Nearest unfound

Just wondering how expensive this game is getting in respect of fuel, for those that drive to caches. I guess one way to measure it is how far the nearest cache to home is that's left to be found... Or even how close to routes that you travel anyway (school run, work, visiting relatives etc)

To home, my nearest is still only 1.3 miles away... But I've not been back long. Pretty soon though I can see it becoming a fiver of fuel to get a cache!

Edited by NattyBooshka

Just wondering how expensive this game is getting in respect of fuel, for those that drive to caches ... Pretty soon though I can see it becoming a fiver of fuel to get a cache!

The great majority of the time I use my scooter instead of the car. Despite it being medium capacity (300cc), so more than adequate performance, I get over 80mpg. And I don't get stuck in traffic. And parking for caches is SO much easier :lol: .

Rgds, Andy

Just wondering how expensive this game is getting in respect of fuel, for those that drive to caches ... Pretty soon though I can see it becoming a fiver of fuel to get a cache!

The great majority of the time I use my scooter instead of the car. Despite it being medium capacity (300cc), so more than adequate performance, I get over 80mpg. And I don't get stuck in traffic. And parking for caches is SO much easier :lol: .

Rgds, Andy

Wouldn't be able to get one of those as biker mates would point and laugh daily!

Fuel costs not an issue here as in the last 10 years fuel may have gone up 40% but the combination of a more efficient car and getting rid of the racing driver in me means I get double the mpg that I used to... Not even close to 80 though!

At the moment I'm still able to random cache... If it was 10 miles in a straight line to one, I think a lot more planning would start to be needed. So, as there's a thousand within 10 miles and at my current rate they'll take me 3 years to do, maybe that'd be a good time to move house! Probably work out cheaper than the diesel by then anyway!

Vast majority of my finds were by bike or on foot near home or in an area I was visiting for work or leisure anyway. Hoping to get a couple more this weekend, while volunteer marshal on an adventure race in North York Moors, although partner will have GPS somewhere on Three Peaks Yacht Race, so will have to be very selective about which to try.

Caching expensive?

From all the hobbies I've been in & out of, this is the cheapest!!! Ok, but since this hobby fits my work schedule better....Oh hell, it's only gas!! (laugh) Makes you wonder what the GAS to FUN ratio is?

I don't even know where the closest unfound is. Probably within a couple miles for sure. I think those will remain unfound until the winter.... Its too nice out to stay close to home!!

I guess it depends why you are out there in the first place. I don't tend to go out into the country just to go caching. I'm there to go walking, if there is a cache on the route then I'll go look for it.

OK... sounds like me too, apart from my one a day obsession! I used to be in a job that took me all over the place though, which would have meant a never ending list of caches and someone else paying for the fuel/flights/hotels! Sadly I quit that just before I got into this!

Caching expensive?

From all the hobbies I've been in & out of, this is the cheapest!!! Ok, but since this hobby fits my work schedule better....Oh hell, it's only gas!! (laugh) Makes you wonder what the GAS to FUN ratio is?

I don't even know where the closest unfound is. Probably within a couple miles for sure. I think those will remain unfound until the winter.... Its too nice out to stay close to home!!

Yeah... the game is cheap, but there must be some players with escalating costs, mainly fuel, unless all the big big number players are lucky enough to be on expenses at the time!

Gas to fun I think is a low ratio, despite the governments efforts to raise it.

When I started the first time, there were so few caches that the fuel bill would have been much much higher, despite the lower cost of fuel.

I'm with you on saving local ones for winter, if we get snowed in again this winter I have a whole heap I can do nearby without firing up the car. Every day it's tempting to go get some, but they can wait.

Wouldn't be able to get one of those as biker mates would point and laugh daily!

I've had just that experience :lol: . Have enough self confidence to ignore it, and they'll soon get bored with it :laughing: . I've had big bikes all my life, but the scooter is more practical in many ways. Apart from the weather-proofing aspect, it has great carrying capacity.

