Locationless Caches

TEAM 360

quote:
Originally posted by Gert:

Yep. And the map server ...

oh, don't start this again... map server is a convenience factor, it may as well stay down for a whoile year and this won't stop people from doing things. It is a completely different situation with locationless caches. Any activity *has been* stopped.

quote:
Originally posted by MOCKBA:

oh, don't start this again... map server is a convenience factor, it may as well stay down for a whoile year and this won't stop people from doing things. It is a completely different situation with locationless caches. Any activity *has been* stopped.

Well, you could always go to that OHER geocaching site that starts with NAVI and rymes with "trash" and post your locationless caches there. Oh wait, no you can't. Last time I looked, they didn't allow ANY locationless/scavenger hunt caches. I suggest you go make them change that rule for you.

"(Mopar is) good to have around and kick. Like an ugly puppy" - Jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

quote:

Well, you could always go to that OHER geocaching site that starts with NAVI and rymes with "trash" and post your locationless caches there.

You probably should stick this attitude right onto your bumper: "This is gc.com, love it or leave it". But this forum was created for a completely different attitude: "Love it, thumbs up, can it be perfected?". And I think that we all appreciate this community-enterprise aura of geocaching.com. Some think it's true and some think it's a misperception, but it explains a lot about gc.com appeal. No overzealous gc.patriots really needed here, Mopar.

OT but gc.patriots... I like that icon_smile.gif

Back on topic (which, btw, also abbreviates to "OT"...) locationless stuff will come back, we just need patience.

The map server I don't know anything about and have honestly never used. If you need/want maps that badly, I would seriously suggest buying Microsoft Streets and Trips. You can run your GPX files through GPS Babel and get S&T pushpin imports. It's definitely the way to go for mapping IMHO.

Or better yet... buy Mapopolis.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

[This message was edited by trippy1976 on September 05, 2003 at 01:25 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by trippy1976:

Or better yet... buy Mapopolis.

Not to hijack the thread, but can you tell us more about Mapopolis? I own Streets & Trips (which I like quite a lot), as well as LOTS of other map packages (DeLorme Topo, National Geo Topo!, and ExpertGPS to name the ones I use most -- ok, I have a thing for maps, I admit it icon_rolleyes.gif)

What do you like about Mapopolis over S&T?

-BB

quote:

You probably should stick this attitude right onto your bumper: "This is gc.com, love it or leave it". But this forum was created for a completely different attitude: "Love it, thumbs up, can it be perfected?". And I think that we all appreciate this community-enterprise aura of geocaching.com. Some think it's true and some think it's a misperception, but it explains a lot about gc.com appeal. No overzealous gc.patriots really needed here, Mopar.

I already have a GPS bumper sticker, a www.geocaching.com static cling at the top of the back window, and a 6inch color GC.com logo static cling in the corner or the window. Don't think I have enough room on my car, so I'll do the next best thing. icon_biggrin.gif

Just admit it. You posted wrong information. Locationless have not been totally removed, they just arent accepting any NEW ones until they can rework the website to suite them better. Come on, ya gotta see that the current setup was not meant to handle them. The submission form is full of questions that are not required for a locationless, and there is no easy way to check if a locationless with 100's of logs on it has already had a log for the site you want to log.

"(Mopar is) good to have around and kick. Like an ugly puppy" - Jeremy

quote:

... and there is no easy way to check if a locationless with 100's of logs on it has already had a log for the site you want to log.

I just use good ol' Control F for this. Do we need something fancier??

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BeachBuddies:

Not to hijack the thread, but can you tell us more about Mapopolis? I own Streets & Trips (which I like quite a lot), as well as LOTS of other map packages (DeLorme Topo, National Geo Topo!, and ExpertGPS to name the ones I use most -- ok, I have a thing for maps, I admit it

So which one of all of those is the best to use, which is the easiest?

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

quote:

there is no easy way to check if a locationless with 100's of logs on it has already had a log for the site you want to log.

Take a look at this thread. This discusses a little tool I created to generate a loc-file for all logs in a locationless cachepage. Feed this loc-file to your favorite mapping program (e.g. CacheMaps :-) and it will show you all spots already logged.

BigBird icon_smile.gif

CMLogo_Transparent_Dark_Medium.gif