This coin aint going to get taken...

Afterburned

As part of a coming of age event I am giving a symbolic coin to a young man. I have had my caching friends discover it before hand and add thier sage wisdom in the log. (Yes they have seen and touched the coin) I am tempted to release a proxy for the coin so it may gather more wisdom as it travels. The young man probably will not become a geocacher and if he does I doubt very much he would release the coin.

Given the lack of enthusiasm with proxies any feedback on this idea?

As part of a coming of age event I am giving a symbolic coin to a young man. I have had my caching friends discover it before hand and add thier sage wisdom in the log. (Yes they have seen and touched the coin) I am tempted to release a proxy for the coin so it may gather more wisdom as it travels. The young man probably will not become a geocacher and if he does I doubt very much he would release the coin.

Given the lack of enthusiasm with proxies any feedback on this idea?

I think it's a great idea. And I also think you should share the story on the coin page when you release the proxy. People will understand. And those that don't, you probably don't want moving your coins anyway.

And although I do not mind proxy coins in the least, I do appreciate it when they indicate that they are as such in the title.

I got a few of the 'Copycat' tags to reuse some of the tracking numbers from missing coins. To these I attached something related to the original, and made sure it was clear in the description that it was a proxy. Keep the code alive and allow those who cherish the icons obtain them.

It appears the 'CopyCats' are no longer available, but have been replaced by 'Micro proxy's'.

May do this in future with coins I'd like to share but know will not last. I released 3 2010 Scout coins given to me by our Council, all disappeared quickly. Re-released one as a CC Proxy and will see how it does.

In the case of the Sasquatch, I attached a laminated photo & description. Sorry, but no way in blazes am I releasing the actual coin. This way the icon can at least be shared (although it hasn't been logged since release).

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TB2NGQQ

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TB37E1R

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TB368ZK

Edited by rickctroop13

These are becoming more and more common. Groundspeak has been very helpful in setting up basic guidelines for Proxy use...

Proxies are sometimes used as substitutes for traveling items that have been lost, destroyed or removed from caching permanently. A Proxie (facsimile)is used to replace the original Trackable item to continue on with the original mission. These Proxies can be made in any number of materials and must bear the Tracking Code of the original item.

Because Proxies are not original Trackables, there are special considerations that should be taken in their use.

1) All Proxies should state clearly on their Trackable Page that they are a Proxy and not the original. IE: Please use "PROXY: Signal CITO Geocoin" rather than "Signal CITO Geocoin"

2) If possible a picture of the Proxy should be posted instead of (or in addition to) any image of an original Trackable.

3) No more than one Proxy bearing an identical Tracking Code should be in use at any time.

4) Before a Proxy is placed in a cache, the owner should make every attempt to recover an original Trackable that has gone missing.

5) If an original trackable should reappear for any reason while a proxy is use then either the Trackable or the Proxy should be removed from the cache as quickly as possible. If you cannot remove one or the other item yourself, please enlist help from cachers in the area of your Trackable.

6) No more than one Trackable item bearing an identical Tracking Code should be in use at any time. IE: A Trackable and a Proxy bearing the same code should not both be in use simultaneously. Use of this kind is against Groundspeak guidelines, causes disruption of Tracking Mileage and is considered an abuse of the tracking code system. Continual use in this manner may result in the permanent deactivation of the Tracking Code.

To learn more about the many aspects of Trackable items please visit the Trackables page at www.Geocaching.com/track

The name of this coin should reflect that is a Proxy which should help make it more likely to travel and less likely to cause agnst with people hoping to find it.

Being new, I didn't have any idea gxproxy/proxy trackables existed. Very cool concept.

Surfed the site. Purchased one for a geocoin I have listed missing.

They have some very nifty custon swag to by, some is very affordable.

I wonder if (THOSE WHO SHALL REMAIN NAMELESS) will start collecting these?

Is it possible to totally remove a missing trackable from your inventory?

Thoughts anyone-

I also think using proxies to replace coins that have gone missing is ok, although I am not a big fan. I don't see myself launching them any time soon. The guidelines quoted above seem to indicate that the use of proxies is ONLY permitted to replace trackables that have gone missing, and I am happy to read that. IMO, people that launch proxies without ever having released the original coin, sort of want to have their cake (coin in collection) and eat it to (have it travel). You can't have it both ways.

I also think using proxies to replace coins that have gone missing is ok, although I am not a big fan. I don't see myself launching them any time soon. The guidelines quoted above seem to indicate that the use of proxies is ONLY permitted to replace trackables that have gone missing, and I am happy to read that. IMO, people that launch proxies without ever having released the original coin, sort of want to have their cake (coin in collection) and eat it to (have it travel). You can't have it both ways.

+1

I agree with this. The topic of proxies has been discussed to death, and everybody has their own opinion about them - and that's perfectly fine 'cause everybody needs to cache the way that makes them happy! Personally, I won't log proxies if they are placed INSTEAD of a coin that has never traveled. But I don't mind if other people are okay with that. My biggest beef is when the owner doesn't list the coin as a proxy IN ITS NAME. I am diligent about moving coins and tbs and it really annoys me to get to a cache that has a coin in its inventory, only to discover it is a proxy. I'm just asking that you identify them as such so we know in advance!

+1

I agree with this. The topic of proxies has been discussed to death, and everybody has their own opinion about them - and that's perfectly fine 'cause everybody needs to cache the way that makes them happy! Personally, I won't log proxies if they are placed INSTEAD of a coin that has never traveled. But I don't mind if other people are okay with that. My biggest beef is when the owner doesn't list the coin as a proxy IN ITS NAME. I am diligent about moving coins and tbs and it really annoys me to get to a cache that has a coin in its inventory, only to discover it is a proxy. I'm just asking that you identify them as such so we know in advance!

+1

I personally do not like proxies under any circumstances. I don't move them. Playing the coin/TB is clearly a risk. The risk is in part what makes finding a traveler which has been out in the wild for years and traveled many miles so special. To be way over dramatic, much like life, some coins like some of us will die young and some will have long and fulfulled lives.

Edited by Russ!

i bet those that have an issue with proxys never spent a penny on one :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity, why would they?

exactly, so they shouldn't complain if i send out a copy

I bet that those that use proxies prefer to avoid spending money to buy real coins.

that makes no sense in this context, how would you make a proxy if you don't buy areal coin? :blink:

Edited by t4e

My point is that it takes quite a bit of nerve to 'accuse' people who DON'T use proxies but only real coins of being cheap. To me it would seem that making proxies instead of buying a real geocoin to travel instead of the one that was lost, is the 'cheaper' option.

And yes, I know that a new coin will not be able to continue the travels of the one that was lost, but why should it? It was lost, get over it.

Edited by kdv

These are becoming more and more common. Groundspeak has been very helpful in setting up basic guidelines for Proxy use...

Thanks, Chris!

Can you provide a link to where the proxy guidelines exist on the Groundspeak website? I ran searches in the "Help Center" and several other FAQ sections and could not find the guidelines, but would like to link to them since GeocacheAlaska! is offering proxies for Alaskan trackables.

I do have a coin PROXY that I started out as a PROXY. On the coin page, and in the name of the coin, I put PROXY.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3325637#

This PROXY is traveling with another coin, AND a TB, headed to Germany, on a MR. Gray mission. Hopefully, folks will help them along on their mission, even though one of the 3 IS a proxy.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2161536#

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3604867#