Cemetery caches

I recently tried to submit a cemetery cache that was denied becuase it was said to be inapporpriate by my local reviewer... the cache hiding location was inside the cemetery grounds, but near a flag pole in a tree and did not cause any harm to the surounding grave sites. Only one grave site was waymarked because this cache was being placed in honor of him, a civil war Medal of Honor recipiant. This particular cemetery predates the town it is in as well as is no longer looked after and cared for with exception of the city mowing the grass.

In the denial note from my reviewer, the following was said:

"In looking at your cache submission, I see that the cache location is in a cemetery. Any goecache placed within the interior of the cemetery among the stones would be distasteful and should be moved to the perimeter, maintenance area or an undeveloped area."

I do not see how the this cache is distasteful in any way. I have found a number of caches that were on the interior of the cemetery among the headstones. Now given the size of the cache, the location near the flag pole I picked is the only spot in the small cemetery that does not require you to go tramping on graves to get to it.

I would like to hear opinions on this particular scenario. Should this cache be allowed to be placed, or should I bow out and find another location to place it, if possible?

I would like to hear opinions on this particular scenario. Should this cache be allowed to be placed, or should I bow out and find another location to place it, if possible?
If it were my cache, I'd document that I had permission to hide the cache and appeal.

But I've found caches near headstones, and didn't see anything "distasteful" about it. And I don't live in a state that prohibits "games" in cemeteries.

If it were my cache, I'd document that I had permission to hide the cache and appeal.

But I've found caches near headstones, and didn't see anything "distasteful" about it. And I don't live in a state that prohibits "games" in cemeteries.

As to permission, the current residents of the cemetery have no problems with the container being there. As to a "board of trustees" or other power that over sees the cemetery, the last member died a number of years ago and this cemetery has been lost to change and the passage of time. So there is no one to directly speak with, unless verbal permission from beyond is enough. If it was not for the city cutting the grass in the "walkways" the place would look like some of the pics in previous posts of forgotten cemeteries.

I am currently researching as much info as I can on this particular cemetery to see if there is anything I can do to help and maybe bring some kind of maintance back to it. There are many toppled headstones from vandels over the years since there is no caretaker anymore. I think given its age, it should be a historic landmark.

I recently tried to submit a cemetery cache that was denied becuase it was said to be inapporpriate by my local reviewer... the cache hiding location was inside the cemetery grounds, but near a flag pole in a tree and did not cause any harm to the surounding grave sites. Only one grave site was waymarked because this cache was being placed in honor of him, a civil war Medal of Honor recipiant. This particular cemetery predates the town it is in as well as is no longer looked after and cared for with exception of the city mowing the grass.

In the denial note from my reviewer, the following was said:

"In looking at your cache submission, I see that the cache location is in a cemetery. Any goecache placed within the interior of the cemetery among the stones would be distasteful and should be moved to the perimeter, maintenance area or an undeveloped area."

I do not see how the this cache is distasteful in any way. I have found a number of caches that were on the interior of the cemetery among the headstones. Now given the size of the cache, the location near the flag pole I picked is the only spot in the small cemetery that does not require you to go tramping on graves to get to it.

If I read this correctly you were asked by the reviewer to move the cache to the perimeter of the cemetery. My local reviewer would require the same from me, they have this outlined in their reviewer profile what is acceptable with cemetery hides in their opinion, and MOST of us would agree. If you wish to highlight the Medal of Honor recipiant's headstone, why not use a ? or a multi cache type?

As to permission, the current residents of the cemetery have no problems with the container being there. As to a "board of trustees" or other power that over sees the cemetery, the last member died a number of years ago and this cemetery has been lost to change and the passage of time. So there is no one to directly speak with, unless verbal permission from beyond is enough. If it was not for the city cutting the grass in the "walkways" the place would look like some of the pics in previous posts of forgotten cemeteries.

I am currently researching as much info as I can on this particular cemetery to see if there is anything I can do to help and maybe bring some kind of maintance back to it. There are many toppled headstones from vandels over the years since there is no caretaker anymore. I think given its age, it should be a historic landmark.

Coming to the forums and asking an opinion about a cemetery cache is probably not going to help you very much. Every state/city/reviewer is going to have different guidelines, rules and thoughts about cemetery caches.

If I was reviewing your cemetery cache, seeing the maps, hearing your description, knowing it doesn't have a caretaker anymore - I would probably publish it. But we're fairly relaxed about cemeteries in my area. I don't require caches to be on the edges of the cemetery, only that they are away from gravestones.

But as I said, every state is different. Either move the cache to the edge like the reviewer requested, or you can take everything to appeals. If you send it to appeals, you might want to include pictures, distance from nearest gravesite, and the info about the lack of caretaker for the cemetery.