I've just been 3 days in the West Country. Rucksack and walking pole go under the seat, overnight bag in the top box. When I park up, the rucksack and pole come out, and the bike jacket and crash helmet go under the seat in their place, safe and dry.

And in practical performance terms it's no different to a big bike. Having stayed in Cornwall on the last evening, coming home I cached across Dartmoor from west to east, and after the last cache I got from Dartmoor back to home south of Heathrow in 2 hours and 40 minutes.

It may not have much street cred, but it is extremely practical.

Rgds, Andy

Rgds, Andy

My caching steed returns even better fuel economy than that. Had it two years and it hasn't drunk a drop of gas. Of course it's a bit harder getting up hills and covering great distances when you have to turn the pedals to go anywhere but it's given me the added bonus of shifting weight.

That said, caching does get expensive when I need to keep buying new clothes because the old ones are loose. And I don't know that the mountain bike would get me from Dartmoor back to London in anything like a couple of hours.

I bought an electrically assisted bicycle 3 years ago (and promptly fell off it and broke my collar bone... but that's another story). That proved to be great for getting to local caches. I recently swapped it for a better (read... more expensive) one and bought a second battery at the same time. I now have a realistic 60-70 mile round trip capability. The number of unfound caches within range is enormous... even if I limit it to caches on cycle routes and bridleways. That will keep me going for quite a while yet.

Edited by Pharisee

So... I need something with 2 wheels that isn't made in Milwaukee? Never really considered that option! Always figured that a speed machine would mean the need to speed would come back and I'm just dumb enough to kill myself on one. Never considered the scooter... and I guess I could hide it somewhere. Some of you have met me, and leather jacket, Megadeth t-shirt and studded belts may look a bit strange on one... I need a Hog, but first need license and 20k! Almost bought one once, Booshka said 24k was a lot of money to spend on something I couldn't use... she always was the smarter one... but it was beautiful!

Never considered an electric bicycle either... now that is something I'll have to look at.

Never considered an electric bicycle either... now that is something I'll have to look at.

If you think your street cred would be low on a scooter, it would fall through the floor on an electric bike :-)

I had one once (only a cheap Chinese one), and while it worked reasonably well, the range was under 10 miles and every now and again it would inexplicably fail after a mile or so - I guess the charging circuit was unreliable. And because I couldn't rely on it, I stopped using it.

John, does that range of 60-70 miles you quote include "pedal assistance"? Is the bike a folder? I could be interested in another one if it's better quality than my last one.

Rgds, Andy

If you think your street cred would be low on a scooter, it would fall through the floor on an electric bike :-)

I had one once (only a cheap Chinese one), and while it worked reasonably well, the range was under 10 miles and every now and again it would inexplicably fail after a mile or so - I guess the charging circuit was unreliable. And because I couldn't rely on it, I stopped using it.

John, does that range of 60-70 miles you quote include "pedal assistance"? Is the bike a folder? I could be interested in another one if it's better quality than my last one.

Rgds, Andy

Hehe... For sure, but swappin my skin for a tight cycling shirt... Ok, on second thoughts maybe not!

Interested in the electric cycle though as I can throw it in the back of the car, and use it to save any driving once at another location... Which I can't do with the scooter option.

If I cover the cycle in big dropsheets and look suspicious taking it from home to car, then I'd probably gain much cred... And luckily the police know me already!

Rgds, Andy

Yes. I don't use it as a moped. I pedal normally and the electric motor just adds some assistance... not the other way around :) The motor is a 250 watt brushless job, mounted in the rear wheel hub and it uses a 36v 14Ah Li-Po battery. The controller has had the UK 'restiction' removed and is now in 'European spec. Top speed (without pedalling) around 20m.p.h. on the flat. I get around 32-35 miles / battery on the road, a little less over bridleways and byways. That's over the Chiltern hills, you'd probably get more if you live in the fens :lol:

No, the bike isn't a folder but it fits comfortably in the back of my 407SW if I drop the front wheel out.

