Good bye c:geo

the official app does not work at all. It freezes, force closes, takes ages to start, doesn't shut down (and drains battery).

I bought it about 5 weeks ago (the most expenisve app I ever bought btw) and still can't log in. All I get is a white screen, and even though they know about it (http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75279-geocaching-for-android/suggestions/1850605-version-2-0-can-t-log-in), nothing happens. They just don't seem to care. Isn't it a shame, that all the free and "illegal" apps work like a charm and have tons of features, while the official one doesn't? I would even pay a monthly fee for a "legalized" GeOrg connector (GeOrg is my favourite app and does NOT come with a connector, so its not illegal), but for some reason they want me to use a non-working app. I just don't understand it.

I am new to geocaching and thus far I really enjoy it. I purchased the official app on day one..It never worked..At all! I found c:geo and it worked flawlessly. When the owners of geocaching are making huge money in memberships and item sales, why would they snuff out an app that is superior to theirs and that brings them business? It makes no sense. Why wouldn't they purchase the rights to the app, use it to replace the crap they are selling and put the developers on the payroll giving them a simple percent of all app sales?

Quite frankley, if my c:geo app stops working and the official app doesn't work either. My geocaching days are over, because I'm not going to write down every single cache in the area and half the fun is being out somewhere and having a little time to kill and using the app to find a quick cache. (Note to Groundspeak: If enough people get fed up and stop geocaching one of two things will happen. 1) They leave forever and take their money with them. 2) Spin off site that is willing to work with developers.)

It's a shame when a few people who started this because it was something they loved becomes greedy!

(Note to Groundspeak: If enough people get fed up and stop geocaching one of two things will happen. 1) They leave forever and take their money with them. 2) Spin off site that is willing to work with developers.)

Grasshopper... You have much to learn. The history of Geocaching is full of these predictions because someone complained they didn't get their way.

Of the people that I've introduced to Geocaching, one of the most common complaints I've heard from the non-technical people is that it's so many steps just to get coordinates stored onto your GPS. Give the technically challenged people a .GPX file who can barely figure out how to put the batteries in right? And expect them to know to re-load the .GPX file frequently to update the cache list? That's what makes a hand-held "live" app so valuable. They can just start it, bring up a map and see what caches are around them. They can go find it, and log it from the application. The general opinion is that c:geo beat the GS application hands down in doing this and ease of use. If you were a novice, would YOU want to start Geocaching when it's so difficult to get the information you need to find caches, and fight an non user-friendly application? No, and Groundspeak shouldn't want that either if they want to expand their user base.

Not sure if that's GS's fault ro the GPSr manufactures. It seems the manufactures are just as much to blame for the difficulty in handling GPX files as GS is. There devices could be made to manage the GPX files like GSAK or EasyGPS is able to. I don't see why they can't unload the file so that caches can be deleted one by one.

I'm really sad, because (sorry GC developpers) this application was the best. I know it was not official, I know it doesn't use the GC API, but it was just a way like another to access this fabulous database.

No, it wasn't "just another way like any other." It violated the Groundspeak TOS you agreed to when you became a member of geocaching.com.

Groundspeak has a developer program for people who are interested in producing TOS-compliant apps; the c:geo developer apparently didn't think playing by the rules was worth the effort.

That's what is sad.

I reckon I am confused (but that's not unusual).

According to this post c:geo was going to be allowed to use Groundspeak's API. Did carneo not like that deal?

incorporate c:geo into official android geocaching app

One of the main reasons for me not to buy the offical geocaching app for android is the instability and battery drain it has, while there is an app that has none of these problems, is complete and for free. Unfortunately, the developer is forced to stop the development of c:geo. One of the reasons is the attitude of Groundspeak. Why discourage such a developer with a successfull app in stead of embrasing his good work? Why develop a worse working app yourself if there's already a good working app on the market for less money?

by Fotogravin | 42 comments

Response:

Since c:geo has signed up to use our Geocaching Live API that we have in development, I don't understand this idea, so I'm declining it.

Jeremy Admin

Plus "goodbye c:geo" seems a bit premature. It still works as of this moment on my ATRIX 4G, and it is open-source, I am sure someone will continue its development.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Site Scraping places a large burden on the resources. ...

