How Many Geocachers

"There are 1,429,634 active geocaches and over 5 million geocachers worldwide."

Interesting... there are fewer than 5,000,000 accounts on geocaching.com and I'm sure that a ton of those are dormant and haven't been used in years. Five million seems pretty aggressive.

I guess if you include each member of a team caching under one username, that helps.

"There are 1,429,634 active geocaches and over 5 million geocachers worldwide."

Interesting... there are fewer than 5,000,000 accounts on geocaching.com and I'm sure that a ton of those are dormant and haven't been used in years. Five million seems pretty aggressive.

I guess if you include each member of a team caching under one username, that helps.

I suppose they might possibly have some data suggesting how many users are associated with the average team account.

Looks like they are a little over 4.5 million accounts. So I'd say it's highly aggressive. :D And anyone who has read my posts over they years knows that I'm now going to say there is credible, yet unscientific data which suggest almost 50% of those accounts are 0 find 0 hide one day sign-ups, who are never going to participate. Just people signing up for something on the internet, and taking up a username (if they answer the validation email).

More than enough to screw in a lightbulb.

That was exactly what I thought of when I saw the thread topic :)

Anyway, Groundspeak shows 4676580 accounts as I'm typing this.

I'd say there are less than 250,000 active geocachers (someone who found a cache in the last 30 days). I obtained it using the scientific method known as "pulling a number out of my... erm, donkey".

Using an even less scientific donkey method, go over to CacherStats.com and make some guesses.

I'd agree on fewer than 250,000 active cachers worldwide. CS.com lists about half that many, folks who have over 200 finds. There are probably several times more who have found fewer, but it's anyone's guess how many of those are working their way up -- or have dropped out.

Edited by Portland Cyclist

Per the previous posts, I think we need some clear definition of the term 'Geocacher'.

Someone who signed up for an account?

Someone who signed up for an account and recorded a find on at least one cache?

Someone who signed up for an account and has logged into the site in the last 30 days?

Too many variables.

Per the previous posts, I think we need some clear definition of the term 'Geocacher'.

Someone who signed up for an account?

Someone who signed up for an account and recorded a find on at least one cache?

Someone who signed up for an account and has logged into the site in the last 30 days?

Too many variables.

Well said AZ.