This is the machine.

Edited for bad grammar

Edited by Pharisee
Interested in the electric cycle though as I can throw it in the back of the car, and use it to save any driving once at another location... Which I can't do with the scooter option.
I have a Brompton, which are absolutely the best folding bikes in the world, by a mile. It's so compact that I can even carry it on the back of the scooter, though not with the top box on, and I have to take the bike off the back before I can open the seat, so not really very convenient.

What I would really like is an electric clip on attachment for the Brompton.

Rgds, Andy

I have a Brompton, which are absolutely the best folding bikes in the world, by a mile. It's so compact that I can even carry it on the back of the scooter, though not with the top box on, and I have to take the bike off the back before I can open the seat, so not really very convenient.

Rgds, Andy

Don't need a folder... Drive a zafira, so with seats dropped there's not much I can't get in. As it's black I was thinking of doing funerals in my spare time! Of course the cortege might get miffed if I get a new cache notification and take a quick left and accelerate!

Trying to get a bit greener... When the team of 5 are caching a seven seater is justified for comfort... When alone I go to look at the wonderful countryside that my diesel engine is choking, I feel a little guilty!

Rgds, Andy

Mine's a folder. It lives in the back of the Freelander along with its three batteries. It's especially good right now, because my old Plantar Fascitis has come back, and walking long distances is out until my foot recovers.

Street cred isn't an issue, because I'm the one that defines what's cred. Top speed is 15 mph, because I haven't doctored it, but that's more than enough on rough ground. Range is about 20-25 caches per battery, and I let the battery do a *lot* of the work.

Rgds, Andy

Mine's a folder. It lives in the back of the Freelander along with its three batteries. It's especially good right now, because my old Plantar Fascitis has come back, and walking long distances is out until my foot recovers.

Street cred isn't an issue, because I'm the one that defines what's cred. Top speed is 15 mph, because I haven't doctored it, but that's more than enough on rough ground. Range is about 20-25 caches per battery, and I let the battery do a *lot* of the work.

Lol... Now how did I know you'd measure range in terms of caches and not mileage???? Ok, my cred will be intact if you're the one defining... Then again my one a day mission is not exactly in your league, so I may be marked down.

Is this an overlooked area of caching? We talk about GPRs and smartphones, but if you want to keep caching at a higher rate than locals hide them, maybe the most important things are cost of fuel/cheaper ways to move faster than walking?

I'm not allowed to cycle off road (or even up steep Tarmac) due to knee injuries, so electric cycle may get around that. A scooter, on reflection, may make it too tempting to ride down that footpath as I'm easily lead, but only by myself.

Interesting conversation, food for thought... Thanks guys.

I'm not allowed to cycle off road (or even up steep Tarmac) due to knee injuries, so electric cycle may get around that. A scooter, on reflection, may make it too tempting to ride down that footpath as I'm easily lead, but only by myself.

I much prefer bridleways and by-ways to cycling on the road and will choose that route if possible. Cycling on footpaths is a definite 'no-no'... First off, it's illegal and secondly, kissing gates and styles get in the way. Weighing in at 25 kilos, being fitted with pannier bags and carrying a second battery (another 4.5 kilos), it's no lightweight and lifting it over styles and gates isn't something I want to do.

I much prefer bridleways and by-ways to cycling on the road and will choose that route if possible. Cycling on footpaths is a definite 'no-no'... First off, it's illegal and secondly, kissing gates and styles get in the way. Weighing in at 25 kilos, being fitted with pannier bags and carrying a second battery (another 4.5 kilos), it's no lightweight and lifting it over styles and gates isn't something I want to do.

Of course... Sorry... The TPT round these parts is for walkers, cyclists and women in tight jodhpurs... so that's what I was referring too... I wouldn't dream of cycling on a footpath... Honest.

One of my pet hates is seeing mountain bike tracks on narrow steep footpaths... Plenty of places they can do that, without heading at innocent people out for a walk full pelt downhill.

