What IS your geocaching bag?

dorqie

I guess I should start off by sharing what mine is. My caching bag always evolves to become my purse. Right now it's a canvas purse with a long adjustable strap, so I can loop it over myself and cache hands free. It has a design on it, and passes for a casual summer purse.

I use my MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) backpack. It is a narrow type that is great for skiing because it will not interfere with your arm movement. it has a Platypus hydration pack in it. That is pretty good because it has a lifetime warranty, and is anti-microbial (after 15 years, never had a problem with smell etc.). I have sewn some vector onto the shoulder strap so that I can attach my GPS quickly(I installed Velcro on the back of the GPS). Seems to work well; but it can be a pain to get at things in the bottom.

Edit to add photo of the Velcro for the GPS

6ec4303c-695c-4fbf-9701-ed0dba10e472.jpg

Edited by Andronicus

I use this bag from Fox Tactical.

https://www.foxoutdoor.com/ItemDetails.aspx?cid=1&ccid=5&cscid=23

It seems to be a fairly popular style of bag. Others have mentioned they care similar bags from other manufactures. Here is another thread that covers what bags people are using.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=271193&st=0&p=4710961&hl=fox%20tactical&fromsearch=1entry4710961

• Upvote 1

Camelbak Mule NV containing the following:

1. Swag

2. Travelbugs and Geocoins

3. Otterbox for iPhone

4. Fisher Trekker Space Pen

5. Gerber Infinity Flashlight

6. Gerber Suspension Butterfly Multitool

7. Canon S95 Camera

8. Aloksak bags (running the gamut in sizes)

9. Rite-in-Rain Logs (runing the gamut in sizes)

10. Pencils

11. Cache containers (decon, micro, and nano)

12. Marmot Power Stretch Gloves

13. Lansatic Compass

14. Bushnell Powerview Binoculars

15. 3M Ultrathon Bug Spray

16. Tecnu Extreme Poison Ivy Scrub

17. Lightweight First Aid Kit

18. Ponchos

Makes/models are provided to start a conversation about some of this. As near as I can tell, many folks carry a bag containing some variant of this set of stuff. Curious what makes/models people like (e.g. what multitool? What flashlight? What bug spray? Etc.) and why; and what they don't and why.

--Matt

Edited by mattvandyk

I bought a bag off Ebay for about $20.00 with shipping. Here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/Venturer-Black-Military-Survivor-Shoulder-Bag-/260594867159?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Backpacks&hash=item3cacaa1bd7 I really like it it has a long adjustable strap that can go over your neck and shoulder. I carry the usuall stuff but since 3 kiddos are with us we have hand sanitizer, band aids pencils., pencils and more pencils....notebooks, spare logs, baggies, flashlight. I am thinling of adding needle nose plyers and a small mirror and maybe some gloves. I hate the thought of getting stung exploring for a cache. Even though the bag is not huge we always slip one extra water bottle in the bottom..a hydrated kid is a happy kid.

I bought a bag off Ebay for about $20.00 with shipping. Here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/Venturer-Black-Military-Survivor-Shoulder-Bag-/260594867159?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Backpacks&hash=item3cacaa1bd7 I really like it it has a long adjustable strap that can go over your neck and shoulder. I carry the usuall stuff but since 3 kiddos are with us we have hand sanitizer, band aids pencils., pencils and more pencils....notebooks, spare logs, baggies, flashlight. I am thinling of adding needle nose plyers and a small mirror and maybe some gloves. I hate the thought of getting stung exploring for a cache. Even though the bag is not huge we always slip one extra water bottle in the bottom..a hydrated kid is a happy kid.

I really like that bag. Might have to pick one up when I find some extra money for myself...

https://www.foxoutdo...ccid=5&cscid=23

It seems to be a fairly popular style of bag. Others have mentioned they care similar bags from other manufactures. Here is another thread that covers what bags people are using.

http://forums.Ground...1

Fox Tactical appears to sell to wholesalers ONLY....... I take it you purchased the bag elsewhere?

Yea my local surplus shop caries there gear.

My bag is currently an old Gap-branded backpack that I bought for 75% off back in 1998.

Most of the internal waterproofing has disintegrated (mostly due to a sunblock dumping accident) but it's still in good shape, cleans up easily, and several pockets that I can also use for it to double as my bicycling bag ;)

Now that I think of it though, neither need is taken care of exceptionally, but it just works. *shrug*

I store my caching gear in a canvas builders bag. If I'm looking for urban style caches or ones requiring a short walk (less than 2Ks) then I just throw this bag on the back seat & go. I have a daypack for hikes.

