Bad/Cliched Caches

So I was thinking of doing a series based on Bad/Cliche caches. The idea is that the cache would ostensibly be Bad or a Cliche but would be done in a more interesting way. But what are the worst/ most cliched caches out there? I have started a list.

1. The ivy covered tree

2. The really dull area

3. This place is so flytipped we may as well call it landfill

4. What do you mean the co-ordinates are over 100ft out? Oh well find it and tell me the correct co-ordinates.

5. The identical magnetic nano every .1 miles trail.

6. The 'I know there is room for an ammo can here but I just love 35mm film canisters so much.' cache.

7. The multi trunked tree

So that's my list. Anyone have any other suggestions?

1. The one that looks like a reasonable area on a Wednesday lunchtime, but on Friday evening is a hangout for all the louts of the area.

2. In a nice bit of woodland with good GPS signal...as long as it's January. By July it's a shoulder-high tangle of nettles and brambles and GPS is at least 50 feet inaccurate due to the heavy leaf cover.

3. Just outside the kiddie's playground and half the seekers are middle-aged men on their own.

The oh so natural "piled up stones" cache and the "how did so many twigs fall from that tree and land on top of each other" spring to mind for cliches... Not bad caches may I add.

The "just behind the gents toilets" cache I don't like much either.

Years ago I found one that was buried under a pile of dry leaves. It was remarkably difficult to rehide it, and I imagine the next time any reasonable wind blew through the leaves would scatter and an ammo can would be left in plain view.

The ones that have the "stealth required" attribute when you have to climb on something to get the cache and where there's absolutely no possible way anyone who did walk past wouldn't figure you were doing something very unusual indeed.

Must have one near a house with barking dogs!

Or even a location that's almost certainly someone's front gate but no indication which front gate.

The oh so natural "piled up stones" cache and the "how did so many twigs fall from that tree and land on top of each other" spring to mind for cliches... Not bad caches may I add.

The "just behind the gents toilets" cache I don't like much either.

Years ago I found one that was buried under a pile of dry leaves. It was remarkably difficult to rehide it, and I imagine the next time any reasonable wind blew through the leaves would scatter and an ammo can would be left in plain view.

Found a couple of them... maybe the CO has a backup lid with leaves glued to a hat to place over the cache when the wind blows? Can see it now, walking in the wind, trying to see through the leaf blizzard ahead, only to come to a pile of leaves despite the hurricane that is blowing... may have to hide one now, in the autumn of course.

The container that's as watertight as one of my socks.

Which reminded me of:

Caches wrapped in socks!

Almost every one of the 21 cache trail I found on Sunday was wrapped in a disgusting wet, snail ridden, stinky sock.

What is that all about .... haven't they heard of Camo bags in Shifnal?

:rolleyes:

I must add though that the walk was lovely. :laughing:

The container that's as watertight as one of my socks.

Which reminded me of:

Caches wrapped in socks!

Almost every one of the 21 cache trail I found on Sunday was wrapped in a disgusting wet, snail ridden, stinky sock.

What is that all about .... haven't they heard of Camo bags in Shifnal?

:rolleyes:

I must add though that the walk was lovely. :laughing:

Not had the "pleasure" of one of these yet... please somebody collate these so I can ignore them!

Definitely one for the bad cache: one located in a notorious gay cruise/dogging area where anyone who enters the woodland is immediately followed by numerous leery fellers!

(Now, thankfully, disabled).

The fellers or the cache? :ph34r:

Ha, never thought of it like that.

Well I suppose it everyone's entitled to fun...

Make sure that the listing is appropriately low-quality, too. Poor spelling & grammar are a must. Cache size "not chosen". D/T wildly misleading. A long hint that essentially says, "no hint required". Have a friend (if you've any left after this exercise) post NM: respond on the cache page with sarcasm, post a 0.0m coord change log, but no OM (to leave the NM attribute set).

Of course the cache near a dog pooh bin, disguised to look like a bag of dog pooh shouldn’t be left off this list.

I've never had the 'pleasure' of that kind of find. Do they real exist or are they just a part of caching folklaw?

Well I've seen caches near dog pooh bins; and I've found a cache disguised as a dog pooh bag hanging in a bush; but I haven't found a cache in a dog pooh bag near a dog pooh bin.

A manky former tictac container under a park bench where the local tramp normally lives...experienced this in London :unsure:

I must admit containers such as those are a peeve of mine - have found several now, that or breath strip containers, split and leaking take-away containers full of water and snails, and people who put a tiny container inside a large binbag then hide it in a wood...WHY??!

Make sure that the listing is appropriately low-quality, too. Poor spelling & grammar are a must. Cache size "not chosen". D/T wildly misleading. A long hint that essentially says, "no hint required". Have a friend (if you've any left after this exercise) post NM: respond on the cache page with sarcasm, post a 0.0m coord change log, but no OM (to leave the NM attribute set).

Or better yet make the hint so long and convoluted that it doesn't make sense, and even after you've found the cache (by pure luck if nothing else) the clue still doesn't make any sense.

I Like doing the ones where the co-ordinates are in the middle of a river... and obviously so if you look on the satellite view

But my favourite was a cache hidden in the hollow tube of a fence post... the fence was around a Middle School... and overlooked by the houses on the other side of the road. Just the place that a single mid 40's bloke wants to go caching

Oh and I really hate soggy, muddy camo bags... why bother with bags at all ?

Found an ice cream tub/tesco bag combo the other day... Wonderful on all counts!

you weren't caching around passage west in cork by anychance now? <_<:rolleyes::laughing:

I wish! Had I been anywhere near Cork, there would have been that much Murphys in my bloodstream that walking would have been impossible and I'd have been saved from the pleasure of this cache! Beats me how you get any work done over there :)

But my favourite was a cache hidden in the hollow tube of a fence post... the fence was around a Middle School... and overlooked by the houses on the other side of the road. Just the place that a single mid 40's bloke wants to go caching

Went to look for one in Tadley on the way to the pub yesterday evening. Arrived at GZ to find it was a children's play area... swings, round-s-bout, the lot!! There were a number of kids playing there so we moved on without stopping. Being arrested as a suspected terrorist I could probably cope with but being arrested as a suspected paedophile might well give me some serious stress. :mad:

Where do all the 35ml film cases come from. I have not used 35ml for years is there a stock pile the goverment keep.

The clue the other week in in a tree root ok but there are 1500 trees and my gps can not get a signal whymaybe becuse there are 1500 trees.

The cache in weymouth in the train station car park next to the taxi rank by the seats and right next to the busy road in holiday seasons whilr they are doing road works for 2012 games stealth needed we would have to be invisable

Use a perfectly adequately waterproof container, but wrap it up in a carrier bag that will soon fill up with water completely, and spill all over you when you find the cache.

This is a pet peeve of mine - caches don't need to be in bags!

Lee

Did I ever mention caches in socks? :rolleyes:

Socks!!! Good grief.

I think people completely fail to realise just how much wear and tear a cache takes out in the wild, especially in an exposed location. Even though plastic won't rot or rust, and a lot of containers are completely waterproof, they can take quite a hammering and sustain damage quite easily. Just what a sock is supposed to do to protect a cache, I can't possibly imagine! All things like this do is attract animals, water, mould, dirt etc. and make the cache potentially very unpleasant.

A sturdy lock and lock box, with the contents INSIDE bagged nicely (no bags outside!) does the job just fine.

Most 35mm canisters don't fare too well in exposed spots either.

Lee