I hope to live long enough to see someone kissing at a kissing gate... Love the history behind the name, would love to see a tradition rebooted.

Edited by NattyBooshka

I hope to live long enough to see someone kissing at a kissing gate... Love the history behind the name, would love to see a tradition rebooted.

:o

I've seen it.

And do my best to continue the tradition! :D

Ok... So one of my things to do before I die is possible!

Keep up the good work. Too little regard for tradition I the world.

Zarbi & I ALWAYS keep up that tradition! :P

:o

I've seen it.

And do my best to continue the tradition! :D

Ok... So one of my things to do before I die is possible!

Keep up the good work. Too little regard for tradition I the world.

One of my pet peeves is when I follow a trail that appears to be OK for bikes and then after a couple of miles find a tall kissing gate. Shorter gates and stiles are OK for a lighter bike but if there are going to be major obstructions for bikes a sign at the end of the trail saying that bikes weren't allowed would always be nice.

I remember one path I followed which was clearly marked "Public Bridleway" but was still obstructed by gates. At the other end of the path it was marked "Public Footpath". Go figure...

I've never seen anyone else do it, but Mrs Tisri and I usually kiss at kissing gates.

Mrs.Rollwrong and myself religiously kiss at every kissing gate (even if we come back through the same gate a little later). It really annoys the kids! lol

Rgds, Andy

There are assorted attachments you can get that bolt on a small motor. I found one site, http://www.bikeengines.com/index.htm (based in the US) that produces a wide range. I've never used their products and don't know anyone else who has either so can't comment on how good they are/n't.

Obviously things like that create all sorts of legal things to check relating to exactly when the bike makes the transition to motorbike and the related questions (an obvious one that comes to mind is whether it is legally a regular bicycle if the motor is not running or if you have to physically disconnect the motor's drive belt). If you're going to have to deal with number plates, helmets, insurance etc you rapidly hit a point where you might as well just take the scooter.

There are assorted attachments you can get that bolt on a small motor ... Obviously things like that create all sorts of legal things to check relating to exactly when the bike makes the transition to motorbike ... If you're going to have to deal with number plates, helmets, insurance etc you rapidly hit a point where you might as well just take the scooter.

I have just seen that the nano conversion for the Brompton seems to be available again - when I looked a long time ago it appeared to be in some sort of limbo. Not cheap though - about £800, and that doesn't include the bike. But with the conversion the bike still folds like a Brompton, i.e. better than anything else.

Legally, electrically assisted bikes are quite separate to motor-bikes. Up to 250w and with power assistance not available over 15.5 mph are the main limits. In Europe power assistance must not be available unless you are pedalling, currently that's not the case in the UK, but it may be applied at some time in the future. Provided you are within the limits, the rules are the same as for push bikes.

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

I've never seen anyone else do it, but Mrs Tisri and I usually kiss at kissing gates.

Mrs.Rollwrong and myself religiously kiss at every kissing gate (even if we come back through the same gate a little later). It really annoys the kids! lol

Mrs B & I have always done it, and last weekend away we saw another couple doing it but they looked embarrased when spotted :D

There are assorted attachments you can get that bolt on a small motor ... Obviously things like that create all sorts of legal things to check relating to exactly when the bike makes the transition to motorbike ... If you're going to have to deal with number plates, helmets, insurance etc you rapidly hit a point where you might as well just take the scooter.

I have just seen that the nano conversion for the Brompton seems to be available again - when I looked a long time ago it appeared to be in some sort of limbo. Not cheap though - about £800, and that doesn't include the bike. But with the conversion the bike still folds like a Brompton, i.e. better than anything else.

Legally, electrically assisted bikes are quite separate to motor-bikes. Up to 250w and with power assistance not available over 15.5 mph are the main limits. In Europe power assistance must not be available unless you are pedalling, currently that's not the case in the UK, but it may be applied at some time in the future. Provided you are within the limits, the rules are the same as for push bikes.