The builders bag contains:

1. Garmin Map60CSx

2. Camera

3. Nuvi

4. Mounts

5. Cabling

6. Inverter

7. Relevant topographical maps

8. State forest map

9. A leather glove (right hand only)

10. Swaps

11. Insect repellent, baby powder, anti chaffing cream

12. Hand wipes

13. That paper

14. Name tag

15. Spare note books, ziplock bags, cache container, silica gel

12. Dual power outlet

13. Folding magnifying glass

14. Sock protectors, fly veil

15. Poncho

16. Small first aid kit

17. Eye drops

18. The Garmin's handbook

19. A Leatherman Surge

20. Silva Victor compass

21. Pens

22. Led Lenser torch (small), spare batteries

23. Rechargeable AA batteries

24. Battery charger

The daypack contains:

1. Folding knife

2. Tick remover

3. Another Led Lenser

4. Mosquito clicker

5. Cigarette lighter, waterproof matches

6. A "Light My Fire" flint tool

7. Tissues

8. 2 1 litre water bottles

I just add whatever extras I need to the daypack but keep weight to the minimum.

All this is stored at home in a blanket box. This box has a few things in it as well like throwies, all my other topos, extra swaps, a book on free or low cost camping, National Parks info.

I cache with my trusty Camelbak Motherlode (3l) I love it; comfortable whether it has a full load or not, I can bring a water bladder for those longer trips and it fits everything in it, with plenty of places to hang those useful carabiners, cord, GPS, bunny.... :anibad:

Geobag.jpg

and I also have my Geopatch trackable on it!

We have a plastic toolbox thing that we keep in the cache mobile. On longer hikes, we have a couple insulated backpacks that we carry drinks & stuff. Nothing fancy....buy 'em at your local department store.

Our hikes aren't longer than 6 hours or so, so we can always refill the drinks mid day. Afterall, the hydration is most important. Everything else is just typical caching gear.

We actually own a couple camelbak systems for when we play airsoft, but we'd rather carry drinks in bottles.

Edited by Lieblweb

I more or less commandeered a bag that used to be my hubby's, but has been lying dormant around the house for several years-- a small carry-all shoulder bag from Mountain Equipment Co-op. It's reasonably rugged, has a satisfying number of compartments, and has a long enough strap that I can wear it cross-body. It also has the advantage of not looking too conspicuous when I'm doing urban caching. B)

I was using a backpack that I carry my laptop in when I am traveling. Once it started to rip from all of the brush I tend to go through I changed bags. Now I use a fanny pack that I got at Gander Mountain last Christmas for $20.00. I love it. It has plenty of pockets that are all different sizes. If I need to I can attach the suspenders, but I don't usually use them. It has really proven to be a nice pack.

After much (and I mean much) searching I switched my geocaching bag from my little tourist thing from target that you wore on a shoulder to a totally canvas back pack that I found online for super cheap. I love it. It was the best like $10 I spent in this whole experience. Nothing fancy. Really stripped down. No waist strap which is an attribute I had a great deal of difficulty finding in traditional little hiking back packs.

I just toss my stuff into the main pouch with some more fragile stuff in the other one.

I use the Maratac Bail Out Bag for my gear. It's usually something I keep in the car. When I need to walk quite a distance, depending on where I am going, I will load all of my stuff up in my Camelback Blowfish or Camelback Alpine Explorer.

Here's a video I just made of what I carry in my Maratac Bail Out Bag -

(It's my first video attempt, so please be nice.) :)

I have two caching bags that I interchange, depending on where I'm hunting. If I'm going to be near my car, I carry a Maxpedition Versipack that my friends and family call my purse. It's rugged, lightweight, has multiple compartments for storage, (even a place for my Glock), and slings cross body for easy transport. If I'm going out in the boonies, I wear my CamelBak Mule, as I am a huge fan of hydration, and wearing 3 litres of water on my back is a lot easier than carrying a canteen.

I carry a Maxpedition Versipack (medium). Plenty of room. It contains the camera, a bag of log replacements, two rechargeable Streamlights, a lensatic compass, extra AA batteries, small SWAG, extra pens, and a SIG 245 with room left over. Easy to carry, although the better half of the team calls it my purse.

Edited by teamtnt60s

Fox Tactical appears to sell to wholesalers ONLY....... I take it you purchased the bag elsewhere?

I got mine from a local Army surplus store.

I got mine from a local Army surplus store.

There was a thread a while back discussing clones of that bag being sold for cheap on ebay. I bought one and am glad I did.

Our bag has all the basics in it:

Cache repair kit

SWAG

Trackables (as appropriate)

Mini-zip locks

pens

Cliff Bars/Power Bars

Flask

Tire repair kit

Flashlights (two LED, accept no substitute)

Multi-Tool

Poncho

Sunscreen/Bug Repellent

We have really started to consider the poor choice in not having a first aid kit after our last trail excursion.

