Following The Arrow

Hope this is not considered spam, the moderators are free to delete or let me know if so. But just wanted to let everyone know about a new online caching magazine I've created called Following The Arrow. The first (quarterly) issue is really small...just gauging and generating interest. I hope that it will be appealing to a lot of you and generate some new interest in the game from others. What I'm shooting for is an edgier, more informal content. Very very little "how to" or news and way more "what for" and "why". A place to showcase more artistic photography and even artwork related to the game or inspired by the game/obsession. I want to shine the headlamp into the darker corners of Geocaching - essays about unique or challenging caches. Extreme caching. Maybe even about breaking the rules (or at least pushing them to the edge). The e-zine platform gives a lot of flexibility and ease for this type of thing.

So anyhow, check it out and let your friends know.

Following The Arrow

I just finished reading your e-zine and thought it was great. The content was great. I especially enjoyed the video. It look like a very polished product. All in all well worth the time to read it. How often do you plan on releasing new issues?

Great work keep it up!

+1

Love the photo essays. Nice work!

Gee............ and here I thought you must have made a thread about my neighbor bobolu. He follows the arrow. Over the cliff, through the blackberries, through the poison oak, straight up the hill, through the star thistle.................. he follows the arrow. I coined a phrase that's used locally --- boboluing. It means to follow the arrow even though there's likely a MUCH easier way to get to the cache.

:)

Uhoh. Doesn't work w/o flash? That sucks for the mobile users. I guess I'll have to look at it later. That is, if I remember later. Too bad I can't just look now w/o flash.

Yep. That was a sacrifice I had to make in order to shape it using the format I did. It is worth that. Mobile phones will eventually catch up to the fluidity within our flash based brains, just give them time. Static sites will be artifacts some day. :anitongue:

Edited by WVangler

Uhoh. Doesn't work w/o flash? That sucks for the mobile users. I guess I'll have to look at it later. That is, if I remember later. Too bad I can't just look now w/o flash.

Yep. That was a sacrifice I had to make in order to shape it using the format I did. It is worth that. Mobile phones will eventually catch up to the fluidity within our flash based brains, just give them time. Static sites will be artifacts some day. :anitongue:

It's mostly affecting smartphones of a certain brand only anyway... It works quite well on my phone :anitongue:

Looks great!

We need more geocaching magazines. Choices are good!

Or you could send your stories to add to the 250+ already published in The Online Geocacher!

Just, you know, sayin'. :)

You've got to admit that this guy's format sure is slick, anyway. But Online Geocacher has Sioneva.

She's one of our secret weapons! She brings in both readers and contributors.

I do like the look of Following The Arrow, it's just very slow to load and page. They're putting a lot more work into making it purty than we are, we pretty much post the stories and a picture or two. I'm a huge fan, especially when doing something for free, of the KISS concept!

Anyhoo, the more the merrier, I hope they make it.

Non-flash does not mean 'static'. You could implement your entire site with dynamic HTML and CSS. More work yes, but it can be done.

I'd argue the opposite - eventually, flash will die as everything goes HTML5 and the capabilities and frameworks become available to easily match its capabilities.

Looks great!

We need more geocaching magazines. Choices are good!

Or you could send your stories to add to the 250+ already published in The Online Geocacher!

Just, you know, sayin'. :)

You've got to admit that this guy's format sure is slick, anyway. But Online Geocacher has Sioneva.

She's one of our secret weapons! She brings in both readers and contributors.

I do like the look of Following The Arrow, it's just very slow to load and page. They're putting a lot more work into making it purty than we are, we pretty much post the stories and a picture or two. I'm a huge fan, especially when doing something for free, of the KISS concept!

Anyhoo, the more the merrier, I hope they make it.

The content of Following The Arrow is intended to be different and should target a slightly different audience.

Edited by WVangler

Non-flash does not mean 'static'. You could implement your entire site with dynamic HTML and CSS. More work yes, but it can be done.

I'd argue the opposite - eventually, flash will die as everything goes HTML5 and the capabilities and frameworks become available to easily match its capabilities.

Whoa, dude, you are either being too literal or giving me too much credit. My definition of static is far more abstract than whatever web design textbooks might say. Just going with what I've got. I could do a lot of things I suppose, but I'm not an IT guy nor a detail oriented engineering type. The format as is works for me and that's good enough. I'm paid $0 for my time doing this. Just having fun.

+ another 1. I really like the easy to navigate content.

"The darker side" hmmmm....

Is this going to be a site where we can send in stories of stuff we shouldn't have done, but it turned out ok? I'll start: I like walking on and crossing railroad tracks to get to caches. I'll go out of my way to do it. OK, pretty tame, but you get the idea...

Good luck in your venture!

Gee............ and here I thought you must have made a thread about my neighbor bobolu. He follows the arrow. Over the cliff, through the blackberries, through the poison oak, straight up the hill, through the star thistle.................. he follows the arrow. I coined a phrase that's used locally --- boboluing. It means to follow the arrow even though there's likely a MUCH easier way to get to the cache.

We have a guy like that. I like to get right behind him and take the path of lesser resistance.

I know a cacher like that, who's a regular in these forums. But I won't name any names. :ph34r: