What's stopping someone from abusing geocaching.com free features?

Namely the unlimited photo uploading one. If someone was to sign up for geocaching.com, never actually go geocaching, find an archived geocache with a CO that doesn't play anymore, then upload photo after photo, sort of as a free Photobucket with unlimited bandwidth? Sure the quality goes down, but the same happens with Photobucket, ImageShake and many others. And those have restrictions on it.

So what if a known geocacher, goes onto many other online communities, such as twitter, or a popular blog such as LifeHacker, which is notorious for having hundreds of little tricks and exploits on the internet so this would be a perfect fit, and then posts this little trick. It then spreads like wildfire, and everyone is using Geocaching.com as free photo uploading without geocaching?

It's something that needs to be looked into.

Namely the unlimited photo uploading one. If someone was to sign up for geocaching.com, never actually go geocaching, find an archived geocache with a CO that doesn't play anymore, then upload photo after photo, sort of as a free Photobucket with unlimited bandwidth? Sure the quality goes down, but the same happens with Photobucket, ImageShake and many others. And those have restrictions on it.

So what if a known geocacher, goes onto many other online communities, such as twitter, or a popular blog such as LifeHacker, which is notorious for having hundreds of little tricks and exploits on the internet so this would be a perfect fit, and then posts this little trick. It then spreads like wildfire, and everyone is using Geocaching.com as free photo uploading without geocaching?

Even the simplest form of site analysis would show the problem, and the fix is simple. Not sure I see the issue.

ImageShack also has unlimited bandwidth, lets you keep the full resolution, and as far as I know, quality. I don't think geocaching.com is very high on the List of Websites to Exploit and Abuse for Free Image Hosting.

And uploading one image at a time would be a bit cumbersome for someone who wants to use it for that purpose.

cuz they're too dumb to catch that sort of thing, and rely upon 17-year-olds to help them figure this stuff out. :rolleyes:

???

To participate in the Groundspeak Discussion Forums, you must be 18 years or older.
???

Good catch.

What is Groundspeak going to do to comply with their own Terms of Use Agreement?

http://www.geocaching.com/about/termsofuse.aspx

4. Use of Publishing Tools and Forums

All features, functions and areas of the geocaching.com website, including the Groundspeak Forums (http://forums.Groundspeak.com), are governed by this Agreement and are also subject to such additional terms and conditions as Groundspeak may, from time to time, publicize. To participate in the Groundspeak Discussion Forums, you must be 18 years or older.

:unsure:

cuz they're too dumb to catch that sort of thing, and rely upon 17-year-olds to help them figure this stuff out. :rolleyes:

???

To participate in the Groundspeak Discussion Forums, you must be 18 years or older.
???

Good catch.

What is Groundspeak going to do to comply with their own Terms of Use Agreement?

http://www.geocaching.com/about/termsofuse.aspx

All features, functions and areas of the geocaching.com website, including the Groundspeak Forums (http://forums.Groundspeak.com), are governed by this Agreement and are also subject to such additional terms and conditions as Groundspeak may, from time to time, publicize. To participate in the Groundspeak Discussion Forums, you must be 18 years or older.

Further proof that GEOCACHING DOESN'T CARE ABOUT CHINLDREN ! :blink:

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

If you mix a cup of white vinegar, 1/2 cup of cheer detergent, and 1 teaspoonful of paprika, let it sit overnight and then add 1ounce of baking soda (not baking powder) you will have an explosive that can level a garage that is not attached to a house.

If this were true, would it be wise to publish that information on the web for all to see? Anyone would then be able to make use of such things. Why are you telling everyone that they can use Groundspeak's servers for picture storing?

John

Now this thread is heading into the unknown. :laughing:

What's stopping me from still seeing threads started by the OP, even though I'm ignoring him? Nothing, I suppose. What were we talking about here? I'll be back, as soon as I see what my 11 yr. old has been doing on the interwebs. Playing Farmville, I would imagine, but I'd better be sure. :ph34r:

Sure the quality goes down, but the same happens with Photobucket, ImageShake and many others. And those have restrictions on it.

seriously, do you do any research before you make a statement?...FYI photobucket offers unlimited storage

What would stop someone from getting a free account on gc.com and then printing out a cache page on a thin piece of paper and making it into a comb kazoo? Then they may decide to play a copyrighted tune and sell it somewhere and would Groundspeak and all its members then be liable? It should be looked into.

mmmmm bacon

Yesterday was bacon day, you know. And how about that freaking Turkey Bacon, eh? That stuff is quite excellent, all with 1/3 the calories and fat of the real stuff. An amazing invention, in my opinion.

Never tried turkey bacon, but I heard there's excellent llama bacon. Did you ever try that bagel BELT from Timmies? It's loaded with bacon. Magor nom, I tell ya.

mmmmm bacon

Yesterday was bacon day, you know. And how about that freaking Turkey Bacon, eh? That stuff is quite excellent, all with 1/3 the calories and fat of the real stuff. An amazing invention, in my opinion.

You couldn't pay me to eat that trash. It shouldn't be allowed to be called bacon.

Gross!

even though I'm ignoring him?

Aggh, I didn't think anyone would ignore me!

I better start thinking more about what I post. :(

I say keep it up! Non stop entertainment!

That's what I said about Ashinkes, and he took it to the extreme and got banned. Once people start ignoring me, I've taken it too far.

mmmmm bacon

You couldn't pay me to eat that trash. It shouldn't be allowed to be called bacon.

Gross!

You're killing me man. Myself and the two kids are on board for Turkey Bacon big time. Mrs. Yuck hasn't come around yet, but it's only a matter of time. :lol:

even though I'm ignoring him?

Aggh, I didn't think anyone would ignore me!

I better start thinking more about what I post. :(

I think it's a bit too late for that :P

Yeah. Not that I believe he'll even try.

However, if Coldgears would make more typos in the topic, that would be appreciated. Those are always a source of amusement.

However, if Coldgears would make more typos in the topic, that would be appreciated. Those are always a source of amusement.

Yeah, this thread serisouly has been a disappointment in this respect. I demand my typoes!

mmmmm bacon

Gross!

You're killing me man. Myself and the two kids are on board for Turkey Bacon big time. Mrs. Yuck hasn't come around yet, but it's only a matter of time. :lol:

There's a lot that turkey can be used for: Turkey sausage, turkey burgers, and turkey meat sauce but turkey bacon is disgusting. Maybe its just because actual bacon is delicious beyond measure, but I think they should stop making turkey bacon all together just because it damages the name bacon.

Here's a list of things I would try before eating Turkey bacon again:

Cardboard

dried shoe leather

crushed glass smoothie

I know a few forum people who do this. They post an image onto the listing and then take the URL and post it on the forum.

It saves time.

???

???

Good catch.

http://www.geocachin...termsofuse.aspx

Oh my, I shouldn't be on this website right now....

I guess this is my last post...:tired: