Flash Drive TBs. Any going anywhere?

BlueDeuce

I can't tell you how many 'memory stick' tb threads I've read here, I just don't remember seeing any follow up.

Anyone have a link of one that's been moving with a reasonable amount of success? Never really thought it was a good idea but I am curious about the survival rate.

I can't tell you how many 'memory stick' tb threads I've read here, I just don't remember seeing any follow up.

Anyone have a link of one that's been moving with a reasonable amount of success? Never really thought it was a good idea but I am curious about the survival rate.

I had pretty good luck for about 4 years:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=165159

I really hate the inability to contact past members who haven't 'verified' their email address. That member hasn't been back since 2009.

TB3N1GD. This one has only been going since March 2011.

Here is an interesting one I found once.... http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=491811

I was afraid to attach it to my computer.

Here is an interesting one I found once.... http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=491811

I was afraid to attach it to my computer.

Looks like that cacher took his ball and went home.

You should also be afraid to be on the Internet then.

So you are saying there is no chance that that bug contains malicious code which might slip by conventional virus protection?

I'm saying that the same thing can happen to you while browsing the Internet. Either you trust your system or you don't. If you don't, you shouldn't be online.

As long as you disable Windows' 'auto-run', or use a Mac or Linux; and of course do not run any executables you find; then the worse that might happen by inserting a USB key is accidentally viewing a picture of Goatse (which is not pleasant). If you're using Windows then you should have an up to date Antivirus program installed anyway.

Come to think of it, accidentally viewing Goatse is too great a risk to take. He might appear anywhere in forums, too ... Quick, disconnect from the Internet!

[goatse image deleted by moderator]

See what I mean :blink:

TBJ7HH started in Germany and has over 15000 miles so far. Has been in one place for a few months now.

Here are two that I know of ~ one of which was in my possession but I didn't plug into my laptop.

This one, Freedom Flash I, has been moving since March, 2008. The 5th most recent post from the top shows pictures that were on the drive.

This one, The Digital Geocache, was released October, 2007 and was recently moved by friends of mine (don't know if they plugged into it or not).

Both seen to have longevity ~ 3 & 4 years respectively.

Someone posted the photos that were on that Freedom Flash TB. So, someone was brave enough to trust it.

Brave isn't the word I would use to describe the person who used it on their computer

The same would have been said about Columbus, the Wright brothers, and countless others. There are calculated chances you can take in life. Living life without ever taking any chances isn't living at all. Have modern up-to-date anti-virus/spyware on your machine and you'll be fine most of the time. The other portion of the time...well, we take a risk every day we step out of our houses, every cache in the woods, every night we go to sleep. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Someone posted the photos that were on that Freedom Flash TB. So, someone was brave enough to trust it.

Brave isn't the word I would use to describe the person who used it on their computer

The same would have been said about Columbus, the Wright brothers, and countless others. There are calculated chances you can take in life. Living life without ever taking any chances isn't living at all. Have modern up-to-date anti-virus/spyware on your machine and you'll be fine most of the time. The other portion of the time...well, we take a risk every day we step out of our houses, every cache in the woods, every night we go to sleep. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

I would instruct Columbus as well not to insert 'unknown origin' data into his PC. Keep in mind that anti-virus software is updated continuously, for a reason. It's not like...'Hey, add this software and you're good to go. You'll never have a problem.'

I'm not pulling a Chicken Little act, but people have a hard enough time dealing with Urban Legends. Many folks should not be inserting data of unknown origin into their PCs simply because they aren't prepared to deal with a system issue and we don't need to add to the risks. Which are real, even if rare.

Somebody could write an injection bug that would infect all users of these forums if they were so inclined, but we aren't about to stop visiting.

I'm with the 'exercise caution' group, but I think you can (with reasonable precautions in place)be safe more often than not.

But for people who aren't comfortable not being 100% safe, I'd say don't do it. Also, unplug your computer.

Your mileage may vary.

I just have to add, back in 2010 (or earlyer?) Microsoft reliesed a security patch with will no longer allow auto run from USB memory sticks. So, by putting the stick in there and looking at the files in windows explorer, it can not harm your system. Opening a virus could though, so scan the stick before opening anything.