Offensive Caching nicknames

I have seen one forum topic about a group of cachers with a somewhat questionable caching name.

I noticed today a couple of very offensive cachers names, well beyond a cheeky acronym. These cachers have recently loged their first find on caches in my area. I was going to post links to their members details page, but I do not want to do that fo it just doing what I am annoyed at them doing.

Instead, I'll simpley ask for peoples opinion on their thoughts aboutthe use of swear words or crude words in one's geocaching nickname.

Anyone who really wants to see the actual names wil be able to find them easily enough.

Quick clarifycation note: neither of these cachers have logged a find on my cache. THey have logged finds on caches in the Melbourne area, I noticed them while chcking out potential caches to look for tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice to email Groundspeak, I was just looking for a conatct address.

I'll simpley ask for peoples opinion on their thoughts aboutthe use of swear words or crude words in one's geocaching nickname.

no, they shouldn't exist and i am quite shocked that GC has not created a list of non-acceptable user names, much like the words that get censored here in the forums

Edited by t4e

I'll simpley ask for peoples opinion on their thoughts aboutthe use of swear words or crude words in one's geocaching nickname.

no, they shouldn't exist and i am quite shocked that GC has not created a list of non-acceptable user names, much like the words that get censored here in the forums

As long as they don't censor offensive avatars, right? :huh:

5108d9d4-d924-4302-8938-1598885c53c9.jpg

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

you're kidding right? what exactly is offensive about it, or is it personal? :lol:

i can dig up half naked women in avatars that i have seen here, that is not offensive?

Edited by t4e

you're kidding right? what exactly is offensive about it, or is it personal? :lol:

i can dig up half naked women in avatars that i have seen here, that is not offensive?

In certain states, if someone gets seen doing that in a public, they can be labeled as a sex offender for the rest of their life.

So, yes, Im certain that someone may find it offensive. But to be fair, the discussion should be limited to this thread. :rolleyes:

This is exactly why threads about censorship open up the proverbial "can of worms". What you think isn't offensive might be offensive to others. Personally, I'm of a mind that we should minimize censorship as much as possible, and stop being offended by such trivial matters.

That's my point. What we each perceive as offensive IS personal; we all have different ideas about what is offensive. Naked women offend me not at all, but a 'Piss on Apple' avatar does. Therein lies the problem with censorship... who decides what is offensive enough to be censored?

I just think it's a bit humorous that someone with a 'Piss on Apple' avatar wants to censor usernames you don't like. B)

I find your avatar offensive on several levels. The whole "piss on the logo of a brand I don't like" is a level of crudity that is mildly offensive.

But more offensive, to me, is the blatant copyright violation. Unless, of course, you have the permission of Bill Watterson to use his intellectual property in such a way.

That's my point. What we each perceive as offensive IS personal; we all have different ideas about what is offensive. Naked women offend me not at all, but a 'Piss on Apple' avatar does. Therein lies the problem with censorship... who decides what is offensive enough to be censored?

I just think it's a bit humorous that someone with a 'Piss on Apple' avatar wants to censor usernames you don't like. B)

Nakedness is offensive? Sheesh.... to think we are born w/o clothing, too!

Yes, perception is everything. Nakedness isn't (to me, anyway) offensive. The intent or manner of use of nakedness can be.

Must agree 100% with TAR about the matter of censorship -- WHO is going to be the decision maker (another something that few can ever agree with!)?

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

... not to mention certain avatars, huh? :lol:

[edit... I should have read further before posting this.]

Edited by knowschad

where did i say I am offended?...but it is common practice on public forums and places where you need to register to have certain words omitted as usernames

lets be honest though, not many guys will find pictures of half naked women offensive :laughing:

I find your avatar offensive on several levels. The whole "piss on the logo of a brand I don't like" is a level of crudity that is mildly offensive.

But more offensive, to me, is the blatant copyright violation. Unless, of course, you have the permission of Bill Watterson to use his intellectual property in such a way.

copyright eh? thanks for the laugh :lol:

where did i say I am offended?...but it is common practice on public forums and places where you need to register to have certain words omitted as usernames

lets be honest though, not many guys will find pictures of half naked women offensive :laughing:

copyright eh? thanks for the laugh :lol:

What about gay males?

I am always amazed that people seem to think they can walk around with this bubble around them and nothing offensive can intrude into it. I haven't seen the names of the people you talk about but I suspect I would chuckle over them.

You see this when someone complains about Muslims conversing or praying on a plane and complain to the staff and the Muslims get removed. What should have happened was the people who are offended should leave not innocent people.

This is the same thing.

How many caches do they have and why has no one complained before? Or maybe they have and were told that the names were fine.

Do you really think you have a mission to make sure that everything is in accordance with your personal bubble?

Edited by Walts Hunting

Besides that, as a fan of Calvin and Hobbes, I'm offended when people portray Calvin as the type who would piss on something he doesn't like — an act utterly outside anything Calvin would do. Such people brand themselves as not only crude but ignorant of the source material.

My offense doesn't usually rise to the level where I feel I need to act upon it, but I generally do mentally file such people as ones to ignore.

Edited by Doctroid

I'm a grown-up and can pretty well determine what would be considered inappropriate for this site. I'll report it and gc.com will either agree or disagree. If they disagree I'll then have a better understanding of what they do allow.

As for - "I'm offended by people who are so easily offended." Too bad, I don't really care.

Anyone who really wants to see the actual names wil be able to find them easily enough.

I tried. I looked at a few dozen caches close to you, and never saw a cache name that seemed like someone could be offended by it. Can you be more specific?

It's not a cache name, it's a cachers name.

I looked.

Not too difficult to find who it may be.

Whilst not 'offended' -the name is a little risque, and may be pushing the boundary a little!

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I find all sorts of things offensive...but I don't feel I have a right to be protected from being offended. Such is life.

However, I do believe that family oriented activities ought to be able to remain family oriented and I also believe that certain 'things' are not appropriate for certain ages.

As for the cacher names in question, I can't comment without knowing the names. I might find some of the ones in question perfectly acceptable, in my subjective opinion.

I tried. I looked at a few dozen caches close to you, and never saw a cache name that seemed like someone could be offended by it. Can you be more specific?
It's not a cache name, it's a cachers name.

I looked.

Not too difficult to find who it may be.

Whilst not 'offended' -the name is a little risque, and may be pushing the boundary a little!

My bad, I meant to say that I'd looked at a lot of caches and didn't see any cachers names that would be offensive.

PM me what you found? I'm curious.

I find all sorts of things offensive...but I don't feel I have a right to be protected from being offended. Such is life.

However, I do believe that family oriented activities ought to be able to remain family oriented and I also believe that certain 'things' are not appropriate for certain ages.

As for the cacher names in question, I can't comment without knowing the names. I might find some of the ones in question perfectly acceptable, in my subjective opinion.

I agree with this. One thing I tell people about geocaching is how family-friendly it is. So while I doubt the name would offend me personally, if it's risque, I'd object to it on the site on that basis.

WARNING!!! Here is the name in question. Click the link only if you're not super sensitive.

This, to me, is a name that I'd agree probably needs to be changed. Not to keep from offending someone necessarily, but once you define a site like this as "family friendly" there's reasonable lines that shouldn't be crossed.

I really don't think that seeing this name is going to hurt anyone, or scar them for life. So I linked to it with a warning so folks that were curious would know what is being discussed. But I wouldn't want to allow kids on a site that allowed a lot of similar type cacher names.

That's a hard line to define for sure, what should be allowed and what shouldn't.

I am always amazed that people seem to think they can walk around with this bubble around them and nothing offensive can intrude into it. I haven't seen the names of the people you talk about but I suspect I would chuckle over them.

You see this when someone complains about Muslims conversing or praying on a plane and complain to the staff and the Muslims get removed. What should have happened was the people who are offended should leave not innocent people.

This is the same thing.

Apples and Oranges. How you can say this is the same thing is beyond any reasoning I can come up with.

In one case you have people who are trying to live their life by their own beliefs, and are not trying to offend. But people are being offended, too bad for those offended.

In the other case, you have someone who picks a name they know will offend, and such a pick is optional. The only reason they pick the name is to offend.(if you believe otherwise, I have a bridge to sell.) Even if they have the right to use the name, they generally are rude and arrogant people.

let me make it clear, in my opinion not everyone that picks an offensive name, does so to offend. However, it is clear when the names are that offensive it was picked to offend.

As long as the name isn't an incitement to violence then then anyone offended by it and publicly stating it, are offensive themselves. By the way, hate speech is not violence speech. To me the only except able violence speech is...

Infringing on First Amendment rights deserves a Second Amendment solution.

I have never understood why people have a problem with individual words. [Edited by moderator] and understand that today's offensive words where yesteryear's euphemisms. At the rate these [edited] are going nobody is going to be able to say a [edited] thing without offending someone. I know people that are offended by the use of ska and if a word considered vulgar Pols has a whole then why aren't all of these namby pamby over sensitive U.S. citizens getting offended over an entire musical genera who's name translates to [edited] PUNK. Hey lets go further back to the original use of Punk.