Um...No it doesn't; unless it is done like c:geo did/does it. Most screen scraping apps for geocaching will actualy reduce the burden on the servers by saving data for future use. c:geo's live, non-stop, non-user initiated searching was indeed a load. I used it a few times when my WM6.5 phone had duel boot, but I stopped when I realized what it was doing. I also am not sad to see that app go.

Site Scraping places a large burden on the resources. ...

Um...No it doesn't; unless it is done like c:geo did/does it. Most screen scraping apps for geocaching will actualy reduce the burden on the servers by saving data for future use. c:geo's live, non-stop, non-user initiated searching was indeed a load. I used it a few times when my WM6.5 phone had duel boot, but I stopped when I realized what it was doing. I also am not sad to see that app go.

And what did you realized that c:geo does? My experience is that it acquires data only on user's request and there's no endless data sinking. In fact, it's a very convenient app, comfortable and easy to use, it has excellent interaction with map providers like locus and many more features the GS app doesn't offer.

How do you think it gets access to cache locations on a real time basis, if it doesn't scrape the site. I expect that one of the reasons that Cgeo can offer features that Groundspeak's apt doesn't, is that the developer does not care how the app's demands impact on the site's overall performance or the experience of other users. Groundspeak does.

I recently heard that the non-official application c:geo has stopped. The developper consider than Groundspeak is not open enough and do everything to block him : http://post.carnero.cc/cgeo

I'm really sad, because (sorry GC developpers) this application was the best. I know it was not official, I know it doesn't use the GC API, but it was just a way like another to access this fabulous database. I really love geocaching and I will continue this great activity, but as a sign of protest I will not renew my premium membership.

I dream and hope for a more open geocaching.com.

Regards.

(sorry, my english is bad I know)

I for one Will not renew my Premium membership and if i could get a refund on the official app i would. It is absolute junk. It force closes constaintaly. The compass is hard to use on the rare occasion it works right. Im sure all the people pro getting rid of cgeo will regret it when all the cgeo users who hide caches start archiving them all and the cache numbers drop in half. Or thousands of caches start going unmaintained. I for one have over 50 hides and am very upset with Groundspeak. If they could provide a app that was comparable id understand. But the official app is like trying to run windows 3.1 compared to cgeo. Not to mention if not for cgeo i never would have purchased a Premium membership or the app or provided so many caches for other users to find. Hope Groundspeak changes its mind or i fear geocaching.com is going to see a massive decline in premium memberships next renewal. I for one will never spend another dollar with them!!!

I just bought a premium membership. I think I will see if I can get my money back. C:geo made everything so easy, even for a newby like me. I will not buy the Groundspeak app. I have not read anything good about it. So long Groundspeak!

naneb

Where's the difference between opening gc.com in smart phone's browser or grabbing the same information by an app regarding load and traffic? Maybe c:geo is using data it get's from the WAP pages? I don't know it, but what I know is that 10 times more users have installed c:geo on their android phones then those using the official app. And be also aware that c:geo offers only features which are available through gc.com, there's no magic ;) If you compare GS' iPhone and Android app, last one is extremely behind in development. Another point is, that you have to buy an app for 10 USD (7 EUR) without any guarantee of working. Just have a look at the ratings in market: GS' app has an average of only 3,7 stars, an indicator that it does not really fits user's needs and expections, or? GS has declined offering a geocaching lite app like they do for iOS, so it's no wonder people try first other free apps instead of buying a pig in a poke (don't argue that you can return an app if you don't like it, it is not lifelike to get an impression of a geocaching app within 15 minutes). GS writes "We are committed to improving the application and it is our goal to deliver the very best geocaching application for the Android platform. Although we will not be providing refunds beyond the Android policy, it is our goal to make you happy with your purchase. Current bugs will be addressed as quickly as possible and new features will be added shortly and you'll be able to download the updates free of charge." Both goals are not fulfilled yet, not for me and also not for many other users...

I just bought a premium membership. I think I will see if I can get my money back. C:geo made everything so easy, even for a newby like me. I will not buy the Groundspeak app. I have not read anything good about it. So long Groundspeak!

naneb

If you have premium membership and enjoy caching, why not look at some of the many apps that support pocket queries through gpx files? One of the main benefits given premium members is the use of pocket queries to locate caches. It is a relatively simple process and there are various guides that can help you should you need it. There certainly is no need to use the Groundspeak app to take advantage of this feature.