A lot of talk about what people keep in their bags, but what is your bag? What to you makes a good bag for geocaching gear?

This topic has gown from a "What IS you bag" to whats in your bag. I for one would like to see the topic get back on track and see what bags you all use not whats in it. There are many other threads that discuss what you carry in your bag.

I do all my caching trips on foot, hiking, so I use a Camelbak "Alpine Explorer". It has a 100 oz. bladder (I drink a LOT of water) and can carry a lot of other stuff comfortably.

Camelbak-Alpine-Explorer-Black-Hydr.jpg?t=1272090144

+1 on the Alpine Explorer. Although, mine is about 3 years old. I'm not sure that I would buy the new model. The waist belt on the new one isn't as good as on the older model. I also like the 3 liter hydration bladder in it. With the bladder full of ice water the large pouch next to it gets a cooling effect and helps to keep sandwiches fresh.

A lot of talk about what people keep in their bags, but what is your bag? What to you makes a good bag for geocaching gear?

This topic has gown from a "What IS you bag" to whats in your bag. I for one would like to see the topic get back on track and see what bags you all use not whats in it. There are many other threads that discuss what you carry in your bag.

thank you

I use a CamelBak Day Star that is designed for women and love it; I've had it for several years now. It has a 2L water bladder in it. What I love about it is that it also doubles as my quick response bag for Search & Rescue since the basic elements stay the same. I can convert it from one use to another in less than 2 minutes.

I'm looking at all these replies & laughing. Ya'lls are all nice. Our cache bag is an old "JEEP" diaper bag that is too small to contain all of my daughter's stuff anymore. As a nice top off, we had a situation where chiggers got into it, & I washed it & accidentally dried it. So not only is it an old diaper bag, it's also all permanently wrinkly & warped! Ha ha

It works, though, and I'm not spending an arm & a leg for something that looks better. We have backpacks for longer hikes, but we don't often get to go on longer hikes. Our daughter is not yet a year old, & I am rarely, if ever, without her.

That being said, I now use a backpack for her diaper bag. Backwards, no? Ha

I carry the Condor molle pal side kick. I just throw it in whatever purse I have that day and keep it in my car the rest of the time. It contains my basics.

The reason I use this is because what usually happens is that I end up carrying just my pen and phone in my hand and leave everything behind on accident while searching, so I needed something much MUCH smaller, lighter, and less packed. I switched to the molle pal because it is basically a tactical fanny pack that hooks to belts or can simply slip onto my forearm, and... it looks cool.

I tried a fanny pack, but it was too jumbled, and I always forgot to grab it. 

For full geocaching days I throw it in a t-shirt fabric drawstring bag which I prefer because it is stretchy, stays in place when crawling, climbing, bending, etc, and most importantly, collapses to the size of a fist when not in use. That contains a lot of random gear for long days.

032FE72D-D114-4B91-AEEF-3837B1585D88.jpeg

2BBC1BDE-E6FB-4160-957C-45FCEEC5989E.jpeg

Edited by spaztastik
Back on topic :)

My geocaching bag is separate from my day pack, and if it is going to be a long hike, I will just put a few of these things in the day pack. The geo bag is an ex-East German Army shoulder bag with a rubber lining, "Cold War surplus" from the 1990s

Beside it are some tools: a cheap battery tester, flashlight, spoon (for scraping and probing), tweezers, magnifying glass, pens and pencil, disposable lighter (because you always have a way to make fire, right?)

Front left: spare logs sheets in small sizes, spare 35 mm canisters and bison tubes for repair (NOT throwdowns) or for making my own cache, and a camo-taped small bottle, likewise.

Front center: Garmin GPSr and spare batteries. I use an iPhone with Cachly sometimes too.

Front right: swag of various sorts. I like to put small things into plastic bags because I think that makes them seem "cleaner" and more likely to be taken home.

geoachingbag.jpg

2 hours ago, K13 said:

In answer to the OP, my 'geocaching bag' is the pockets on my clothes. They easily hold the pen & pencil and my Leatherman tool that are the only things I always take with me when caching.

Me, too, except I stopped carrying a leatherman because I was afraid I'd lose it at the airport by forgetting to take it out of my pocket for the trip. I do carry tweezers and a small telescoping probe. Technically I have a bag, but it's just for special occasions like night caching and complicated benchmark searches.

I suspect that bags are much rarer these days than they were in 2011 when this thread was started. Back in 2011, I'd sometimes grab a bag for longer excursions, but after a year or so I realized I never used it.

• Upvote 2