What's with..

KA&JWest

I have looked into the trackable logs of a few trackables which have passed through nearby caches, and several of them seem to have been retrieved, then the retriever takes them from place to place but never seems to drop them off for someone else to retrieve. What's up with this?

JW

Mileage. Waiting for a cache big enough. Waiting to find a safe cache to leave it in. Have plans for getting it to it's goal, but don't want it to seem inactive. Personal trackable to log caching miles. Someone asked them to. Any number of reasons.

In my case, I seldom take trackables because when I do, it may take a while before I find a place that is either big enough or I feel good enough about to leave the traveler in. But I "visit" it at every cache I go to in the interim so it can get the mileage. If I have it for very long (a couple of weeks or so) then I will drop it at one fo the caches I know about that I have been to before that I use as bug drops for just such occasions.

I have looked into the trackable logs of a few trackables which have passed through nearby caches, and several of them seem to have been retrieved, then the retriever takes them from place to place but never seems to drop them off for someone else to retrieve. What's up with this?

JW

You call them trackable (which they are) but TB stands for Travel Bugs. I am heading out on a 7 week trip and will grab a few before leaving and dip them once at each location. The owners seem to love it when their travelers get a bunch of places.

Some trackables are after mileage, so people dip them in order to increase it.

Sometimes, they do it just to remind the trackable owner that its still live and not lost.

Maybe (as said previously) the cache was simply not big enough or was too full, too mugglable or too remote for it to be a good place to drop.

JW

It's similar to when many find a Geocoin in a cache... they retrieve it... and then it goes into their collection folder to be taken from event to event for discovery... or until they tire of it and trade it to someone else to do the same... rarely if ever will it get back into circulation in a cache again... asked they will point out that it is traveling with them... Big difference is that most people (myself included) that have a TB in their possession will get it back into circulation. I have two right now, one I promised the owner (his request) that it would get to somewhere... but weather and transportation for me has been limited... the other wants to be remissioned, but no sign of the owner responding... There is a mission tag, and the mission has been met... sort of... I think it is in the wrong Country... as the MT is a bit bedraggled I may 'bend' the rule and edit a bit so it goes back and does it again in the right country... it's only a short hop away from that from here. Or I may just release it when I find a suitable sized cache. In the meanwhile, it has racked up some good places, some pics and mileage, and accompanied me on my few FTF's. I could place it badly at any time, but I'm not comfortable with doing that to someones traveller. It is why many avoid picking them up in the first place... I've sworn off Geocoins other than my personals though... I won those in contests at events.

Find one, move it, watch it immediately dissappear. Not for me! I was amazed at how many seem to be travelling in collections without hope of placement. That is a different game altogether that is under some alien set of guidelines... and not really intended to include travellers placed in the field. I sometimes wish that they did NOT get TB number ID's, it's confusing to many.

Doug 7rxc

I like to dip a bug for distance, or if its a really cool cache, but repeated dipping of bugs in numerous boring caches all very close together clogs up the logs and makes the maps ugly in my opinion. I don't want to scroll through 12 pages of some random cachers explorations of skirt lifters in a 10 mile radius of their home to see the interesting logs that came before. Just my personal pet peeve, I wish people would use the visit feature more discerningly sometimes.

Don't really know why I'm complaining since my 14 trackables are MIA. I liked my trackables to be experienced by more people and to places pertinent to their missions. Mileage to me was unimportant. The one time I had a trackable visiting and visiting and visiting, I e-mailed the person and explained my wish. It was soon dropped off. However, I do like to watch the trackables to see how they are faring.

One such that I picked up 2 months ago had FIFTEEN pages of being "taken" to various caches. Really? And I found myself annoyed because it was one that commemorates a place here in Alaska where I work in the summer. I'd e-mailed the owners when I picked it up in Arizona to see if they wanted it to stay in the lower 48 or go back to its place of origin. They preferred it to stay in the lower 48. Now I wonder if they're happy with 6 weeks and fifteen pages of being taken to various caches. Obviously, they must be happy or they would have written to the current holder.

Rant complete.

I have 3 trackables I'm taking and dropping off at a nice location in a few days. In the mean time, they're visiting all the caches I hit before the big trip. If the owners wish otherwise, all it takes is an e-mail.

The owner will not know that your do that! An e-mail is not sent on a visit.

JW

I have a TB that represents my more adventuresome alter-ego which visits nearly all caches I find. It's just for my own enjoyment and I don't expect anyone to get anything from the logs or pics.

He won't be released into the wild to disappear.

My geo-mobile is also a TB which visits all the P-n-G or almost P-n-G caches it gets near.

I have 3 trackables I'm taking and dropping off at a nice location in a few days. In the mean time, they're visiting all the caches I hit before the big trip. If the owners wish otherwise, all it takes is an e-mail.

I always thought 'visiting' a bug was an automated drop and retrieve... oh well. There is something to be said for the old method of dipping a TB/coin once in a while if you are taking one for a trip. I know I've received emails back after posting pics with visits, perhaps the owners simply have their TB/coin pages on a 'watch' list.

Doug 7rxc

I always thought 'visiting' a bug was an automated drop and retrieve... oh well. There is something to be said for the old method of dipping a TB/coin once in a while if you are taking one for a trip. I know I've received emails back after posting pics with visits, perhaps the owners simply have their TB/coin pages on a 'watch' list.

Doug 7rxc

Coins and Travel bugs were once in the same forum. Seems to me more things should have been separated.

Coins and Travel bugs were once in the same forum. Seems to me more things should have been separated.

I think that would be good, most coins want tracking numbers and ref numbers... but do they have to be TB numbers / references.

My comment was also that I thought a drop of any sort generated an email note. That was based on recollection only, not fact.

As I said, the owners may have simply been watching the TB and got a 'watch' notice.

Doug 7rxc

I think that would be good, most coins want tracking numbers and ref numbers... but do they have to be TB numbers / references.

My comment was also that I thought a drop of any sort generated an email note. That was based on recollection only, not fact.

As I said, the owners may have simply been watching the TB and got a 'watch' notice.

Doug 7rxc

Discovered, Visited, Collection Inventory were all created to support coins. Typically stemming from taking a bulk number of coins to an event. Take all those options off travel bugs and they will actually fare better. Of course I don't expect the majority to agree with that, but I was around before the Discover option and have seen the effects.

Two travel bugs that I've picked up from other caches and placed in other caches in another state are CONSTANTLY being dipped and it's actually annoying. I feel if a person is dipping a bug for mileage it should be if it's A. Their travel bug, or B. Wanting a certain amount of miles traveled. This person in particular is taking and logging this bug at caches .5, .4, .1 miles away whenever they cache. Is there a nice way of saying, hey, just let the bug go for someone else to take?