand that it is not always possible to pass up a cache and return later because a muggle is watching. I don't know what did or didn't happen but it is possible that this cache like many others is gone because someone was more concerned about getting their smiley than they were with being careful not to be seen retrieving the cache. Just my 2 cents.

Forget the "should it be archived because the container is missing" thread drift.

It might not be thread drift.

Kansas Stasher (owner of Mingo)

It's only been a month since he last checked in, which isn't really that long. No worries at this point. But if Kansas Stasher stays away for, say, three months, would the comments still be off topic? If a container gets stolen, and the owner is no longer playing, should the cache remain active? I always thought a missing cache and a missing owner was reasonable grounds for being archived.

But it ccould be argued that Mingo is not your average, ordinary cache.

If Kansas Stasher does stay away, (I have no reason to think he will, just asking), should an exception be made to keep Mingo alive? After all, there is a cache, of sorts, at ground zero, though it wasn't placed there by the owner. Perhaps a better question would be, if a cache has significant issues, (such as being stolen), and the owner is MIA, and the community is willing to keep it alive, should it be archived?

Looks pretty ordinary to me, a square long profile lock -n lock. In all things life the year 2o00 is not really that old - no? Grown men and ladies traveling the country to find a piece of plastic in the ground. Am I the only one who finds that weird? :P

Forget the "should it be archived because the container is missing" thread drift.

It's only been a month since he last checked in, which isn't really that long. No worries at this point. But if Kansas Stasher stays away for, say, three months, would the comments still be off topic? If a container gets stolen, and the owner is no longer playing, should the cache remain active? I always thought a missing cache and a missing owner was reasonable grounds for being archived.

If Kansas Stasher does stay away, (I have no reason to think he will, just asking), should an exception be made to keep Mingo alive? After all, there is a cache, of sorts, at ground zero, though it wasn't placed there by the owner. Perhaps a better question would be, if a cache has significant issues, (such as being stolen), and the owner is MIA, and the community is willing to keep it alive, should it be archived?

Looks pretty ordinary to me, a square long profile lock -n lock. In all things life the year 2o00 is not really that old - no? Grown men and ladies traveling the country to find a piece of plastic in the ground. Am I the only one who finds that weird? :P

Frankly, Frank... yes. You are.

Edited by knowschad

Frankly, Frank... yes. You are.

You call me weird after all that stuff you just posted on the shortest thread... jajajaja RIGHT! B)

No, you're not. But most people who think seeking plastic boxes is a weird thing to do, don't also have 800+ posts on a geocaching forum. Now that's weird. :laughing:

Edited by The_Incredibles_
In all things life the year 2o00 is not really that old - no?

It's all relative.

My relatives in Europe laugh when I tell them about our attempts to save a building that is 100 years old. "That's not old!"

Even a European castle built in the 1200's is brand-spanking new when looked at in terms of geological time.

For a hobby as young as Geocaching, the year 2000 is practically ancient history. I think that is why we have a tendency to elevate certain caches to iconic status -- an attempt to create symbols and develop a history and legacy for the hobby.

I guess since I was OK with the decision to stick with policy and archive the Washington APE cache and, if Mingo is no longer viable, allowing a new cache to take the "oldest active cache" title makes me an iconoclast of sorts.

No, you're not. But most people who think seeking plastic boxes is a weird thing to do, don't also have 800+ posts on a geocaching forum. Now that's weird. :laughing:

Funny - ya got me....!

Funny - ya got me....!

Plus you are weird enough to go out and find (or try to find)how many pieces of plastic in the woods? and you own over 200 caches?

Funny - ya got me....!

Plus you are weird enough to go out and find (or try to find)how many pieces of plastic in the woods? and you own over 200 caches?

200? I see 33.

He actually has more forum posts (885) than cache finds (598). :laughing:

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I just noticed something. Neither of these things actually exist (the magazine or the cache).