Groundspeak continues to work with developers to implement an API that will allow users greater flexibility in accessing data from the site. C:geo was one of those included in this process. It is too bad that the developer apparently did not want to work within this framework, but I can understand why Groundspeak would not start making exceptions for apps to access the site in different ways.

Edited by mulvaney

Groundspeak continues to work with developers to implement an API that will allow users greater flexibility in accessing data from the site.

Or so they say... The last update that I saw said 30 days till roll out, and 2 or 3 months later, no apps are avalable using it...

C:geo was one of those included in this process. ...

How do you know? Was there ever a list published? I would love to see a list like that!

Edited by Andronicus

How do you know? Was there ever a list published? I would love to see a list like that!

We know because Jeremy has just said so in his Facebook post. (FWIW, I also knew about this two months ago because I heard it from a Lackey then.)

Was there a list published ? Of course not. This stuff is commercially/community confidential. We'd all love to know which of our favourite caching app programmers are in Groundspeak's good books and who is maybe going to have to wait. Then we could maybe ask those app programmers if we could piggyback on their API key for just a couple of waffer-theen pieces of data.

Groundspeak continues to work with developers to implement an API that will allow users greater flexibility in accessing data from the site.

Or so they say... The last update that I saw said 30 days till roll out, and 2 or 3 months later, no apps are avalable using it...

The only thing I know about the status was the statement that I quoted earlier, which Jeremy made yesterday in a feedback thread:

"We're working hard on bringing a scalable API to 3rd party developers,
including c:geo
, who is one of our early beta partners. Nothing that I know of has changed at Groundspeak. We moved our Android and WP7 applications to the new API to make sure it works well enough to open to 3rd parties. As of last week we deployed our iOS verson to be reviewed by Apple, and if things go well we'll start rolling out partner applications"

I have been waiting for the iphone app, Geosphere, to incorporate the API, but the developer stated that it takes time from his end as well. So I assume that there is work to be done on both ends before we start seeing apps being made available.

Edited by mulvaney

We know because Jeremy has just said so in his Facebook post.

I do not generally log into facebook, so if there are other people who are interested, here is the relevant quote:

"I don't have enough information to have a take on c:geo development at this point, but his post is faux-naïf.

He is well aware that the application violates our site's TOU, but instead of us trying to shut down his application we reached out... and offered him early access to our new API, the same version being used by our Android and WP7 applications now. We just haven't allowed our partners to use the production version until we can ensure that it is scalable."

Jeremy also stated:

"Even if that application doesn't continue, there are other developers that could create their own applications, or spin that one off and make it legit. It is, after all, open source."

Edited by mulvaney

I myself found a new excitement for our sport when I got my smart phone and started useing C-Geo .. Its ... I have an hour to kill, on the fly, no papawerwork, no laptop and able to log them too! .. its all about just go and have fun, this I will surley miss. I have not used the Groundspeak "app" but all the reviews SUCK!! y would I even try to make that work and have to pay too! F THAT ... My intrest is lost because of this, I may still geocache every now and then, on the free side only.

I WILL NOT RENEW MY MEMBERSHIP BECAUSE OF THIS!!

MI-Cacher

GS, PLEASE EITHER BRING C:GEO BACK OR MAKE A GOOD APP WITH A GOOD LITE VERSION. NOT THE BAD ONE THAT HAS MANY GLITCHES AND SHUTS DOWN EVERY TIME.

Seems to me GS isn't responsible for bringing it back or making it go away - that appeared to be the developer's choice that they didn't want to work with the API.

I'm curious if everybody is using the same Groundspeak app that I use. I never have any problems with it, and other than the lack of the live map, I prefer everything about it to c:geo. It's easier to use, looks nicer, and is just as reliable on my Droid X.

I'm curious if everybody is using the same Groundspeak app that I use. I never have any problems with it, and other than the lack of the live map, I prefer everything about it to c:geo. It's easier to use, looks nicer, and is just as reliable on my Droid X.

One of the big problems with the official app versus C:geo, is the official app is not free.

