Ammo Cans

I keep reading that ammo cans are dead cheap etc with figures of £4 etc

Where can I get them at that price? On ebay they are double that plus postage :(

The fact that you call it an Ammo 'Can' and suggest a £4 price, leads me to believe you have been reading posts from our US cousins.

Average price for an Ammo 'Box' is indeed £8 from Ebay. At least, thats what I pay for mine.

Where can I get them at that price? On ebay they are double that plus postage :(

The fact that you call it an Ammo 'Can' and suggest a £4 price, leads me to believe you have been reading posts from our US cousins.

Average price for an Ammo 'Box' is indeed £8 from Ebay. At least, thats what I pay for mine.

I saw a thread in this section, also the £ sign suggests it wasn't the US members lol :P

I saw a thread in this section, also the £ sign suggests it wasn't the US members lol :P

I've bought ammo "cans" at £4 locally in the last few months... And they're cans as they're American. Munitions Boxes are generally a little dearer... Guess the us army get through more of them!

25 quid for four here.

That's the cheapest I can find online too. Place I got mine from is very hit and miss... Will have a look... If I can get some at the same price I'll buy a load and pass them on.

Saw a box for £25 quid... Metal clad army medical box... Just looking for somewhere to hide something that's roughly 12x13x15 inches! Gonna take a strong magnet to attach it to a post box too!

25 quid for four here.

That's about 4,00000000000 times more expensive than a watertight 35mm film container. And if mine get's muggled I can replace for less than next to nothing.

35mm canisters are becoming collectors items... one day it'll be cheaper to hide a brand new car in the woods :D

I've yet to find a watertight 35mm canister. Not something they were designed for... and the ones in the field that I've seen certainly ain't.

I do have an ammo can that's been in the field for 8 years... not even a little damp. Got reports of corrosion, so went to check it... looks exactly how it did when placed... the slight corrosion was caused by years in a garage before it found a purpose!

Edited by NattyBooshka

25 quid for four here.

That's about 4,00000000000 times more expensive than a watertight 35mm film container. And if mine get's muggled I can replace for less than next to nothing.

since when have film cannisters been watertight

Some digital film canisters, ie SD card holders and the likes, are very much waterproof... not much room for a paper log, but maybe leave the card in so people can electronically leave a blank log on it!

25 quid for four here.

Some digital film canisters, ie SD card holders and the likes, are very much waterproof... not much room for a paper log, but maybe leave the card in so people can electronically leave a blank log on it!

Sorry I can't beleive that someone wanting an Ammo Box is been pointed in the direction of a film can or similar. I have not found any to be waterproof even the ones with small rubber seals but I have yet to find a wet ammo box.

I've bought ammo "cans" at £4 locally in the last few months... And they're cans as they're American. Munitions Boxes are generally a little dearer... Guess the us army get through more of them!

I'm in the U.S. A year ago I bought 10 for $6 USD each. Since then they have gone up to $8

I figured what with a war going on and all there ought to be a couple mountains of them piled up someplace where they could be hauled off for the asking. So I checked into it. What I found was that there are merchants in Iraq and Afghanistan who have salvage rights. Looks like they are being turned into recycled steel. If they only knew, they could be selling them on eBay and making bank on it!

25 quid for four here.

Sorry I can't beleive that someone wanting an Ammo Box is been pointed in the direction of a film can or similar. I have not found any to be waterproof even the ones with small rubber seals but I have yet to find a wet ammo box.

Sorry Yorkie - Chili-K has got the hang of the sarcasm warning button yet :lol::anitongue:

25 quid for four here.

Sorry Yorkie - Chili-K has got the hang of the sarcasm warning button yet :lol::anitongue:

Yes, Chili-K, better known to people here as currykev until the change in the user name, has a habit of being a disruptor. Please drop the off-topic discussion that he has decided to interject in to the topic and please just get back to the question from the original poster if people would do that. Perhaps if he would stick to the topic at hand, he would not have to see the moderators step in to some topics. I wish I never had to post as a moderator, but once again I sigh and do just that.

Please carry on with the original question.

I'm in the U.S. A year ago I bought 10 for $6 USD each. Since then they have gone up to $8

I figured what with a war going on and all there ought to be a couple mountains of them piled up someplace where they could be hauled off for the asking. So I checked into it. What I found was that there are merchants in Iraq and Afghanistan who have salvage rights. Looks like they are being turned into recycled steel. If they only knew, they could be selling them on eBay and making bank on it!

A problem is just an opportunity seen from the wrong end. Do you have contact details for these merchants?

I wonder what the powers that be would make of ammo cans shipped from these two countries to the uk? Should be a way of doing it, but might make someone in customs require a change of underwear! Bet they've hit on pure gold, and are recycling one ammo can into a hundred magnetic nanos... That's where the money would be :D

Back to the original question, I've also found them quite cheaply in local "army surplus" shops (the ones stocking camo clothes, tents, knives etc for would'be squaddies.

Chris

Fleabay is never cheap. Local army surplus don't know what they have here... How many more people use these things? It's us and the letterboxers!

Back to the original question, I've also found them quite cheaply in local "army surplus" shops (the ones stocking camo clothes, tents, knives etc for would'be squaddies.

Chris

Fleabay is never cheap. Local army surplus don't know what they have here... How many more people use these things? It's us and the letterboxers!

I was using ammo boxs for years before i started caching. They have been great for holding emergency supplies in case of a disaster. As a teen i used them to carry around my cassette tapes. We made them into first aid kits for boy scouts. I've seen people turn them into portable wood burning heaters and stoves.

More ammo cans than you can shake a stick at. If you can get a syndicate together to buy in bulk they will be even cheaper. I vaguely remember The Hornet buying a job lot years ago and distributing them amongst the needy.

Yup!! 2003 it was and I got hold of two pallet loads from a place in Nottingham. I flogged them off for 50p each. I still have a couple in my garage and one in my hedge which was a Geocache and is now an O***cache ;)

Rimg0012.jpg

Rimg0011.jpg

Rimg0010.jpg

And if anyone wants a trip down memory lane to the Xmas meet in 2003 you can see the full set of pics here.

Edited by The Hornet

Yes, Chili-K, better known to people here as currykev until the change in the user name, has a habit of being a disruptor. Please drop the off-topic discussion that he has decided to interject in to the topic and please just get back to the question from the original poster if people would do that. Perhaps if he would stick to the topic at hand, he would not have to see the moderators step in to some topics. I wish I never had to post as a moderator, but once again I sigh and do just that.

Please carry on with the original question.

I assumed we were all enjoying a bit of good old British banter - i would have thought there was no need for a sigh or any moderation..Take a chill pill and have a great day - we were doing just fine :lol:

Edited by The_Street_Searchers

Slightly aside, anyone know where to get hold of bottle pre-forms? They seem to have disappeared from everywhere I've looked. They work very well in the wild as they are designed for liquids.

Found THESEon EBay.

Can't believe that there are people actually selling micros on there as 'Waterproof'

Sorry for the small hi-jack

Ammo boxes @

£4.99 + £4.50 p&p HERE

Even tried a couple of contacts I had in the ACF and TA but they now have to hand their empty boxes back in whereas in my days we just kept them and disposed of them.

Edited by DrDick&Vick