Rgds, Andy

I'm not sure what the legal status would be if you put a petrol-powered motor on the back of a regular bike. Some of the testimonials from the site I linked suggest you can get a regular bike up to 30mph+ with them while also returning fuel economy figures that run well into three figures. That said much as the thought of 250mpg does appeal to me I'm not sure I'd really want to put a bike designed for pedalling through the strains of going so much faster than I could sustain. Although if the bike were legally classified as a motorbike I can just imagine the response of motorists seeing what looks like a regular bike on the motorway....

The controller has had the UK 'restiction' removed and is now in 'European spec.

Is that an easy mod to do yourself?

Actually I think it's back to front - it's a European restriction, the UK currently is not restricted in that way. Most suppliers of bikes to the UK should be able to supply without the restriction.

It's possible we may fall into line with the rest of Europe at some time.

Rgds, Andy

I'm not sure what the legal status would be if you put a petrol-powered motor on the back of a regular bike.
That would become a motor-cycle or a moped, depending on the spec of the motor.

Although if the bike were legally classified as a motorbike I can just imagine the response of motorists seeing what looks like a regular bike on the motorway ...

Whether or not it would be permitted on a motorway also depends on the spec of the motor.

Most cycle-motors of that type would be moped/not motorway.

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

Of course... Sorry... The TPT round these parts is for walkers, cyclists and women in tight jodhpurs... so that's what I was referring too... I wouldn't dream of cycling on a footpath... Honest.

One of my pet hates is seeing mountain bike tracks on narrow steep footpaths... Plenty of places they can do that, without heading at innocent people out for a walk full pelt downhill.

My husband won't let me through a kissing gate without paying him a kiss! lol. Passing strangers occasionally took up the offer and gave him a peck on the cheek in his younger days, too. :rolleyes: He wouldn't dare now! :blink:

I drive a Prius which is fairly good on the fuel consumption, but with money too tight to mention, I've recently cut back on driving to caches pretty drastically.

Can't ride a bike, don't have the balance/ coordination for it. The last time I tried I fell off over the handlebars going downhill (on a cycle path covered in scree). My shoulder might never recover. <_<

Don't let me interrupt the scooter/ bike discussions though! :D

Edit to add: our nearest unfound cache is 0.9 miles away.

Edited by Fianccetto

My husband won't let me through a kissing gate without paying him a kiss! lol. Passing strangers occasionally took up the offer and gave him a peck on the cheek in his younger days, too. :rolleyes: He wouldn't dare now! :blink:

I drive a Prius which is fairly good on the fuel consumption, but with money too tight to mention, I've recently cut back on driving to caches pretty drastically.

Can't ride a bike, don't have the balance/ coordination for it. The last time I tried I fell off over the handlebars going downhill (on a cycle path covered in scree). My shoulder might never recover. <_<

Don't let me interrupt the scooter/ bike discussions though! :D

Edit to add: our nearest unfound cache is 0.9 miles away.

In my youth I'd have had a queue at a kissing gate... these days the queue forms next to me as they all try and rush through it and away to safety!

My kissing gate issue must be a local thing... glad to see the tradition is being maintained out there... do the ladies also wear the huge dresses that won't fit through? Will try to do something about the lack of local observance of this tradition.

I'm now at the point where I have to drive to them, or go for the hike at the top of the road. I love hill walking in snow, so I've been saving the Glossop to Kinder scout hike and all its caches for a nice sunny winter's day with a couple of inches of snow on the ground. So, although far from a problem yet, the fuel bill for caching is slowly creeping upwards.

Come to the decision that I'll ride anything to caches... but here's the thing... scooter/electric bike costs a lot, and that money could have been put in the tank and used to find caches... wondering how long it would be at 80mpg over 45mpg to pay for itself. Worse, I could use a scooter to get to some places that my car just won't go (a few awful roads round here.) So it looks like the electric cycle may win... but can I save the money and resist filling the tank and grabbing some numbers?

