On-demand GPX files?

Team Chevelle

I just paid to be a Premium member because I'd like to do some geocaching with my wife tomorrow -- we just decided a few minutes ago that we might have time. I was hoping that I could just generate a GPX file of the spots around here that we might hit (we're not sure how far we'll drive yet -- I just thought I'd grab everything within 20 miles or so).

I was a bit disappointed to discover that it doesn't look like that is possible. From what I understand now, the only way to get GPX files is to do the Pocket Queries -- and they only run "sometime" during the next day or so at the soonest, right?

In other words, there really isn't any way to get GPX files "right now", is there?

Is this due to a bandwidth or server load issue, I assume? Would there be a way to generate them on-the-fly by forcing smaller constraints (i.e. only allow maybe 25 points or a small mile distance or something) so that people could get them right away?

Either that, or just modify the "Hide & Seek" page so that all of the checked caches could easily be sent as a GPS to Premium Members -- instead of just the LOC file option? Would that really be too much more of a load.

I get the impression, after reading, that people that want to do this are just grabbing each web page anyway -- so it can't be that much more of a load to generate the GPX file then it is to have them pull each individual page (which consists of multiple requests/hits on the server), right?

Or is there some option to do on-demand GPX files that I'm missing, by chance? Making all of this moot? :-)

- John...

Welcome John.

As for the GPX files, I run a pocket query set to pull twice a week, even if I have no plans of getting out abd about. But you never know so I have them just incase. I understand what your story is so don't think I am trying to be a smart alack or anything.

I would suggest you try and run a pocket query anyway as I have found even at a late date - IE; same day - you run a good chance of getting a file anyway.

I have also found out that instead of saving from the start, open the file will get you a set of waypoints to load to a gps - if your using easygps anyway - and then save as a gpx file, which will give you the pages of info. Then I open them with Watcher and I have everthing I need without the printouts.

logscaler.

Indeed. I actually created a query just before posting -- and had set it for today -- it came through a bit later, so I am all set for tomorrow...

I still think on-demand for smaller searches, at least, makes a lot of sense. Possibly even MORE sense. I get the feeling that a lot of people do like logscaler just mentioned: have it send them weekly or more even though they have no plans of going out -- "just in case." If you didn't HAVE to do that, and could always generate one on-demand, I think people would stop having to do that -- and the overall demand would actually decrease as far as the load goes...

Granted, there may be some busier times and such, but it could still work -- especially if the output was more limited in size...

But, again, I'm set for tomorrow. Thanks!

- John...

This is exactly why the PQ generation works as it does; they're prioritized in reverse order they were last run. So if you create a new query and set it to run today, you'll normally get it within a few minutes because you're at the front of the line. If you have an old query that wasn't selected to run today and you set it to run today, you'll get it within a few minutes.

If you have one running daily or every other day or whatever, your're in "bulk mode" and you go to the end of the line and get to wait your turn.

It's a traditional scheduling technique used by computer guys familiar with timesharing: interactive tasks get prioritized over bulk/rote tasks.

(There's presumably some additional inputs into the scheduler to prevent starvation, but you get the idea...)

quote:
It's a traditional scheduling technique used by computer guys familiar with timesharing: interactive tasks get prioritized over bulk/rote tasks.

Yes, I'm quite familiar with that process. However, I still think that, here, the current system is actually creating MORE load instead of less. Granted, by prioritizing it some, it may be able to offset the load to a different time a bit, but I'm not sure that is really worth it (as opposed to allowing real on-the-fly generation). Especially, as I said, if it was limited to a specific size -- or even number of times per day...

- John...