41032_424119177855_16790182855_4725748_4122235_n.jpg

That magazine died years ago before it really got going. But it did morph into FTF Magazine.

I didn't expect many people to "get" that one, but that is from the alleged 2nd issue of Geocacher Magazine (note the date of "Winter 2010") that was never published. Dude published one issue in 2007 and disappeared. Then he amazingly reappeared in 2010, taking money from a new generation of non-suspecting Geocachers, and never so much has published his 2nd issue yet. :o For Petes sake, NO!, the first successful print Geocaching magazine, FTF Geocacher has no relation to this con artist.

But hey, at the end of the day, it's a pretty nice picture of what the Mingo cache looked like from 2000-2010. RIP.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Funny - ya got me....!

I do, news to me.....

Funny - ya got me....!

200? I see 33.

He actually has more forum posts (885) than cache finds (598). :laughing:

Actually actually I have way more forum posts than that too, they all do not make the post clicker thingie click to the next number <_<

Back to mingo, still to me it seems that is not a special cache - a date alone a cache does not make. The only tree in sight is a dead one with wire all over it!

Edited by Frank Broughton

Needs to bump this up again.

My question is, why people are logging this cache when the cache isnt there? There is one that logged the find and the next person put a "throw down" in place.

Keep it up guys, thats really a good way to get that cache locked for good.

My question is, why people are logging this cache when the cache isnt there? There is one that logged the find and the next person put a "throw down" in place.

And why has the cache listing not been disabled until the nearby construction issues, and a determination of who actually filled in the holes can be resolved.

And why has the cache listing not been disabled until the nearby construction issues, and a determination of who actually filled in the holes can be resolved.

Thats my question all along. I got a feeling the construction workers are tired of people stopping there.

Thats my question all along. I got a feeling the construction workers are tired of people stopping there.

Me too, I get that feeling. As far as what's going on in the logs, doesn't sound too crazy, one inexperienced cacher claiming a find for finding "the hole", and the very last cacher leaving a bison tube. I mean I know, leaving a bison tube at the site of a missing cache and claiming a find is wrong, but it was done with good intentions, and from a cacher whom I'm sure isn't dropping throw-downs all over the place.

At the very least the cache should be temporarily diabled until the construction crew has moved down the road. It amazes me that there are people watching this cache who's reaction to the hiding spot being filled in for a second time is to hop in the car and go claim their find before it is too late. Not to mention that more than one person also thought the best first thing to do was to get there as fast as possible to drop off a replacement container. I call BS on the good intentions argument. I would bet that placing a new container to justify getting a smiley on an obviously missing cache far outweighed any thoughts of the greater good of the geocaching community. As they say, The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

We have to ask:

Imagine the situation: What if The Kansas Stasher asked the person to place the temporary bison tube?

If the person who placed the bison tube didn't do it and The Kansas Stasher came by and placed a temporary bison tube, would Team 360 get their panties all in a bunch still? (probably)

We offered a valid point and the point is this: there is a valid container at the exact place that MINGO is listed to be. The current construction prevents the replacement of the original or like container at those coordinates. Instead of keeping this oldest active cache in the world, it seems as though Team 360 would rather see it archived. What a joke.

Troll (Internet): In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted".

While the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels subjective, with trolling describing intentionally provocative actions outside of an online context. For example, mass media uses troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."

We have to ask:

Imagine the situation: What if The Kansas Stasher asked the person to place the temporary bison tube?

If the person who placed the bison tube didn't do it and The Kansas Stasher came by and placed a temporary bison tube, would Team 360 get their panties all in a bunch still? (probably)

We offered a valid point and the point is this: there is a valid container at the exact place that MINGO is listed to be. The current construction prevents the replacement of the original or like container at those coordinates. Instead of keeping this oldest active cache in the world, it seems as though Team 360 would rather see it archived. What a joke.

Troll (Internet): In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted".

While the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels subjective, with trolling describing intentionally provocative actions outside of an online context. For example, mass media uses troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."

