Placing my first Cache soon - advice

AbbieK

I've got permission to place two caches in a local woodland! There aren't any caches in the woodland yet.

I don't have the two sites decided yet, so just want some tips on choosing the sites.

The woodlands were championed by a local man who campaigned for disabled access, so the site has beautiful wheelchair suitable paths and frequent benches. I'd like to make one cache very accessible - I'm thinking waist height, not far off the path. Is this a good idea?

For the other one, I'm thinking usual hiding hole in a tree, further off the path, with the aim of a more hidden hide.

Does that sound okay, or should I be aiming for something else?

I'm in the UK if that is relevant :-)

I'd like to make one cache very accessible - I'm thinking waist height, not far off the path. Is this a good idea?

Yes!

May be worth a look at http://www.handicaching.com/ and maybe giving your cache a rating, and put the rating on the cache page.

I also like the idea -- I made one specifically to be wheelchair accessible. It can be quite a challenge to place a container that's easy to get to, without it being high-maintenance (due to being vandalized/stolen all the time), while designed so that cachers can pick it up & put it back unnoticed. But it's an interesting challenge.

Here's a hint that a lot of people just don't seem to think of....

Place a cache to take a person to somewhere/something that they otherwise would have never seen. Don't place a cache just because it doesn't have a cache there. That was the initial premise behind geocaching. Somehow it seems to have been lost.

Here's a hint that a lot of people just don't seem to think of....

Place a cache to take a person to somewhere/something that they otherwise would have never seen. Don't place a cache just because it doesn't have a cache there. That was the initial premise behind geocaching. Somehow it seems to have been lost.

I'm hoping a few people will discover the woodland thanks to the Cache. It was only opened a few years ago, and isn't well signposted or advertised, so is like a hidden gem! It is very beautiful, especially with the brilliant pathways and benchs, so an ideal site. Luckily, the site manager has heard of geocaching so was very helpful.

I couldn't agree more with all the other comments. The location sounds perfect! As a cache owner, there's nothing more gratifying than to read great logs often accompanied by terrific photos of happy geocachers. I'm happiest with caches that will appeal to all ages and that are considerate of those with disabilities. Now, go out there and hide 'em!

I've got permission to place two caches in a local woodland! There aren't any caches in the woodland yet.

I don't have the two sites decided yet, so just want some tips on choosing the sites.

The woodlands were championed by a local man who campaigned for disabled access, so the site has beautiful wheelchair suitable paths and frequent benches. I'd like to make one cache very accessible - I'm thinking waist height, not far off the path. Is this a good idea?

For the other one, I'm thinking usual hiding hole in a tree, further off the path, with the aim of a more hidden hide.

Does that sound okay, or should I be aiming for something else?

I'm in the UK if that is relevant :-)

Excellent suggestions by all. The wheelchair accessible casche is a good idea. When placing your cache keep in mind that you will have a wide range of cachers visiting your cache. some will be new to caching others my have been caching for years. Try to hide you caches so they are fun for all. Keep them interesting and not ordinary. Take a look at this pic. Face in the Woods This was the second of a three stage multi cache. The clue was "Its staring you right in the face". Of course the way point was under the nose which was attached to the tree with a wire loop on a nail. Caches which are placed with a little thought and creativity are always the best. Good luck.