Android help required

Hi All

At long last i have been able to take the plunge and get a new phone, a LG Optimus running Android.

I have an Oregon 300 which is great, but this new addition will hopefully help on holidays and on the fly caching expeditions.

It has a built in GPS.

So the question is...

What do i need in the way of apps, preferably free (times are hard)to help with caching.

which to display Memory maps

which to hold and show GPX pocket queries

and which to do the paperless bit off line.

All help will be much appreciated.

And as for the Android section of the forums what is that all about! there is nowhere to ask a question, so i thought the UK bit is best as i am here.

Hi All

At long last i have been able to take the plunge and get a new phone, a LG Optimus running Android.

I have an Oregon 300 which is great, but this new addition will hopefully help on holidays and on the fly caching expeditions.

It has a built in GPS.

So the question is...

What do i need in the way of apps, preferably free (times are hard)to help with caching.

And as for the Android section of the forums what is that all about! there is nowhere to ask a question, so i thought the UK bit is best as i am here.

mmtracker for memory map - theres a free trail version and a paid version for more features

which to hold and show GPX pocket queries and which to do the paperless bit off line.- thats the same question- geobeagle is free and does not break terms and conditions unlike some that will get mentioned in this thread

geocache caclculator will help with puzzles and with working out multis

geocache caclculator will help with puzzles and with working out multis

I have heard this app mentioned quite a few times so thought I'd download it to see what it's all about. I have no idea where to start with it though and can't find any kind of 'user guide'. Does anybody have any advice on using the app or know where I might find a guide?

H,

Hi All

It has a built in GPS.

So the question is...

I use the following:

1. GDAK (for accessing my GSAK databases on my Android Phone). FREE

2. LocusPro (for online/offline maps and handling GPX files for caching, navigating to cache, reading logs, etc). Around £4 to purchase the Pro version, the non-Pro version is FREE but limited. It can do Field Notes.

3. Geocaching App from GC.COM. I use this least, but it can be handy if all else fails. I find it very buggy. It can do Field Notes.

4. CacheMate. I have used this in the past, but now tend to use GDAK as I find it more useful and I don't have to convert the database files at all. CacheMate is around £4 to buy.

I've also used GeoBeagle and GeoHunter (a GeoBeagle fork), both were FREE and pretty good. I also use WhereYouGo for Where-I-Go cartridges as a backup to my Oregon 200. I still use my Oregon 200 as my main caching tool, however my Android Phone is a Motorola Defy and it is pretty rugged and about as water-resistant as my Oregon and I have 3 batteries for it.

Regards,

Martin

I can recommend GDAK (free). It can hold a complete copy of my GSAK databases, including all images, logs, and even the spoilers.

As for navigating to the cache, use a real GPS since you already have one. Smartphones (except Motorola Defy) are to fragile.