Cache location

Hello there,

I am wanting to open an internet cafe near where I live,

and I also had the idea of Making the cafe a cache.

Would this be allowed?

For instance, the cacher would come to the cafe,

Log their visit and have their photo taken.

I was also thinking that a lone cacher would get a free Drink and 30 minuite use of a computer to log their visit,

A family of cachers would get half price drinks and half price use of a machine to log their vist etc,

Still working out the details, but what do people think,

I don't want people thinking it's a publicity or marketing thing,

I just think that it would be a cool cache for people to come and visit.

Thanks.

Andy.

Hi there,

Before you work out too many details, make sure you fully understand the Guidelines for having geocaches listed on this site, in particular the section on "Commercial caches".

It may indeed be a very cool place for people to come to, but it will be difficult to make such a cache idea (as you describe it) a reality without very carefully thinking. You may be wise to consult your local cache reviewer about the idea before going too far with it.

MrsB

Sounds like a publicity and marketing thing to me.

But maybe you could name it a "TRAIL FOR HEROES" cache and then your quids in.

PS...I'd have found 3 caches before my free 30 minutes were up.

Cache ain't gonna happen dude!

Just my opinion of course. That's what forums are for, right?

Hello there,

I am wanting to open an internet cafe near where I live,

and I also had the idea of Making the cafe a cache.

Would this be allowed?

For instance, the cacher would come to the cafe,

Log their visit and have their photo taken.

I was also thinking that a lone cacher would get a free Drink and 30 minuite use of a computer to log their visit,

A family of cachers would get half price drinks and half price use of a machine to log their vist etc,

I don't want people thinking it's a publicity or marketing thing,

I just think that it would be a cool cache for people to come and visit.

Thanks.

Andy.

Bringing people to your business I'd say was a no no.

Of course... Having a cache nearby with a code in that people can quote for a discount may be another matter. Something very similar got approved a month or two back.

The cache is free, doesn't come to the cafe, but offers a discount for cachers... But importantly with no obligation to buy, or even visit for a free coffee.

Now I'm really going off topic. As this one is hitting a dead end anyways.

I'm currently very intrigued by the veracious forum poster known as NattyBooshka.

Caching for 8 years, but haven't logged one for 5. And now a forum hound, posting like crazy. Sorry for being nosey but....????

PS.. apologies to the USA mod for going totally off topic.

But forum threads do seem to go that way don't they!

Something weird going on.

Yes... No logs in 5 (or 6) years... Lots of finds

Needed to just play the game, my way, nobody else... So no forums or logs either written or online. Met others who do the same... One has never logged a cache in 10 years.

I came back, created a new id and started again... On the forums I brought back the old name to avoid saying hello all over again and to say hi to some old friends.

Problem?

PS hunting hidden lunchboxes since 1995, caching 9 years, off the radar for 5/6. Never stopped playing, never stopped caring.

Edited by NattyBooshka

So the guidelines say: A commercial cache has one or more of the following characteristics: It requires the finder to go inside a business, interact with employees and/or purchase a product or service.

Not too long ago we found a cache that was released for an event we attended and had a rather special and original logbook which soon got filled by us all, however it now lives as a box in the pub. You have to go inside the pub and the cache is now apparently visible from the bar. So that I believe would count as a commercial one, but was still allowed so maybe there is a way to get your idea in motion by discussing with your local, friendly reviewer. :)

Good luck! I think it sounds like a fun idea!

Edited by Cassandy

Changing the cache page after publication, does not mean it's allowed...

It was always in the pub to begin with and that's where the coords point, the cache page looks exactly the same too. Re-reading the recent logs looks like it is indeed still the original "container" that I found too rather than the box I thought it was now.

So the guidelines say: A commercial cache has one or more of the following characteristics: It requires the finder to go inside a business, interact with employees and/or purchase a product or service.

Hope I don't see any Garmin Chirp caches or dare I say PM only ones then and they definitely fail on that score.

Edited by NattyBooshka

Hope I don't see any Garmin Chirp caches or dare I say PM only ones then and they definitely fail on that score.

