do you lanyard?

do you carry your gps on a lanyard while geocaching? i currently carry my vista hcx in a little neopreme garmin pouch and clip it to the pocket of my jeans whenever i need to sign a log. i'm thinking of switching over to a lanyard system and include a bic pen on a key ring with a hole drilled in the cap side.

I use one of these lanyards on my Garmin Colorado:

paracord_lanyard.jpg

This way, my GPS remains attached to me...but being longer than a typical carabiner I can get my GPS further from my hip so I can easily read it without having to remove it at every cache.

As a hobby, I make these (as well as survival bracelets, keychains, water bottle carriers, etc.) myself and offer them to our local geocachers for just a little more than the material costs...it's not a big money maker for me (I earn about $1/hour for the lanyards, about $3/hour for a bracelet or water bottle carrier, when you consider how long it takes to make one...way below minimum wage)...but I also have them available through our local geocaching store with profits going back into the association for expenses associated with events/prizes. The paracord is available in a rainbow of colors (solid, neon, multi, camo, reflective, glow-in-the-dark) from a variety of sources. If you don't want to take the time to purchase materials and learn to make them yourself, they're available from the Space Coast Geocachers through their Facebook page.

my dakota is on a lanyard but normally if im hiking while caching I have a small pack so it is clipped onto one of the shoulder straps so the lanyard is just a precaution so I dont drop it while looking at it :o (I do like those home made lanyards...ive made lots of the bracelets (swag) but i never thought of putting a clip on it for my GPSr)

Canadian Cacher, night-time reflective lanyard and carabiner for my 62s (and not the huge carabiner that came with it). Also attached to the lanyard is a small, narrow pouch with a pen inside. I'm presently using just the wrist straps with both my 60Cx and 60CSx. How are others attaching those devices to a landyard?

Edited by luvvinbird

I have to say I use the lanyard that came with a couple of old flash drive sticks, because they had a quick-release to them.

lanyard_clip.jpg

Before a photo place near me went out of business, I had a bunch of neon colored solid lanyards, which had just the thin thread loop on the end, and they were worthless.. the thread would fray and break too easily.. But, the cord was similar to the above photo.

Otherwise, I'll just carry the GPS in hand, in front of me, and when I'm done unting, I'll just turn it off, and stick it in my pocket.

Stephen (gelfling6)