Apps – which one? Newbie wants to know!

theroycegroup7

Last summer we were introduced to Geocaching with our kids and loved it!

We looking to do more geocaching this summer – and in knowing this I just purchased an android phone.

I am looking for advice on what apps you would recommend for an android phone?

Ideally we would like a FREE app that would work well…. OR…. If there any tips on how to not spend a lot of $$$... as we will only be able to do this over the summer.. so what advice do you guys have :-)

i like geo beagle best. it works best with gpx files though. in order to get the gpx files from geocaching.com you will need to be a premium member. so for $30/yr + the free app you will be set.

geo beagle can also search for caches near you if you have a data connection so you can do caching almost any where any time. the way its integrated with google maps makes it work very well and very easy to use. i have found 2000+ in a little over a year.

i like geo beagle best. it works best with gpx files though. in order to get the gpx files from geocaching.com you will need to be a premium member. so for $30/yr + the free app you will be set.

geo beagle can also search for caches near you if you have a data connection so you can do caching almost any where any time. the way its integrated with google maps makes it work very well and very easy to use. i have found 2000+ in a little over a year.

So if we upgrade to premium ($10/3mo) we will be sent a link for a free app?

Good to know... Any other suggestions?

A dedicated GPSr, such as a Garmin eTrex Venture HC could be had for less than $70 - 90. It doesn't need an app, nor does it have a subscriber fee or renewal period.

But then, you already purchased a android for geocaching........

You asked for tips, but I see I'm a little late. :blink:

Whatever the case, welcome to geocaching, and let the adventures begin! :)

So if we upgrade to premium ($10/3mo) we will be sent a link for a free app?

Good to know... Any other suggestions?

Groundspeak will not send you a link but you should find that app in the marketplace. Groundspeak probably would like you to purchase their app along with premium membership.

Ideally we would like a FREE app that would work well…. OR…. If there any tips on how to not spend a lot of $$$... as we will only be able to do this over the summer..

OK, I gotta ask the obvious question here....why will you only be able to do it over the summer? Why not all the time? Just curious...