Earthmate PN-60 or GPSMAP 60CSx?

Hi, I've been caching for about 8 months, and use my Android phone with the Groundspeak app almost exclusively (except for a week in Singapore, where I used an etrex + off-line c:geo on my Android). I live in Mass., but will be spending a year in New Zealand (Yeah!). I'm looking for a GPS unit that will let me do paperless caching. I'm a proud Premium Member (best money spent!), and a Mac user. I'm looking to spend US$200-300.

Right now, EMS has the Earthmate PN-60 for US$239, and Amazon has the GPSMAP 60CSx for US$229.

Can I load the NZ maps onto each of these devices equally well? Are there other things I should know?

Thanks for your thoughts.

-8ManAfter

Edited by 8ManAfter

Not sure about NZ maps ( email conton....they are friends that live there and are active cachers )

Only the PN60 is truly paperless....the CSx can show some data ( poi's loaded with GSAK )but can never be made to upload your finds to your computer.

READ ALL YOU CAN ABOUT THESE UNITS IN THIS FORUM BEFORE DECIDING.

For paperless, the PN-60. But for every other reason, the 60csx. I had the PN-60 for less than a day and took it back. The Topo software was terrible, the screen too small, the battery compartment with the two long screws you have to screw all the way out was poorly designed, the interface cable is difficult to attach/detach. I really didn't like it at all.

Mac user outisde of N.America? Buy the Garmin.

If you were in the US and a PC user, I'd say get the DeLorme because it has better "paperless" caching features than the Garmin 60csx. But for Mac support, and for getting high quality maps for anywhere outside of N.America, Garmin is an easier and better choice.

Hi, I've been caching for about 8 months, and use my Android phone with the Groundspeak app almost exclusively (except for a week in Singapore, where I used an etrex + off-line c:geo on my Android). I live in Mass., but will be spending a year in New Zealand (Yeah!). I'm looking for a GPS unit that will let me do paperless caching. I'm a proud Premium Member (best money spent!), and a Mac user. I'm looking to spend US$200-300.

Right now, EMS has the Earthmate PN-60 for US$239, and Amazon has the GPSMAP 60CSx for US$229.

Can I load the NZ maps onto each of these devices equally well? Are there other things I should know?

Thanks for your thoughts.

-8ManAfter

For paperless caching the PN-60 wins hands down. The Garmin equivalent would be the Oregon 450, Dakota 20 or 62S. There are work arounds that let you use the 60CSx and GSAK macros to add hints and even whole cache pages (though in up to 10 poi files...very clunky!) and it's not really a paperless unit like the 62S which has the same form factor.

I don't know what DeLorme has for map coverage outside the US, but GPSFileDepot.com has topo maps for the area and DeLorme has a very dedicated (& vocal) group of users, so you should check out the DeLorme forums for more info.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the feedback on my post! Nice to have this community!

Since I'm a Mac user, GSAK is not an option (and, no, I won't install Windows on my Mac :mad:) I use GCStatistic to generate better stats, but haven't found the need to use any real GC management tool yet. I've heard GREAT things about GSAK for this.

In terms of paperless caching (is there a definition in a FAQ somewhere?), for me this means being able to read the cache page, hints, recent logs, maybe even see photos, in the field. In Singapore, there were many caches that really required you to have access to photos to solve the cache, so photos would be nice. I usually log my finds after I get back to my desk/laptop.

Seems I need to look much more carefully at how to obtain/use maps on the units. I think I'm a bit spoiled from the connected Android experience, but being out of cell range, things change a lot.

The battery-changing issue could be trouble. I'll have to get my hands on a unit to see what it's like.

Again, thanks for all the tips! I'll report back after I make a move.

Happy Caching!

-8ManAfter

The battery-changing issue could be trouble. I'll have to get my hands on a unit to see what it's like.

Happy Caching!

-8ManAfter

upgrading the PN-60 to a CabBat ($50) makes this a non issue. 17-19 hours, plus if you get back into your vehicle and plug it in, it charges while you drive to your next cache.

Thanks for all the feedback on my post! Nice to have this community!

Since I'm a Mac user, GSAK is not an option (and, no, I won't install Windows on my Mac :mad:) I use GCStatistic to generate better stats, but haven't found the need to use any real GC management tool yet. I've heard GREAT things about GSAK for this.

In terms of paperless caching (is there a definition in a FAQ somewhere?), for me this means being able to read the cache page, hints, recent logs, maybe even see photos, in the field. In Singapore, there were many caches that really required you to have access to photos to solve the cache, so photos would be nice. I usually log my finds after I get back to my desk/laptop.

Seems I need to look much more carefully at how to obtain/use maps on the units. I think I'm a bit spoiled from the connected Android experience, but being out of cell range, things change a lot.

Again, thanks for all the tips! I'll report back after I make a move.

Happy Caching!

-8ManAfter

If you find lots of caches one of the best paperless features is to be able to upload your finds and field notes to your computer for logging. This makes logging caches a snap....in a fraction of the time it used to take. Only a true paperless unit will do this.

Portland Cyclist's reply is right on the money. I love my PN-60 but can't recommend it to someone with a mac unwilling to install windows. The hardware will work fine but the topo software is not supported which takes a lot away from the value. While Delorme now offers some aerial imagery outside North America, Garmin maps are still the better way to go in that regard. I would recommend looking for a deal on a Garmin 450 as I don't think you'd be happy with the "sort of" paperless workarounds for the 60csx.

...to be able to upload your finds and field notes to your computer for logging. This makes logging caches a snap....in a fraction of the time it used to take. Only a true paperless unit will do this.

The OP already has an Android phone with a geocaching app. Downloading paperless details and logging finds to the smartphone is easier than even the best "wired" option from either Garmin or DeLorme.

Edited by Portland Cyclist