Garmin Chirp Caches, are allowed as a exception to the Commercial Guidelines by Groundspeak.

Deci

Garmin Chirp Caches, are allowed as a exception to the Commercial Guidelines by Groundspeak.

Deci

I note you say nothing in defence of PM only aches my friend. Chirp are exempt because the frog got paid... Garmn are now the opposition... But we all know Jeremy didntl't see that coming. No problem with GS... But the sponsors sometimes (potty mouth veiled word removed by moderator, as I have discussed on several occasions) us all.

Edited by mtn-man

Deci

I note you say nothing in defence of PM only aches my friend. Chirp are exempt because the frog got paid... Garmn are now the opposition... But we all know Jeremy didntl't see that coming. No problem with GS... But the sponsors sometimes (potty mouth veiled word removed by moderator, as I have discussed on several occasions) us all.

Sorry but why should I need to defend PMO caches, that is a feature made available to those who support the running of this site. By putting their hands in their pockets, in return they gain extra features. One of which is the ability to List PMO caches.

And FYI! Groundspeak were not and have not been "paid" by Garmin to allow "Chirp" Cache! Groundspeak took a decision based on what was in the best interest of their own customers, and that was to allow Chirp caches, because their own customers would be purchasing and wishing to use them. If Groundspeak had banned them, do you believe Garmin would have advertised that fact? They'd still have let people buy them and then find out they could not be listed on GC. So Chirp caches are not and never have been sponsored by Garmin when listed on GC. Groundspeak looked after their customers best interests and pockets by allowing them.

If you care to telephone or contact Groundspeak by email, they will happily confirm that no payment off Garmin has been received in regards to sponsoring Chirp caches on GC.

[PERSONAL OPINION]

They I'm guessing devised them as a tool to promote another of their products, a idea which possibly did not go to plan, as they expected a totally different decision made by others.

[END OF PERSONAL OPINION ]

Having done a Chirp cache with a number of other Reviewers, I'd personally say that the purchase of one, would not be on my wish list. A chirp in a 35mm film can, placed in a tree, and several of those with the appropriate equipment, even when right next to the chirp location could not get a signal. In the end it had to be physically held next to the GPSr. But at least the person who owned it, had the ability to list it on GC, because Groundspeak took a decision in that persons best interest.

Also please do not swear in post, even by anagramming the word (and yes I know it is a brand of perfume, but your use of the word is not referencing to that product )

Deci

Edited by mtn-man

Also please do not swear in post, even by anagramming the word (and yes I know it is a brand of perfume, but your use of the word is not referencing to that product )

Exactly. I've been over it before and it isn't open to discussion. I also know the reference very well, but don't use it please. ESPECIALLY in the context that I have had to edit out.

Sorry. Guess my perfume branded cache is out then? Actually I would never have written the word as described as I hate the brand, so if I was gonna look for a way out of swearing, I'd have mentioned a half decent Van Halen album instead and put the dots in. So sorry, it was a typo that got through. It should/would have stopped my post all together of course while I re-read it... And edited it. So, snook through a bit stronger than it should have done.

Yeah, Chirp is a neat device... When it works. And if the frog didn't get paid, then I withdraw my libellous comment. Of course now GS and Garmin seem to have fallen out... Which is a shame, and with the biggest selling GPSr devices all now advertising the opposition, maybe GS will finally have a worthy adversary... Which IMO would be good for the game. Garmin seem to be going absolutely all free, but I don't see that lasting forever.

I wish it were true that PMOs were a reward for supporting the site, but most of them I've come across are PMO because they've been mugged before, or the owners caches have. If PMO caches were any kind of premium quality, I'd be very happy. Sadly here's nothing thrilling about another 35mm canister! Don't get me wrong, I am premium, always have been, always will be... But PMOs are not even worth a mention as a benefit. All of my top 10 finds are open to all. PM benefits are PQs and notifications... And they are both very very good IMO.

