Geocaching vs. beanchmarking

Non-NGS Benchmarks is one of the best reasons to use Waymarking. :)

And the hoops they make you jump through to log a benchmark is one of the best reasons not to as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure some people enjoy spending 20 minutes describing each benchmark in meticulous detail, and I'm happy someone's doing it, but I'm not much interested in logging much more than "I found it, here are my coords, here are a couple pictures, oh and maybe here's something I thought was interesting about the find" myself.

Some Waymarking categories definitely have hoops I find annoying (war memorials wanting photos where you can read every word AND the description to contain a transcription of the entire memorial as well annoyed me enough to caused me to temporarily stop Waymarking at all).

But the Benchmark category doesn't seem to be one of those.

YMMV. I've logged a few benchmarks at Waymarking myself, and decided it was more trouble than I wanted to go through. Especially after a moderator (or whatever term they use there is) wrote to me to complain my description wasn't detailed enough.

I like benchmarking as well as geocaching. I do not do Waymarking. Each offers it's own challenge and rewards. After looking for micros, it is a nice change of pace to look for a benchmark. Many of the benchmarks in the 10 year old data base are missing or paved over. It is disappointing to run across benchmarks that are not in the Geocache data base. I do not log on the NGS database. Skyboy01

I think I read that benchmarks in Canada are not loggable on geocaching, but are on benchmarking.com... *i think that's what I read* I didn't take enough time to understand that.

In that case, no, not going to bother hunting or logging benchmarks. I really like all my gps activities to be on one website.

I think I read that benchmarks in Canada are not loggable on geocaching, but are on benchmarking.com... *i think that's what I read* I didn't take enough time to understand that.

In that case, no, not going to bother hunting or logging benchmarks. I really like all my gps activities to be on one website.

I would be interested in logging benchmarks in Canada, if it was a simple procedure like logging caches, and in the same website.

But whatever...they are still fun to find.

GC18D4D 43 and the Generation Station (Ontario)

Lock_43_geodetic_marker.JPG

GCVMFM Nutimik Fire Tower (Manitoba)

IMG_0947.JPG

There is not any site named "benchmarking.com" for logging marks. I think you had read "Waymarking.com". Which, you are correct, is not blended with this site as the snapshot of the NGS database is. Here, if you log a benchmark, it shows a benchmark icon under the caches and keeps a running total of all recoveries that you have gone out and made a determination of what you see for the log on the benchmark page. (You may look at our recoveries to understand that statement.)

I agree, we in the states are lucky to have this database to be able to have another thing to look for while caching. I wish all the available databases for marks worldwide were available for everyone. Now, that would be a very addictive activity to blend in with Geocaching. Just think, no matter where you were, either one would make for an interesting past time, or both together. Find a benchmark and go to the nearest Cache/virtual, then punch in nearest benchmark to that cache/virtual. Intriguing? It definitely is. That is what we do, out in the field. I have both caches/virtuals and benchmarks showing on the Topo mapping program on our laptop where ever we go. Then I pull up the info to see if we want to do a particular one or not.

Happy caching and benchmarking to all.

Shirley~

The only time I looked for a benchmark was when I was looking for The Necropolis at Britannia Manor III

There is a stage that leads you to a benchmark. My friends and I could never find it on the site to log it. For a cache that is as hugely poplar as the Necropolis... you'd think there would be more info on why but there weren't.

So, that experience soured us on it.