Oh, I see there is some new log activity on the cache page. :lol:

I will resist the temptation to post the definition of Throw-down (Internet). :o Mainly because while I don't agree with throw-down's, I'd never go posting notes on someone else's cache page about it.

There is construction in the area. The cache has been muggled twice, most likely by highly annoyed construction workers. I realize it's a once in a lifetime experience to be driving by with a chance to find Mingo for most, but the thing should really be disabled for the duration of construction.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

We have to ask:

Oh, I see there is some new log activity on the cache page. :lol:

I will resist the temptation to post the definition of Throw-down (Internet). :o Mainly because while I don't agree with throw-down's, I'd never go posting notes on someone else's cache page about it.

There is construction in the area. The cache has been muggled twice, most likely by highly annoyed construction workers. I realize it's a once in a lifetime experience to be driving by with a chance to find Mingo for most, but the thing should really be disabled for the duration of construction.

Thats the whole point about this thread and I believe it should be disabled until the construction is over. There is construction equipments in the area and going at night will get you in more hot water. Because of this, its best to disabled it for this time of being.

I'm gonna throw my two-cents worth into this....as i've had Mingo on my Watchlist ever since I found out about it.

I dont care WHO you are, or how far back in Geocaching you go. According to how this is played, it's the Cache Owners responsibility to make sure their caches, no matter how old, are taken care of. If you no-longer want to maintain your cache, either adopt it out, find someone that will, archive the listing, or ask that someone else will. In this case, i consider this a "Legendary" cache, that should be maintained, because of the Age of the listing. Should it be disabled until the Construction is over? Yes. At the minimum, maybe MOVE it from it's spot to a Temporary Home somewhere nearby, so those folks that have been planning long trips to include this cache can get it. Should it be the "same thing as what was originally placed"? Maybe. This discussion was brought-up during the APE Cache deboccle and the ruling was made to archive the original listing because the original container was damaged and then stolen/taken.

I do not agree with the Archiving ruling on that, but this isn't about the APE, now is it, it's about Mingo.

As far as Team 360's commentary, which I saw both of the notes since, again Mingo is on my watchlist, even though they're deleted/removed.... Unless Team 360 (or any OTHER cacher) has actually BEEN to GZ to see it, how do they know it needs maintainence? They dont. T360's log of "how sad" etc is utter nonsense. I have over 100 hides myself and the containers that i've used have had to be modified at times from their originals, when needed, or even the caches moved because of either requests or "things happen" (new construction completely took-out a lamppost and i had to move one because obviously the lamppost isn't there anymore).

So.... who's responsibility is it to take care of Mingo? The Cache Owner. If the CO says to a cacher that is willing to place a replacement container, "Go Ahead", then what's the problem? you're not there for the container, or the contents, you're there for the site itself, usually.

Anyone that has NOT been there...sorry to say, has no claim to say anything about it, what so ever. Except maybe the volunteer reviewer, and thats not my call.

It is, however, my two...or five-cents worth.

Thank you.

- RayQix - N42 26.925 W083 00.000 - Yes, that is 8 mile road, why do you ask? :)

Edited by RayQix
Things are going to get ugly really fast now.

Which I suspect will just get the cache locked, too. <_<

That note was removed, but I dont know who removed it.

I'm sure Hemlock is watching this one very closely now.

Let the countdown begin...

Edited by The Ravens

Interesting. Does the frog always send out hit men from Northern California? Nomex the rouge reviewer archiving that cache in Michigan(?) and now Hemlock taking note of Mingo. I guess it is the 49'er spirit or something.

Interesting. Does the frog always send out hit men from Northern California? Nomex the rouge reviewer archiving that cache in Michigan(?) and now Hemlock taking note of Mingo. I guess it is the 49'er spirit or something.

Local reviewers dont wanna take the heat, so they "hired" someone out of their area to do the dirty job. :laughing: