Offensive Caching nicknames

Hey, does anyone still have the greasemonkey script loaded that puts a shirt on his avatar? I remember someone bumped a thread a couple months ago that he posted to, and it still worked for me. Did not however, work when it was posted in the body of a post here.

I sure do! It's disabled since he's not posting any more (at least not where I could see it), but it's still there. Not sure if it still would work though, I think that was from pre-forum-upgrade times.

Here, try it out.

a663d30f-221f-4592-a202-f83bb5cbeb1c.jpg

Shirt or no shirt?

Hey, does anyone still have the greasemonkey script loaded that puts a shirt on his avatar? I remember someone bumped a thread a couple months ago that he posted to, and it still worked for me. Did not however, work when it was posted in the body of a post here.

I sure do! It's disabled since he's not posting any more (at least not where I could see it), but it's still there. Not sure if it still would work though, I think that was from pre-forum-upgrade times.

Here, try it out.

a663d30f-221f-4592-a202-f83bb5cbeb1c.jpg

Shirt or no shirt?

I think that just pasties would be enough.

WARNING!!! Here is the name in question. Click the link only if you're not super sensitive.

This, to me, is a name that I'd agree probably needs to be changed. Not to keep from offending someone necessarily, but once you define a site like this as "family friendly" there's reasonable lines that shouldn't be crossed.

I really don't think that seeing this name is going to hurt anyone, or scar them for life. So I linked to it with a warning so folks that were curious would know what is being discussed. But I wouldn't want to allow kids on a site that allowed a lot of similar type cacher names.

That's a hard line to define for sure, what should be allowed and what shouldn't.

I've seen alot of people spell words wrong, even on purpose. If that name is offensive then you must not get out much at all, lol. There's a great old rock tune called, "Cum on Feel the Noise" and there's also the classic, "Come on Eileen" tune too. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned them as they might go the "Money for Nothing" route and get taken off the radio now.

I get offended by stuff, lots of stuff, but do I make it my mission to let the whole world know? Nah....I just turn the channel or station or ignore it, etc.

Everyone wants their turn in the spotlight I guess.

I find it funny that some people burned some book at a protest today because the title was offensive, lol. As long as they paid for the book, I'm sure the author doesn't give a dadgum what they did with it. Probably loved the publicity too. Funny thing too, it was named after a historical document.

Wow, you sure read a lot into my post don't you?

For the record, the name didn't offend ME in the slightest. However, I can see that it probably doesn't fit in here with the "family friendly" web site that we all enjoy. Names of rock music songs that have the same word in them, on the other hand, fit in just fine with the rock music world, where things are very seldom described as "family friendly".

There's a time and place for everything, and this game isn't the place for that cacher name.

But like I said, there's a very difficult line to define there. What is acceptable and what is not? I'd think you'd even agree that there are some super offensive words that shouldn't be used. Right?

Or is there no word at all that you think shouldn't belong in a cacher's name?

Thank you for being one of the few here that realised the original idea of the forum was not about whether I was offended by the names. It was questioning if the use of inappropriate or 'offensive' caches names were appropriate in a family friendly activity.

For the record, I did not want the actual names posted, nor discussed, but oh well, one got posted, which I guess was inevitable. The one that has been posted on here one is the more borderline of the two that I questioned with Groundspeak.

Also, I thought the idea of posting topics on this forum was a way of discussing caching related matters with the greater caching community. I had no idea that posting rather anonymously, in a little known forum, within a small community, that tries to be somewhat secret about its activities, was all about attention shopping. If I knew I was trying for ‘my time in the spotlight’ I would have been more careful about my spelling!

Edited by Pathfinder24
WARNING!!! Here is the name in question. Click the link only if you're not super sensitive.

This, to me, is a name that I'd agree probably needs to be changed. Not to keep from offending someone necessarily, but once you define a site like this as "family friendly" there's reasonable lines that shouldn't be crossed.

I really don't think that seeing this name is going to hurt anyone, or scar them for life. So I linked to it with a warning so folks that were curious would know what is being discussed. But I wouldn't want to allow kids on a site that allowed a lot of similar type cacher names.

That's a hard line to define for sure, what should be allowed and what shouldn't.

I've seen alot of people spell words wrong, even on purpose. If that name is offensive then you must not get out much at all, lol. There's a great old rock tune called, "Cum on Feel the Noise" and there's also the classic, "Come on Eileen" tune too. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned them as they might go the "Money for Nothing" route and get taken off the radio now.

I get offended by stuff, lots of stuff, but do I make it my mission to let the whole world know? Nah....I just turn the channel or station or ignore it, etc.

Everyone wants their turn in the spotlight I guess.

I find it funny that some people burned some book at a protest today because the title was offensive, lol. As long as they paid for the book, I'm sure the author doesn't give a dadgum what they did with it. Probably loved the publicity too. Funny thing too, it was named after a historical document.

Wow, you sure read a lot into my post don't you?

For the record, the name didn't offend ME in the slightest. However, I can see that it probably doesn't fit in here with the "family friendly" web site that we all enjoy. Names of rock music songs that have the same word in them, on the other hand, fit in just fine with the rock music world, where things are very seldom described as "family friendly".

There's a time and place for everything, and this game isn't the place for that cacher name.

But like I said, there's a very difficult line to define there. What is acceptable and what is not? I'd think you'd even agree that there are some super offensive words that shouldn't be used. Right?

Or is there no word at all that you think shouldn't belong in a cacher's name?

Thank you for being one of the few here that realised the original idea of the forum was not about whether I was offended by the names. It was questioning if the use of inappropriate or 'offensive' caches names were appropriate in a family friendly activity.

For the record, I did not want the actual names posted, nor discussed, but oh well, one got posted, which I guess was inevitable. The one that has been posted on here one is the more borderline of the two that I questioned with Groundspeak.

Also, I thought the idea of posting topics on this forum was a way of discussing caching related matters with the greater caching community. I had no idea that posting rather anonymously, in a little known forum, within a small community, that tries to be somewhat secret about its activities, was all about attention shopping. If I knew I was trying for 'my time in the spotlight' I would have been more careful about my spelling!

Spelling mistakes don't offend me. Grammar, sometimes.

It all goes back to the concept of a 'polite society'. We may have thought those things, but if I ever said it, I'd have my mouth washed out with soap.

The modern electronic world panders to the least common denominator. (Hey! That's where the money it!)

Profanities and obscenities (and there is a difference) have no place in a polite society, much less a place claiming to be 'family friendly'.

If you wish to take your deity's name in vain, that's your problem. I do not need to hear it. Nor do I need or want to see users who think they're being 'cute and edgy' with user names referring to sexual organs. That's tacky and tasteless. And definitely not family friendly. Why anyone would choose a user name that's a euphemism for 'diarrhea' is completely beyond me. Fortunately that user is not local so I don't see it too often.

Sadly the world has changed, and polite society is dead. But pushing the limits (with the name I brought up in a different thread for example) is deliberate tackiness, and deliberately pushing the bounds. And that is something that should not be permitted is a family friendly site.