I hope the official app improves by the time C:Geo breaks for good (assuming no one else picks up development). My girlfriend got me back into geocaching after a long absence and we decided on using it for her due to the ease of use. She really enjoys it and found her 100th cache this past weekend. The ability to pull up a live map and cache on the fly without having to figure out how to put together a pocket query, download and install it, etc. is a huge bonus for her. She also enjoys dipping travel bugs and geocoins and not having to go back later and remember to do it.

If the official app doesn't offer that, I don't see her interest continuing for long. If she doesn't enjoy it anymore, neither of us will be caching much longer (or renewing our premium memberships.) I'm not defending the actions of either party in this fight, just hoping my geocaching days aren't coming to an end due to the lack of a program that has the abilities of C:Geo.

I think the majority of the angst put forth by so many in this thread is because c:geo is a free app and people are too cheap to buy the official one.

They're probably the same folks that log a find with a blank log as well. :ph34r:

c:geo being free isn't why people use it... many people are saying "everyone wants something for free", and that's not the case. Ask any c:geo user and they will tell you that they would gladly pay for the app to be able to keep using it and have it updated regularly.

I'm new to geocaching so I haven't tried tones of apps, but I know what I like and what I don't like. People in the thread keep saying that everyone's overreacting to c:geo not continuing its support and updates because there are plenty of other grate apps to use.

My thing is this… can the other app’s allow you to open a satellite map view and see all the geocaches around you, then click on a button and have the compass view, then click on another button and be able to see all the information about the cache (the owners info, descriptions, the log's made), then one more click to log your find? This is a real question because I haven’t tried all of the ones people are mentioning (I just use c:geo cause it works). Or, do all the other app’s require you to open an empty map, then open your browser to look at cache listings, then click one, then download it to your map, then flip back to your geocaching app to go find it, then flip back and forward between your app and the GS website to read the log if you need help? Then after you’ve found it go back onto the website to log the find?

Cutting out all those extra steps is what makes c:geo such a grate app… not that it’s free. If I’m wrong and there’s other apps that also cut out all the flipping back and forward between the web and the app then I’d love to hear about it because that’s the one I’ll use when c:geo stops working.

i do understand the argument that if it's made to free and to easy than people might start messing\stealing caches.. people have the access to it that don't care for it or share the same love we all do for it. Haveing c:geo only work for premium members would prob solve that issue though.

I just wish Groundspeak would hire the guy that made c:geo to make their official app. Then it would be worth the 10 bucks.

I think the majority of the angst put forth by so many in this thread is because c:geo is a free app and people are too cheap to buy the official one.

They're probably the same folks that log a find with a blank log as well. :ph34r:

I have no problem paying for something that works, I donated the same amount the official app costs to the C:Geo developer for that very reason. If the official app is updated to provide the features I need, I'll be beating down the door to purchase it for both of us.

I paid for the official Geocaching app for my Droid, but I still use c:geo more because of some of the unique features. I understand the bandwidth demand the apps cause, and that Groundspeak doesn't get any income for supporting that from c:geo users, but I still hope something can be worked out. Maybe royalties? user fees? (within reason). My hope is that Carnero and Groundspeak can come to some agreement and he'll continue support of his great app with cooperation from Groundspeak.

- Run&Hike

My thing is this… can the other app's allow you to open a satellite map view and see all the geocaches around you, then click on a button and have the compass view, then click on another button and be able to see all the information about the cache (the owners info, descriptions, the log's made), then one more click to log your find? This is a real question because I haven't tried all of the ones people are mentioning (I just use c:geo cause it works). Or, do all the other app's require you to open an empty map, then open your browser to look at cache listings, then click one, then download it to your map, then flip back to your geocaching app to go find it, then flip back and forward between your app and the GS website to read the log if you need help? Then after you've found it go back onto the website to log the find?

Yes. Try using GeoHunter. It is also "free" and doesn't violate the Groundspeak TOU.

Yes. Try using GeoHunter. It is also "free" and doesn't violate the Groundspeak TOU.

Aside from having these two things in common with C:GEO, does it have live maps?

You can't have a live map without violating the TOU. Even if you're in denial.

Edited by dfx

The farewell post from the c:geo author brings up an interesting point that I had not considered. He said that GS was is trying to make c:geo only usable by premium members. In other words, c:geo made it possible for users to get all the benefits of PQs without actual using PQs and paying for a premium membership. Now that I think about it, the gathering of data through the web interface and causing a load maybe never was the issue. The premium membership issue can easily be solved with an API that does authentication. The API could theoretically authenticate that a user is a premium member.