Euro millions entered!

sorry ive skipped some of these responses, but wanted to add my two tuppance.

I try to make caching into existing family trips, although often (with the yung uns) this relates to nothing more than maybe a cache or two being able to search for, with a rather bored wife in the passenger seat.

about to make a special trip for some caching and used to have a caching buddy I would split trips with (his car one trip, mines another) but he seems to have dropped off that radar recently and not cached since a night caching event at halloween.

I recently decided to take my eldest camping for her first time, so that is having the campsite chosen for its local caching facilities (oh and toilet facilities!)

I also use the pedal power these days, taking the car to a local point. im probably spending about £5 a pop in petrol, but hey, its better than boozing every night imo. having said that, im off for a cider :)

You can get a 50cc scooter for £549. http://www.scooter.co.uk/

I am *so* tempted by these (I fancy the 125cc one, for £699)! I had a BSA Bantam 175 and a Lambretta TV175 when I was younger; I stopped using them after the second accident that entirely wasn't my fault but which, if things had happened a bit differently, could have severely injured me, because when you come off you bike, any car can just hurtle into your body.

Of course, you can't use motor vehicles on footpaths or bridleways.

Electric bikes, though, are great. Legally, they're pretty much the same as a bicycle, so you can use them anywhere you can use a bike. Plus it's like having someone giving you a push from behind, and if the battery runs out - well, you've still got a bike.

sorry ive skipped some of these responses, but wanted to add my two tuppance.

I try to make caching into existing family trips, although often (with the yung uns) this relates to nothing more than maybe a cache or two being able to search for, with a rather bored wife in the passenger seat.

about to make a special trip for some caching and used to have a caching buddy I would split trips with (his car one trip, mines another) but he seems to have dropped off that radar recently and not cached since a night caching event at halloween.

I recently decided to take my eldest camping for her first time, so that is having the campsite chosen for its local caching facilities (oh and toilet facilities!)

I also use the pedal power these days, taking the car to a local point. im probably spending about £5 a pop in petrol, but hey, its better than boozing every night imo. having said that, im off for a cider :)

Not been to the pub for a session for 5 years or so... Sometimes for a swift one, but rarely more. Used to drink out 5 or 7 nights a week, and I'd forgotten how much I'm not spending these days. Wine, cider and ale in the house, along with some stronger stuff. Hate to think how much I used to spend drinking what would be about a tenner in waitrose!

You can get a 50cc scooter for £549. http://www.scooter.co.uk/

I am *so* tempted by these (I fancy the 125cc one, for £699)! I had a BSA Bantam 175 and a Lambretta TV175 when I was younger; I stopped using them after the second accident that entirely wasn't my fault but which, if things had happened a bit differently, could have severely injured me, because when you come off you bike, any car can just hurtle into your body.

Of course, you can't use motor vehicles on footpaths or bridleways.

Electric bikes, though, are great. Legally, they're pretty much the same as a bicycle, so you can use them anywhere you can use a bike. Plus it's like having someone giving you a push from behind, and if the battery runs out - well, you've still got a bike.

The go anywhere aspect is attractive... As is the no effort scooter variation. Will have to think about it for a while... Which means I'll probably buy a new electronic toy first!

Not been to the pub for a session for 5 years or so... Sometimes for a swift one, but rarely more. Used to drink out 5 or 7 nights a week, and I'd forgotten how much I'm not spending these days. Wine, cider and ale in the house, along with some stronger stuff. Hate to think how much I used to spend drinking what would be about a tenner in waitrose!

similar, been a long time since the last one and certainly, i cant figure out how the messages were bought when that much went through the liver :s

similar, been a long time since the last one and certainly, i cant figure out how the messages were bought when that much went through the liver :s

Enjoying a little Jim Beam tonight... £15 for the bottle beats £2.50 a shot... No caching in the morning... Will have to bag one tomorrow evening though.