Logging Finds with GSAK

Gravitysmith

Hi,

I made my first find today, but I am having troubles getting it to show up on my account here. How do I do that?

For more details, I have a GPSr that can do paperless caching and I have become relatively comfortable with GSAK for managing my list of desired caches. When I made the found today, I logged it on my GPSr and made a few notes for myself. According to the GPSr, it is found. Now that I am home again, I went to GSAK and told it to receive waypoints. I know that worked because the pre-loaded Garmin headquarters waypoints are now in GSAK. The problem is that GSAK still shows no finds, and when I click on the cache in GSAK, it does not contain my notes or any other indication I logged it as found. Even if it did show as found, I am also not sure how to synchronize my finds with geocaching.com, although that is one step beyond my current situation (perhaps better suited for GSAK forum).

As a separate method, I logged into my account here, and looked for a way to log my find, but I do not see relevant links on my account page. I do not need to log my find through GSAK (although that would be nice). I mostly just want it to show up on my account at geocaching.com. I figure I must be overlooking something simple. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the links about logging. I think I actually read some of that a few days ago, but there is so much new information to absorb it is overwhelming.

I am a little surprised about the lack of integration GSAK has with geocaching.com, but I can imagine it could also be a spam-prevention type of thing.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the links about logging. I think I actually read some of that a few days ago, but there is so much new information to absorb it is overwhelming.

I am a little surprised about the lack of integration GSAK has with geocaching.com, but I can imagine it could also be a spam-prevention type of thing.

Thanks for your help.

GSAK is not in way related to Geocaching.com, it is created by a completely separate entity

geocaching.com however supports numerous GPS devices to upload "filed notes" as per the link that mpilchfamily provided

Edited by t4e

Thanks everyone! I used the fieldnotes option, and I like the way it works. I will stick with that.

As for GSAK, I guess I had a slight misunderstanding of what it does. It is a nice program, and given its versatility, I just assumed it would be more integrated. Since my remaining questions are more specific to their program, I will take my questions there. Thanks again for the help!

Thanks everyone! I used the fieldnotes option, and I like the way it works. I will stick with that.

As for GSAK, I guess I had a slight misunderstanding of what it does. It is a nice program, and given its versatility, I just assumed it would be more integrated. Since my remaining questions are more specific to their program, I will take my questions there. Thanks again for the help!

Groundspeak is working on a 3rd party API.

GSAK is working with Groundspeak to help implement things so the two work together.

Edit to add:

Best to use the same user name in the GSAK forums, makes life! easier.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

So after many fitful starts I tried GSAK again and have seemed to make some progress in being able to use it. Something that seems odd happened. I used the option to publish logs from GSAK just now. I even went ahead and dropped some TB's and retrieve some through GSAK. Logged on find and one DNF. Seemed to go well, however on GC.com my total "caches found" number didn't increase by one like I would have expected it to. Ran the my finds PQ and the total there was correct. Only when I edited the log entry on the find (all I did was click submit, didn't actually edit the entry) did the "caches found" total update. Anyone seen this before or have any ideas why that might have happened, or what I could have done wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Actually GSAK version 8 is nicely integrated with geocaching.com. You can download cache details directly into a database and after logging the finds on your GPSr your can import your finds into GSAK and then log to the website right from GSAK. I find it very integrated and far better than version 7.

So after many fitful starts I tried GSAK again and have seemed to make some progress in being able to use it. Something that seems odd happened. I used the option to publish logs from GSAK just now. I even went ahead and dropped some TB's and retrieve some through GSAK. Logged on find and one DNF. Seemed to go well, however on GC.com my total "caches found" number didn't increase by one like I would have expected it to. Ran the my finds PQ and the total there was correct. Only when I edited the log entry on the find (all I did was click submit, didn't actually edit the entry) did the "caches found" total update. Anyone seen this before or have any ideas why that might have happened, or what I could have done wrong?

Yeah, the banners are a bit slow on updating. The information for this is cached and only updated now and then. You have to log out and log back in to force the immediate change. If your patient and wait a while they will eventually update. The PQ is right because it interrogates the database for the correct values.

Yeah, the banners are a bit slow on updating. The information for this is cached and only updated now and then. You have to log out and log back in to force the immediate change. If your patient and wait a while they will eventually update. The PQ is right because it interrogates the database for the correct values.

Cool thanks! Thanks for the crazy quick reply too!!