I'm sad to see c:geo go. I have been a premium member for several years and bought the official Geocaching app for android the day it was released. That being said, c:geo was still my go to app. It has been and continues to be an all around superior product. I'm not sure how this one individual has kept it going for so long. I love the live map feature. I can bring up a map and scroll around to see geocaches in any area I choose. The official app only will show a limited number of caches. I hope the offical app learns from the success of c:geo and continues to improve.

Interesting timing that this update was just posted now...

could be, but I will take Bryan's comments regarding scalability at face value. The iPhone along with the droid are probably biggest users of the API and the droid is already using the API. They probably took some time to port the application to using the API and then needed to go through the iPhone submission process. What I find more interesting is that c:Geo threw in the towel and there is an update scheduled for tomorrow. Wonder if c:geo breaks at 11am PST tomorrow? Oh, drat, the greasemonkey scripts will probably also break.

If c:geo breaks tomorrow I expect the snivel meter to bang on the right pin.

Edited by jholly

The farewell post from the c:geo author brings up an interesting point that I had not considered. He said that GS was is trying to make c:geo only usable by premium members. In other words, c:geo made it possible for users to get all the benefits of PQs without actual using PQs and paying for a premium membership. Now that I think about it, the gathering of data through the web interface and causing a load maybe never was the issue. The premium membership issue can easily be solved with an API that does authentication. The API could theoretically authenticate that a user is a premium member.

And that is exactly what Bryan said in his post on the feedback site, the API will be a premium member benefit. I fully expect the update tomorrow to break c:geo in grand and glorious manners. And if not the one tomorrow, the one where the API is released will definitely break c:geo. So unless someone picks up the source and forks it and takes on the maintenance the app is probably dead. As a side note, if someone does pickup the support, they better be outside the United States. Unfortunately it probably will also break greasemonkey scripts.

And that is exactly what Bryan said in his post on the feedback site, the API will be a premium member benefit. I fully expect the update tomorrow to break c:geo in grand and glorious manners. And if not the one tomorrow, the one where the API is released will definitely break c:geo. So unless someone picks up the source and forks it and takes on the maintenance the app is probably dead. As a side note, if someone does pickup the support, they better be outside the United States. Unfortunately it probably will also break greasemonkey scripts.

I don't see how a new API by itself would break c:geo when c:geo isn't using an API. Please explain.

Site update tomorrow. I wonder what are the chances of it breaking c:geo... :ph34r:

(entered before I saw John E. Cache's post. This is update to the site)

Edit2 : apparently already mentioned by jholly... note to self, read all posts before posting.

Edited by Chrysalides

Site update tomorrow. I wonder what are the chances of it breaking c:geo... :ph34r:

(entered before I saw John E. Cache's post. This is update to the site)

Edit2 : apparently already mentioned by jholly... note to self, read all posts before posting.

Mmmmmmmm, not going to take that bet. LOL, LOL.

I don't see how a new API by itself would break c:geo when c:geo isn't using an API. Please explain.

The API per se will not break c:geo. But there likely be some "necessary" changes to the web site that will break screen scraping applications like c:geo. I would not be surprised if the update tomorrow does not cause some upset with c:geo.

My thing is this… can the other app's allow you to open a satellite map view and see all the geocaches around you, then click on a button and have the compass view, then click on another button and be able to see all the information about the cache (the owners info, descriptions, the log's made), then one more click to log your find? This is a real question because I haven't tried all of the ones people are mentioning (I just use c:geo cause it works). Or, do all the other app's require you to open an empty map, then open your browser to look at cache listings, then click one, then download it to your map, then flip back to your geocaching app to go find it, then flip back and forward between your app and the GS website to read the log if you need help? Then after you've found it go back onto the website to log the find?

Yup, this info is wrong... it can't do what I asked above. There is no live map. You have to go onto your phones web browser and then pick a cache, then download it to your map. And you can't post your log find in the program as well (like you can with c:geo), you have to go back to your web browser to do so.... i belive, just started using it after the above poster said "yes" to my questions so i'm still trying to figure it out.