Now the name means [edited].

Hmmmm. I wonder what other offensive terms are floating out of the mouths of the "Offended People" that are actually more offensive than the words they are worrying about.

Nope sorry I haven't seen an offensive Caching Name yet.

Edited by Keystone
Potty language removed by moderator.

This is the same thing.

Apples and Oranges. How you can say this is the same thing is beyond any reasoning I can come up with.

In one case you have people who are trying to live their life by their own beliefs, and are not trying to offend. But people are being offended, too bad for those offended.

In the other case, you have someone who picks a name they know will offend, and such a pick is optional. The only reason they pick the name is to offend.(if you believe otherwise, I have a bridge to sell.) Even if they have the right to use the name, they generally are rude and arrogant people.

let me make it clear, in my opinion not everyone that picks an offensive name, does so to offend. However, it is clear when the names are that offensive it was picked to offend.

Nope sorry, my perpetual use of the f bomb in RL is not to offend but to desensitize. Your assumption that the only reason a person would pick a potently offensive name is to offend, is in itself... offensive.

Note I said potentially? That is because I believe there is no offensive choice unless you are targeting an individual or group that has stated it was offensive to you before you chose it. Then if you are simply saying screw them I like it and don't care what they think then the blame lies on those offended.

Username changes must comply with the Terms of Use.
Yep. For example, "You agree not to: (a) Upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, slanderous, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, embarrassing, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable to any other person or entity."

Of course Groundspeak is not the government so they do not have to worry about either Amendment. And since it is their web site and game, they can have whatever policy they want. So one of the initial suggestions is as far as we need to go: if a person thinks there might be a problem, contact Groundspeak and let them make the decision.

First Amendment, Free Speech...blah, blah, blah.

This is a "family friendly" site and it promotes a "family friendly" activity. There is no "free speech" when it comes to a forum or website owned by someone. They set the rules, or at least the "standards" of behaviour. You agreed to those rules and standards when you signed up.

If the username is one you wouldn't want to have your children or your parents or your spouse be subjected to, then it's "offensive".

One of Groundspeak's problems is the use of different third-party software for different areas under their control. Perhaps there are different word censors at work in different areas.

And to purposely push the boundaries of offensive language, trying to "outsmart" the word censors of the forum, is outright rude. No, kids today aren't innocent of such language, but why should mature adults promote such disrepectful language and attitudes? What kind of example are you setting?

I'm a moderator on another forum, and I'd see to it that people who purposely try to use foul language in the forum by being "clever" would get at least a warning.

Yep. For example, "You agree not to: (a) Upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, slanderous, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, embarrassing, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable to any other person or entity."

Of course, the bolded part covers pretty much any word in any language. :laughing:

Of course Groundspeak is not the government so they do not have to worry about either Amendment. And since it is their web site and game, they can have whatever policy they want. So one of the initial suggestions is as far as we need to go: if a person thinks there might be a problem, contact Groundspeak and let them make the decision.

Never said anything about GS did I? Nope! Being able to quote to change context is convenient, aint it. :D

Never said anything about GS did I? Nope! Being able to quote to change context is convenient, aint it. :D

Of course, you were referencing a topic relating to a name on the Groundspeak forum. So assuming you aren't popping in threads and making random statements ("Hey guys, I like ice cream!"), I'd say it's perfectly reasonable to assume you were referencing the GS forum.

Of course, you were referencing a topic relating to a name on the Groundspeak forum. So assuming you aren't popping in threads and making random statements ("Hey guys, I like ice cream!"), I'd say it's perfectly reasonable to assume you were referencing the GS forum.

Except for the fact that I was referencing people taking offense as a whole, not just at one location.

Need I further dumb down the concept?

A few years ago there was a cacher using the name Muggle Fugger. Its not offensive to me, but I immediately thought that someone would have a fit over it and it would be changed, but that never happened. They did seem to just stop caching, though.

Fug, thats a good one. It was what I used when I was a kid to keep from getting slapped by an adult when I wanted to express grievous dismay. Now so many people take issue with it, funny thing is very few from my parents generation do.

When does adding to the list stop? When we cant even say hello because some dude started calling his stuff a hello and it caught on? My wife gets ticked off when she hears "junk in the trunk" because it is a lot more sexual when we used it than the current kiddies intend and yes I lecture her.

The key is not for you to offend less, it is to let less offend you. Start with individual words and work up to larger concepts.

There is not a single word that George Carlin ever uttered that I could take as offensive. Strings of words are a different story.