what is the difference between field notes and log?

ferjea

Does it really matter?

When you find a cache and write your name in the log you have logged your cache. When you go online to log your find you have logged your find. Any notes you make about the cache could be considered your field note. Many people will write "field notes" either in there GPSr (for those units that support it) on in a note book so they will remember what they want to log when they log the find online.

The purpose of field notes is to allow you to record your find on your unit while you are out in the field, but wait until later to actually record your finds on the cache online. For instance, I have a PN-40, and I can mark a cache as "found" on my unit (or DNF, whatever is appropriate.) When I get home, I plug it into the computer, and then upload my finds as field notes. Then I can go into each field note and add whatever I want to say for the log, and *then* post the log to the cache online. This way I don't have to hand-enter the cache ID number to log each find. I think some of the smartphone apps have this capability too. The point is, you can upload basic info to the site, but wait until you are at a computer (with a full keyboard!) to add details, pictures, etc. Smartphone apps will allow you to log your find in the field if you have a data connection, but if you don't like to type out your logs right then, field notes will allow you to wait. And if you log from the field, but edit your log later, the cache owner won't be notified that you changed your log.

Glad to help! :) Some people like to add notes to themselves in the field--like if they found a Travel Bug, or if there was something special about a cache--but save the serious typing for later. Entering text on the PN-40 is pretty tedious, so I usually just select the appropriate log type, and a personal code letter if I left a sig item. With some of the touchscreen gpsr's, it's probably a lot easier to enter text.

Groundspeak's Geocaching app can post either logs or field notes. The default is to post logs. I prefer to post field notes using brief shorthand memos to myself. Later, when I have a full keyboard, I use those field notes to write logs. (At least, that's how the Android version works; I assume the others work similarly.)

GeoBeagle and GeoHunter can use Textmarks and SMS to post field notes. They can also save field notes as files, which can then be uploaded to the geocaching.com site.

Some GPSr models can also save field notes as files, which can be uploaded to the geocaching.com site.

Another nice thing about field notes is that your logs are tagged with the time and date of the field note. If I found a cache today, but waited until tomorrow to log it, I can back date it, but not change the time. With field notes, the time and date are preserved from when I logged it on my device. Also helps me from forgetting about logging a cache if I find several in one day.