60cx v 62

Well, I have never picked up a gps for geocaching, but the kids want to try it so....

My options are

60cx for 200$ or a 62 for 279$

I have never uploaded a file, and don't really understand the true benefits of paperless...I mean people have seemed fine without it for the past 10 years...other reviews have said that the 62 software lacks vs the 60cx...again as I am a complete noob, is the 62 software really an issue?

Does one out perform the other with accuracy or signal strength? Is one the better buy?

Please don't post a Dakota or explorist would be good, cause that would send me into another 6hr iPad hunt for reviews and comparisons...this is really confusing as it is :)

Which would you buy?

Thanks in advance.

I would get the 279 becaue it ha the newer technology. Not just paperles caching but the ability to use custom raster maps is a really nice feature. You can add satellite imagery or image of paper topo maps to augment the vector maps.

Much as I love my 60Cx and wouldn't part with it, go for the 62.

You'll need the description for each cache. If you go with the 60 this means printing the cache page for each cache you think you might try to find, then when you see a cache symbol on the map you have to find the correct sheet to read what you're going to be looking for (and hoping that it's one of the ones you printed). With a 62 you just run a PQ covering the general area you want to look in and drop the result file straight into the gps, then when a cache symbol appears you just tap it and everything is right there. No printing things, no deciding beforehand what you want to look for, and if you see a cache symbol you know you've got the info for it.

That is the true benefit of paperless :)

Gary

There is another alternative. I use a 60CX, but I load the cache descriptions on a pda. This works well. If I were purchasing today I would not choose this way. When I started using my 60CX there was no all in one device like today. I look at the 62s often, but have not decided to part with the money yet. One of these days though I will sucumb to temptation.

There is no doubt that, to me at least, a paperless supporting GPSr is much better. On my 62s for example, cache descriptions, hints and logs are just as they appear on the website. At the click of a scroll button I have all the info I need. But I still love and still use my 60Cx and 60CSx. They're not paperless but programs like GSAK, and others, can help. Using GSAK in it's most simplest form, I'm reading only the cache container size and an abbreviated clue (due to limited character space on the 60 series handhelds). That works pretty well for me. You can add more character space, so to speak, by using a POI loader and macro. I'm still feeling my way around GSAK but it's nice to know of the options. BTW, there are some very sharp people using this forum that have helped me a lot with GSAK so it's a good alternative to full out paperless.

I used a 60CSX and recently got a 62s. I love the access to the cache description, hints and logs -- especially after a good hike to a cache that I can't find. However, the 60CSX is still the best in highly wooded areas. The 62s has some quirks which I hope new software updates will correct. I like the 62s and it is now my preferred GPS for geocaching. Go with the new technology. Garmin has shown that they fix the bugs in new technology. The 60CSX is good, but it also has had time to get all the bugs worked out. Beside some fun new things, like finding Chirp caches or wireless sending/receiving of information are not available on the 60CSX and never will be. We've had a lot of fun with new features.