google-maps and coordinates

vv-cephei

Hello,

I'm absolutelly new to this forum and to geochaching. My question is, if I copy the coordinates of an cache and paste them to google-maps, why there is so a huge difference between the coordinates of the cache and the point google shows me? For example I copy this one N 47° 55.387 E 008° 29.160 and paste it to google-maps, the difference is to big, so I will don't find the cache. What now is correct? The point which I found booked in the maps (green, red, yellow and so on), or the point google shows me?

I don't have a gps device yet so I try to find some caches only with the maps...

I hope you can understand what I mean.

Thx

Welcome to Geocaching.

Best advice?

Read the Guidelines.

Read them again.

Go and find a few caches.

Groundspeak suggest finding at least 20, before you try to hide a cache.

(It's in the Guidelines, which you are going to read.

Read the Guidelines.

A GPS device is a required item, in order to get the coordinates of you hidden cache.

Maps, and especially the satellite views, are wildly OFF and not to a consistent amount, so are useless for getting coordinates from for a small hidden box.

Please. Read the Guidelines. http://www.geocaching.com/guide/default.aspx :)

(Oh yes, did I mention it? Always best to read the Guidelines. :D )

If you areonly looking for a cache, look for the larger sizes, with the lower Difficulty/Terrain levels.

Look for the ones that have a clue.

Yes, it is possible to find caches from just looking at the map.

Not easy, but possible!

Good Luck.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Please, can I make a suggestion.

In your profile, could you add your Location. Just the Country is OK.

This is a worldwide forum, and we have no idea where you are, unless you tell us.

You have no found Geocaches, so can't even make a guess where in the world you are.

(OK. The coordinates you have posted suggest Germany, but having it in your profile, or you saying in your post, is a BIG help.)

When you just put coordinates like that into Google maps, you will get two markers, a red one and a green one (an arrow). The location you're interested in is the green arrow, the red marker will always just point to the closest road or other known object.

You can get rid of the double marker by prefixing the coordinates with "loc:", e.g. enter this into Google maps:

loc: N 47° 55.387 E 008° 29.160

Hello,

I'm absolutelly new to this forum and to geochaching. My question is, if I copy the coordinates of an cache and paste them to google-maps, why there is so a huge difference between the coordinates of the cache and the point google shows me? For example I copy this one N 47° 55.387 E 008° 29.160 and paste it to google-maps, the difference is to big, so I will don't find the cache. What now is correct? The point which I found booked in the maps (green, red, yellow and so on), or the point google shows me?

I don't have a gps device yet so I try to find some caches only with the maps...

I hope you can understand what I mean.

Thx

I copy/paste the cache coordinates onto Google Earth using the "Geocache Google Earth Viewer" download that you'll find on the geocaching.com website. Click on "Your Profile", click on "Quick View" and then scroll down. The download is on the right side. I especially like it for inner city caches as I can tell exactly where it may be located and I can plan parking, accessibility, etc. Even outside the city, trail heads, etc., are clearly shown and I've found the accuracy to be bang on.

:laughing:

Are you looking for Geo-Säule GC1TZ18 http://coord.info/GC1TZ18 ?

It's a Multi-cache.

It is not at those coordinates.

You have to find some information at those coordinates, and work out the new coordinates for where the cache is hidden.

Happy to help with a few suggestions, if you still want to go for that one!

But you may have to go there, find the iformation, then go home to look at a map... Unless you have a wonder phone that lets you add coordinates to maps.

I have found google earth to be incredibly accurate, more so than google maps.

Both use exactly the same underlying map data. They will always show exactly the same thing. Neither will be always accurate.

We stand with dfx, having found Google Earth to be just as wildly inaccurate as Google Maps.

Will wonders never cease? I've plotted the same destination using google maps and then google earth. Google maps showed me different directions that were longer. I've also stepped outside and taken my coordinates at the house. Google earth pinpointed my house, google maps pinpointed the end of my driveway at the road 1/3 of a mile away. I'm pretty rural.

Will wonders never cease? I've plotted the same destination using google maps and then google earth. Google maps showed me different directions that were longer.

That's driving directions. Independent of map data.

I've also stepped outside and taken my coordinates at the house. Google earth pinpointed my house, google maps pinpointed the end of my driveway at the road 1/3 of a mile away. I'm pretty rural.

See post #6 above.

Edited by dfx

Will wonders never cease? I've plotted the same destination using google maps and then google earth. Google maps showed me different directions that were longer. I've also stepped outside and taken my coordinates at the house. Google earth pinpointed my house, google maps pinpointed the end of my driveway at the road 1/3 of a mile away. I'm pretty rural.

Right............ That is plotting a route, far different than pinpointing coordinates. An apples/oranges comparison.