Wonder if c:geo breaks at 11am PST tomorrow? Oh, drat, the greasemonkey scripts will probably also break.

I have only one script left than an author has had time to sort out from the LAST "destabilization effort". At some point, it would be just SWELL if GS would provide a stable platform for script authors to work from for more than a few months. It's enough that the entire site gets hit on nearly every page - that doesn't usually bother the folks writing scripts - but it's a terrible bother in two areas - the maps and the cache pages. Looking at the number of times Lil Devil has had to tweak just one script to get it back in line with changes GS keeps making to the presentation of a cache page is almost embarrassing. It wouldn't have been so bad, but it was Lil Devil's rework of the cache map presentation that really made is usable for me. Meanwhile, we get a less functional beta map, and the original map presentation is broken by redesign such that Lil Devil's script doesn't work ... time after time.

I don't expect GC to produce just the product I want. I will do that, or another developer will likely come up with it. GC have neither the time nor the imagination to develop everything that the community could dream up. I hope their API doesn't get tweaked every few months such that it's too unstable for those developers to work with, either. PLEASE just establish a stable, working platform and turn the community loose to provide user interfaces that suit our particular preferences out here. All they need is the data in a form that isn't a bloody moving target.

Edited by ecanderson

I am sorry, but I am calling BS on this. When I got my smartphone a few months ago I was super excited to get the Geocaching app, then I read the reviews on how it is a pile of garbage. So I found a better reviewed app, c:Geo. It has worked amazingly. Why can't the geocaching app be free to premium members (could bump the cost to $35/yr and I would still support GS) or at least a little cheaper than 10 bucks?

I have been caching since 2002, granted I have not had thousands of finds but I still supported GS in the years that I did not cache much. I will support things I use and that work. If GS extended the olive branch to the developer of c:Geo and he turned it down, well he is pretty dumb from what I can tell. Even if he had to charge for it, I would have paid since it is a great app.

I am not going to run away from geocaching just because c:Geo is not going to work tomorrow (just a guess), I enjoy it and have the time to do it more now. Until I see better reviews consistently for the official app, I am not going to buy it.

So will Groundspeak eventually allow "screen scraping" and "live maps" for their own application? That sure would make a lot of people happy.... and encourage users to buy the Groundspeak app. Then they could take all the new profits from the 10 buck app (that everyone now will love because it works how we want it) and drop it into their database and bandwidth to make the “screen scraping slow’s the site down” argument\issue go away.

So will Groundspeak eventually allow "screen scraping" and "live maps" for their own application?

No, they won't, because it won't be necessary. All of the overhead involved in dumping out a screen full of html will be gone since the API should provide direct access to the data that underlies those screens in the first place. It becomes the client's job to manage presentation of that data, not GC's web site. Helps to understand how this stuff is architected before diving in... Edited by ecanderson

So will Groundspeak eventually allow "screen scraping" and "live maps" for their own application?

No, they won't, because it won't be necessary. All of the overhead involved in dumping out a screen full of html will be gone since the API should provide direct access to the data that underlies those screens in the first place. It becomes the client's job to manage presentation of that data, not GC's web site. Helps to understand how this stuff is architected before diving in...

Sounds like the update is just what were looking for then. If that's the case and it makes thing super easy for 3 party app developers to give us all the options were looking for then we should be seeing some nice geocaching app's popping up in the market :)

No, they won't, because it won't be necessary. All of the overhead involved in dumping out a screen full of html will be gone since the API should provide direct access to the data that underlies those screens in the first place. It becomes the client's job to manage presentation of that data, not GC's web site. Helps to understand how this stuff is architected before diving in...

Sounds like the update is just what were looking for then. If that's the case and it makes thing super easy for 3 party app developers to give us all the options were looking for then we should be seeing some nice geocaching app's popping up in the market :)

As I said before, it helps...

Just how well featured either GS or any 3rd party developer's application CAN be is going to be limited by what hooks are provided into the data base. The more information that is made available, the more features one can build into an application. As has been noted, C:GEO had features that the GS application did not. This could be a matter of the authors of the GC application just not being creative enough, or it could be that even the GC developers have not yet had access to the database in a sufficiently thorough way to create the features that C:GEO created from scraping the data from individual pages at gc.com. We don't have any real visibility to that out here.