There are commercial caches out there, and I wouldn't be upset by finding one. Especially if it was in a decent pub after a long walk. There are lots using the pub car parks... Most of which have "patrons only" parking rules, so in effect you've entered a contract to sup an ale after the cache before reclaiming the car... Which is just the same as any other car park fee... Unless you're on expences at the time... And possibly cheaper. As a landlord, in a

Pub with green stuff around your premises, it'd be very easy to hide some boxes around the place, and sales would go up. There should and is no requirement to make a purchase, and it is possible to get a drink for free in all pubs, I hear you need a sicknote order it though.

There is another like the one suggested above... recently reviewed... Set up, in good faith I think, by the cafe owner... Offering discounts. Yeah it's commercial, but there's no absolute requirement to purchase. There was even mention of free coffee, which is all well and good if you like that sort of thing.

Anyway... I thought McDonalds were sponsoring all of the caches? One of mine was a mctoy museum, with artefacts going back a good 8 years. Pretty surprised there's not a "get yer grease here" magnetic nano series popping up in their car parks... I'd actually do some of them, as car parks are free and so is the wifi. Free wifi even got me in one of them once... I'd just eaten fresh, so only required a juice... Wifi wasn't doin well outside for some reason. Can't way for Ronald to unveil the first of the series... and I guess it would meet the guidelines as no interaction is required.

There are commercial caches out there, and I wouldn't be upset by finding one. Especially if it was in a decent pub after a long walk. There are lots using the pub car parks... Most of which have "patrons only" parking rules, so in effect you've entered a contract to sup an ale after the cache before reclaiming the car... Which is just the same as any other car park fee... Unless you're on expences at the time... And possibly cheaper. As a landlord, in a

Pub with green stuff around your premises, it'd be very easy to hide some boxes around the place, and sales would go up. There should and is no requirement to make a purchase, and it is possible to get a drink for free in all pubs, I hear you need a sicknote order it though.

Your making it sound like there is a requirement to park in the Pub Car park to retrieve the cache, that would be a ALR. Which are no longer listed, and which are not a Grandfathered In category either. So each person has the choice to park elsewhere and walk into the Pub Car park, as it is not a requirement of the cache

Anyway... I thought McDonalds were sponsoring all of the caches? One of mine was a mctoy museum, with artefacts going back a good 8 years. Pretty surprised there's not a "get yer grease here" magnetic nano series popping up in their car parks... I'd actually do some of them, as car parks are free and so is the wifi. Free wifi even got me in one of them once... I'd just eaten fresh, so only required a juice... Wifi wasn't doin well outside for some reason. Can't way for Ronald to unveil the first of the series... and I guess it would meet the guidelines as no interaction is required.

Actually they sponsor the publication of caches :yikes: personally I've put in over 1,000 hours on their free WIFI reviewing and publishing caches (including between 19:00 and 21:00 one Christmas Eve). I've lost track of the Free Coffee's they have given me whilst doing so :yikes: (under the buy 6 and get the 7th free :laughing:. In fact at one point I used to permanently have a minimum of 5 full collector cards in the car.) :laughing: and I'm not a coffee addict (and I'll continue to deny so, until I trade a mortal existence for something else :laughing:)

Oh and Ronald (McDonald) being a recognised Trade Mark for McDonald's Restaurants LTD. And as such would make the cache commercial.

Actually they sponsor the publication of caches :yikes: personally I've put in over 1,000 hours on their free WIFI reviewing and publishing caches (including between 19:00 and 21:00 one Christmas Eve). I've lost track of the Free Coffee's they have given me whilst doing so :yikes: (under the buy 6 and get the 7th free :laughing:. In fact at one point I used to permanently have a minimum of 5 full collector cards in the car.) :laughing: and I'm not a coffee addict (and I'll continue to deny so, until I trade a mortal existence for something else :laughing:)

Oh and Ronald (McDonald) being a recognised Trade Mark for McDonald's Restaurants LTD. And as such would make the cache commercial.

So he can't play? poor fella... that explains the face being so white... he needs to get out more... he'd love caching, just remember how excited he got by a happy meal.

As for the pub car park... I do a bit of research, if they sell anything I like, I park there and bind myself to the unwritten car parking contract. If not, I keep driving to a bar that does, and see if the cache is walkable from there!

Edited by NattyBooshka