Schools info and Llandudno help

Hi, we are wondering if there are any primary schools out there who have ran an after school geocaching club? We are lucky to have half the staff addicted to geocaching, a growing number of families involved and a massively rich geocache area. Would be useful to get a few hints from others working in schools. Also our year 2 are off to Llandudno for a day trip, they would like to hunt for some caches around the great orme or pier areas. I can see there are alot of them in the area but would like recommendations of ones which are safe to look for with large groups of children - i.e little cliff top paths = not a good idea! Preferably sandwich box sized so they can hand it around. Thanks for your time. :laughing:

I'd be concerned about taking kids to other people's caches...... Word spreads quickly and it only needs someone to tell the wrong person and that's a cache gone.

We cache with schools scouts etc but have dedicated temp caches that are placed specifically for the sessions that way we aren't putting anyone else's caches in danger.

Having said that if you are a cache owner and you are happy for them to find your caches go for it.

How many GPS 's will you have access to and are they all the same very hard to teach caching to big groups with different GPS's and ki ds get bored quickly if they have to work in big groups.

Edited by SXParx

Good point. not thought of that. Exactly the sort of pointer I need. I own 4 caches within walking distance of the school and a load of others owned by school families so I guess I could ask them if they want groups looking for them or not. (Think it would probably be their children in the club!) Good idea to keep away from ones we don't know about. Thanks.

I have done geocaching with my class of Year 6 since 2005 and even though I have retired I still go in and work with them. This work was extremely well received during an inspection and through the BECTA award.

Last year I took my class to a nature reserve where we have 11 caches and they were able to find 7 of them - they were our caches and also 5 miles away from school so no problems. If you want copies of my worksheets and the planning although that is out of date now as it will need changing to involve the key Skills but you are more than welcome to copies of them.

The children loved it and it is also outdoor activities within the PE. :D so well worth pursuing.

We set off 4 TBs and tracked them and I also put out 4 caches around the school for them to find using yellow etrexes.

Don't know about the subject... But yes, get them outside and away from TV and games consoles!

Temp caches maybe the best... Maybe a multi testing maths skills along the way, or linked to projects (if that's still a good way of learning). Trick the little ones into learning that's what I think. Maybe CITO their local park and then "golden time" in the play area?

Maybe the game can be pushed upwards to LEA level and thus into more county councils too... Show them how good this game can be for the community.

Essex Country parks offer geocaching to schools at the 9 country parks in Essex. Kids and teachers who try it all love it.

Had a HLF grant to purchase 40 GPS to use for the school sessions and to hire out to scout/youth groups,general public.

Hi, we are wondering if there are any primary schools out there who have ran an after school geocaching club? We are lucky to have half the staff addicted to geocaching, a growing number of families involved and a massively rich geocache area. Would be useful to get a few hints from others working in schools. Also our year 2 are off to Llandudno for a day trip, they would like to hunt for some caches around the great orme or pier areas. I can see there are alot of them in the area but would like recommendations of ones which are safe to look for with large groups of children - i.e little cliff top paths = not a good idea! Preferably sandwich box sized so they can hand it around. Thanks for your time. :laughing:

I live 5 miles from Llandudno and have loads of caches along the prom but they are only micro's I'm afraid..... but nice and easy to find.

There are some nice big caches up on the Great & little Orme though .. (A couple of them mine).. and all well worth a visit.