Forum Avatar vs Geocaching Avatar

I have always felt free to change my forum avatar to whatever I want, while feeling comfortable that my local folks will always see my good old familiar b7957b4c-ced3-416d-85b9-8965dc464809.jpg or my newer ce45ec95-bfc9-41c6-b111-b9611e874ece.jpg avatar. But tonight I discovered that it isn't always true! If you look at who "Favorited" a cache, it isn't your geocaching avatar that shows up, but your forum avatar. I don't really like that. I sometimes like to play around with my forum persona, but I prefer my local persona to remain consistent.

My Feedback post, in case you want to add your opinion.

Edited by knowschad

I never thought the geocaching avatar did anything. I didn't know it showed up anywhere. Maybe it's slowly being phased out to keep the avatars more straightforward. It would be a step in the right direction. The profile pages of this site are a mess.

I must agree with you about the profile pages. Much of the problem, however, has come from trying to add new things while keeping the old timers happy. But yeah... its a mess.

I never thought the geocaching avatar did anything. I didn't know it showed up anywhere. Maybe it's slowly being phased out to keep the avatars more straightforward. It would be a step in the right direction. The profile pages of this site are a mess.

I must agree with you about the profile pages. Much of the problem, however, has come from trying to add new things while keeping the old timers happy. But yeah... its a mess.

They redesigned the whole site, but left the profile page nearly exactly the same.

They redesigned the whole site, but left the profile page nearly exactly the same.

Uh, that doesn't make sense to me. How could they "redesign the whole web site" yet leave part of the web site the same? :huh:

Uh, that doesn't make sense to me. How could they "redesign the whole web site" yet leave part of the web site the same? :huh:

Oh, I get it.

He meant to say "exactly the same, only different".

So, that means that "the Whole web site, except the profile page is exactly the same, only different". Or he exactly meant to say that it is only different. Or he is exactly correct or just nearly. Or the whole site is different. Or ???????????????? whaaaaat did he mean??????????????

:unsure:

-----------------------------

I have always felt free to change my forum avatar to whatever I want, while feeling comfortable that my local folks will always see my good old familiar b7957b4c-ced3-416d-85b9-8965dc464809.jpg or my newer ce45ec95-bfc9-41c6-b111-b9611e874ece.jpg avatar. But tonight I discovered that it isn't always true! If you look at who "Favorited" a cache, it isn't your geocaching avatar that shows up, but your forum avatar. I don't really like that. I sometimes like to play around with my forum persona, but I prefer my local persona to remain consistent.

as long as i've been active, its never been different, hence you had to access the forums from your profile after adding/changing to update it

My Avatar

Shown Throughout the Site

Choose Your Avatar

An avatar image can be found to the left of each post in the Groundspeak discussion forums as well as on a variety of pages on this web site.

Edited by t4e

It used to be that your avatar would update here to whatever you picked on GC.com when you signed in through GC.com. If you then went back to a different icon on GC.com but signed onto the forums directly, it did not update. Without going and checking, I'm assuming KC is saying that it now updates automatically without needing to sign in through GC.com.

Is that correct?

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that the site recently had been dropping my avatar altogether? It was still saved in my profile, but it kept deselecting it, leaving me with the little default grey face. It didn't seem to change it here, though, only on GC.com. Did they "fix" what KC's observing when they fixed whatever dropped my pic? :unsure:

as long as i've been active, its never been different, hence you had to access the forums from your profile after adding/changing to update it

My Avatar

Choose Your Avatar

An avatar image can be found to the left of each post in the Groundspeak discussion forums as well as on a variety of pages on this web site.

Ooooh, I get what Knowschad means. He is saying his Profile image should be the image that in shown with the drop-down favorite box on each cache. Not the forum avatar image.

Yes! I do agree with that.

It might confuse the cache owners to see different images or if the people do not post on the forums, the generic image for the site when they actually have an image on their profile page.

Good catch on that Mr. Charter Nobody.

You have my vote on that one. If I have any left that is.

Shirley~

----------------------------------------

There's no such thing as a "geocaching avatar". There's a profile picture, which can be any size and is not an avatar, and an avatar, which is used for both the forums and the main site (where avatars are used, such as the favorite lists).

My Avatar

Choose Your Avatar

OK, I see what you are saying. But previously, (AFAIK), the avatar was restricted to being displayed in the forum. Your "picture" was essentially the avatar for the geocaching website. Or perhaps that was just my perception.

My Avatar

Choose Your Avatar

Ooooh, I get what Knowschad means. He is saying his Profile image should be the image that in shown with the drop-down favorite box on each cache. Not the forum avatar image.

It might confuse the cache owners to see different images or if the people do not post on the forums, the generic image for the site when they actually have an image on their profile page.

Shirley~

Exactly!!! Thanks for paraphrasing me so well.

My Avatar

Choose Your Avatar

Shirley~

again, separate things...avatar and profile picture...and how is it confusing?....your avatar is visible throughout the site whereas the profile picture is what its says, only visible if someone visits your profile

OK, I see what you are saying. But previously, (AFAIK), the avatar was restricted to being displayed in the forum. Your "picture" was essentially the avatar for the geocaching website. Or perhaps that was just my perception.

nope, the avatar was in the forum and in the little box in the top right corner of your profile

Edited by t4e

The only place on gc.com where the avatar (or any picture for that matter) was shown used to be the friends list. Now there's also the favorite list. I don't think any picture is shown anywhere else.

The only place on gc.com where the avatar (or any picture for that matter) was shown used to be the friends list. Now there's also the favorite list. I don't think any picture is shown anywhere else.

Public profile (the tabbed interface), too. But t4e is correct... I see that now. The "forum" avatar is also used in the upper-right of the profile. I used to only use one image for both the avatar and the pictures, so guess that's where I got confused.

This thread can die.