Ignore List

I have several specific caches listed in my ignore list and I have selected the option not to include caches listed in my ignore list in my pocket queries but to no avail - the feature is just not working, Is anyone else experiencing this problem. Does anyone have any "fixes"

Thanks

I have several specific caches listed in my ignore list and I have selected the option not to include caches listed in my ignore list in my pocket queries but to no avail - the feature is just not working, Is anyone else experiencing this problem. Does anyone have any "fixes"

Thanks

I haven't had this happen. I did five PQs today so it'll be a few hours before I can test it again.

Were these ignores added recently?

The ignore list used to work - but no more. I vaguely recall that I once deleted the list and then a few weeks later reestablished the list - but it hasn't worked since I did that. The lists name is Ignore List - is that correct.

It is called Ignore List. It's a bookmark list that every user has by default. I'm surprised the system allowed you to delete the list (you can delete all the entries in the Ignore List, of course).

Assuming that a user can actually delete the list itself, then create a new one with the same name, I have no idea whether the system would recognize it and use it correctly in pocket queries.

For what it's worth, my Ignore List functioned correctly for two pocket queries I generated around 8:30 last night. I just checked, and none of the caches on my Ignore List appear in the pocket query results.

--Larry

Does raise the question of how you created the "ignore" list. One previous poster talked about creating it. That is not how it works. It is self created when you click the ignore button. I ran a local query this am and the ignore ones were not there (and I got a bunch).

Maybe see you in Yuma

The ignore list used to work - but no more. I vaguely recall that I once deleted the list and then a few weeks later reestablished the list - but it hasn't worked since I did that. The lists name is Ignore List - is that correct.
Reading this post, it sounds like you have created a bookmark list and titled it "Ignore List" and then added caches to the list.

I'm not an expert on such things, but I think that you might have to actually click the "cross.gifIgnore Listing" link on the cache page.

Did you try one method over the other?

Reading this post, it sounds like you have created a bookmark list and titled it "Ignore List" and then added caches to the list.

I'm not an expert on such things, but I think that you might have to actually click the "cross.gifIgnore Listing" link on the cache page.

Thanks - your suggestion solved the problem - move to the head of the class

Actually, you can also click "Bookmark Listing" and then select "Ignore List" from the dropdown (assuming you haven't created your own bookmark list called "Ignore List").

This is the way I do it, since this method allows me to add a note so I can remember why the evil thing is being ignored.

--Larry

Actually, you can also click "Bookmark Listing" and then select "Ignore List" from the dropdown (assuming you haven't created your own bookmark list called "Ignore List").

This is the way I do it, since this method allows me to add a note so I can remember why the evil thing is being ignored.

--Larry

I think the bookmark itself had to be generated by clicking the link, though. Since it seemed to work, it would appear my hypothesis is correct.

Unless that was sarcasm... :unsure:

...but I don't think it was. :ph34r: Edited by Too Tall John

]I think the bookmark itself had to be generated by clicking the link, though. Since it seemed to work, it would appear my hypothesis is correct.

As I stated, I never, ever just click the "Ignore Listing" link, I use the method I described in my previous post to place a cache on my Ignore List.

--Larry

So, the 'list to be ignored' is not the same as the 'IGNORE LIST'?

Yeah, I knew that.

Every cache is a good cache! Every cache is equal. However, Parking Lot caches are More Equal than others.

No, they're not.

You have much to learn, grasshopper.

I was joking, sorry, it was a play on Animal Farm, if you didn't read the last chapter of the book the humor is very missable. Basically, the pigs, which do nothing (E.G. are the worst.) say that every animal is equal, except for them, they are more equal then others.

--Larry

Interesting. If it works for you, then go for it. But I definitely just ran a PQ of 100 caches from my home coordinates, did a "preview search", and there are no ignored caches being shown. So ultimately, the traditional ignore list function is not broken!! Personally, and I know I'm an oddball for active Geocachers, I never run PQ's for my home area, only for traveling. I just pop the coords in my GPS for local ones as I look for them. If they're found or ignored, I don't see them, and there's not too many that don't fit into either category.

