Geobeagle is lost.

I am going on my first hunt tomorrow, and rather than spend hundreds of dollars on a gps, or even the ten bucks for the geocache app, I downloaded GeoBeagle, and it functions well with one exception. It thinks I live down the street. I mean waaaaaaaaaaay down the street. Google maps puts it at just over 1.4 miles. kinda hard to start out on a hunt with a varience of over a mile. In the upper left corner of the screen today it said .2 miles to go (when I used a local address to test with) and below that it read +/- 1.9 miles. Um...yeah. a 2 mile circle is gonna make finding the cache a little tough. Anyone know how to fix this? When I hit bring up the menu and hit settings, there's no "put in your location here" button, and when I hit "maps" there is a large circle on the map that is well off center from my location... Please help. How do I teach geobeagle where I am????????

The large circle is the area error radius from your phone. it thinks you are at the center of that circle. If it is that large then you might not have a real GPS phone but be depending on triangulation from the towers. Try leaving it outside for awhile with geobeagle running and see what happens. You can't teach it where you are. That comes from the signals and its own calculation.

In the upper left corner of the screen today it said .2 miles to go (when I used a local address to test with) and below that it read +/- 1.9 miles. Um...yeah. a 2 mile circle is gonna make finding the cache a little tough. Anyone know how to fix this?

It would help us if you let us know what phone model (and Android version?) you are using.

By your description, it sounds like one of the following is happening:

1. Your GPS is turned off.
  2. You don't have a GPS fix.

For #1, check your Android settings.

For #2, make sure you are outside with a clear view of the sky and give your phone some time to get a fix.

A utility program such as "GPS Status & Toolbox" could be useful too.

Cheers.

I got it. Google was the issue, not geobeagle. Geobeagle apparently uses google maps for the original starting location. Google maps was out of whack and required a good swift kick. I turned on all locating sources (gps and wifi) at googles suggestion, restarted the phone, fired up geobeagle, and whammo! fixed.

Thanks all for the help!

Geobeagle apparently uses google maps for the original starting location. Google maps was out of whack and required a good swift kick. I turned on all locating sources (gps and wifi) at googles suggestion, restarted the phone, fired up geobeagle, and whammo! fixed.

No, Geobeagle does not use Google Maps for the starting location. Geobeagle uses the GPS and other location sources to determine this. Google Maps just convinced you to do the right thing: turn on the GPS to get a much more accurate location. :)

Glad you got your problem solved. Have fun caching!

Cheers.