Northern Ca Handicapped Access

BOOTZOO-CREW

icon_eek.gif I know from going thru my zip area for caches that there is 1 person who has placed their caches easily for a handicap person to reach. However he is the only one. My husband likes to Geo with me but cannot do most of them because of the long walking or steep climbs. I have tried to find easy ones and we have done all of them that we can. We love this sport but would like to see more. And to you.. the person who has made some for the handicap we say thank you so very much! icon_smile.gif

I couldn't agree more. My mother is in a wheelchair so I understand the situation. I live in the LA/Orange County part of Calif. and we have a small percentage of ADA accessible caches. However, with as many caches as we have (I have 2700+ within 100 miles) that means that many are do-able for a person in a wheelchair or that has trouble walking. A large percentage of Virtual Caches are ADA compliant because we often use historical markers and they tend to be ADA compliant.

I wish you luck in your hunt for ADA caches in your area but don't forget that there are others looking for them too, so go out and hide some!

Tigger icon_cool.gif

At a recent event I asked a family who has a family member in a wheelchair what they consider to be wheelchair accessible. I asked whether it was a cache that someone who is WC bound could do from beginning to end without assistance or one that they could get to but not necessarily pickup, log-in and replace or some other variety. Since their family member has multiple disabilities, they were happy with caches where they did not have to split the team "a distance" from the cache since the remainder of the cache could not be reached in a WC. I am curious as to what your definition of a handicap accessible cache would be.

=========

"The Road goes ever on and on, out form the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, Let others follow it who can!"

While it takes up a lot of room and we are considering removing it, we maintain on our caches a list of the ones which are accessible. See here for an example:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=24812

We rate caches as either "95% accessible -- bring a friend" or "100% accessible."

We have long hoped this would become a standard part of cache descriptions so searches could be customized, etc.

Pretty much exactly what you said here...

"Since their family member has multiple disabilities, they were happy with caches where they did not have to split the team "a distance" from the cache since the remainder of the cache could not be reached in a WC."

If we think people would still feel like they were doing it TOGETHER, even if one of them had to step off the path, or reach behind a tree, or something that some people would find difficult to accomplish, then we post it like that.

This is very inexact and arbitrary, of course. But most of the people to whom this kind of thing would be important are used to that and are resourceful enough to deal with it if it is well thought out. We try not to surprise anyone -- it's pretty much what you would expect.

I would think, considering the range of different people out there, that this is probably all we can try to do. And our experience is that it is appreciated!

I have edited one of my cache descriptions>

Take a look here

I used a html generator developed by the Texas Geocaching Association and then edited it using the description you developed.

If you are interested in the generator - you will find it here.

=========

"The Road goes ever on and on, out form the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, Let others follow it who can!"