--Larry

Interesting. If it works for you, then go for it. But I definitely just ran a PQ of 100 caches from my home coordinates, did a "preview search", and there are no ignored caches being shown. So ultimately, the traditional ignore list function is not broken!! Personally, and I know I'm an oddball for active Geocachers, I never run PQ's for my home area, only for traveling. I just pop the coords in my GPS for local ones as I look for them. If they're found or ignored, I don't see them, and there's not too many that don't fit into either category.

I'm confused, are you saying your results are different from mine? The only difference is that I don't click "Ignore Listing", I click "Bookmark Listing" and then select "Ignore List" from the dropdown. Just to be clear, this is the Ignore List provided with my account, not one I created with the same name. The result is the same, caches placed on the Ignore List do not show up in my pocket queries. How is that different from the results you see?

--Larry

--Larry

I'm confused, are you saying your results are different from mine? The only difference is that I don't click "Ignore Listing", I click "Bookmark Listing" and then select "Ignore List" from the dropdown. Just to be clear, this is the Ignore List provided with my account, not one I created with the same name. The result is the same, caches placed on the Ignore List do not show up in my pocket queries. How is that different from the results you see?

--Larry

No, the results are the same. You're just using another mouse click, I suppose. I just didn't know you could do it that way.

No, the results are the same. You're just using another mouse click, I suppose. I just didn't know you could do it that way.

I didn't either until I just tried it one day. I noticed that "Ignore List" was in the drop-down list when I clicked "Bookmark Listing."

I prefer this method, since there are various reasons for my putting a cache on my Ignore List, and I like to keep track of the reason. If I simply click "Ignore Listing" on the cache page and I then want to add a note, which I almost always do, I have to separately call up my (ever-growing) Ignore List, find the entry, and edit it to add a note. With an Ignore List that currently has 686 entries, that can get tedious.:lol:

--Larry

I didn't either until I just tried it one day. I noticed that "Ignore List" was in the drop-down list when I clicked "Bookmark Listing."

As someone else mentioned, I would think it depends on how the list was created. If you manually create a bookmark list and call it "ignore list", I'd assume it's not actually an ignore list. If you create it by using the "ignore listing" link, then it's an ignore list. Afterwards, it won't matter how you add items to or remove them from the list.

Edited by dfx

As someone else mentioned, I would think it depends on how the list was created. If you manually create a bookmark list and call it "ignore list", I'd assume it's not actually an ignore list. If you create it by using the "ignore listing" link, then it's an ignore list. Afterwards, it won't matter how you add items to or remove them from the list.

Agreed. I'm honestly surprised the system allows you to create multiple bookmark lists with the same name, especially "Ignore List". I just tried creating a new bookmark list with the name "Ignore List". No problem, I wound up with two lists named "Ignore List". I immediately deleted the "bogus" one I'd just created, to avoid confusing myself later.

The next hypothetical question is: Can you delete the list titled "Ignore List" that comes with a premium account? I, for one, do NOT want to try it, since I have no idea whether I could recreate it afterwards. And, no, I'm not willing to she'll out the money for another premium account just to answer the question. :lol:

--Larry

The next hypothetical question is: Can you delete the list titled "Ignore List" that comes with a premium account? I, for one, do NOT want to try it, since I have no idea whether I could recreate it afterwards. And, no, I'm not willing to she'll out the money for another premium account just to answer the question. :lol:

Yep, works just fine (just tried it). Deleting it also unignores any listings that were on it. Ignoring another listing then creates it new.

Yep, works just fine (just tried it). Deleting it also unignores any listings that were on it. Ignoring another listing then creates it new.

Very cool, and thanks for checking that out. It had been so long since I first created my Ignore List that I'd forgotten it was auto-generated the first time I ignored a cache. And I didn't want to delete my Ignore List, since that would entail re-adding almost 700 caches. Not my idea of a good time.

--Larry