Bitten by a dog

I have to admit as a newbie dogs is one of teh main reasons I havent done to may caches yet. Most of them in the area where I live are down on the canals where dog owners seem to let there dogs roam without a lead. I have had some bad experiences as a child with dogs and try not to be too nervous around them but always end up going in the opposite direction even if it means walking miles out of my way. Hence I thin come September when I return from holiday I will be looking for a buddy to cache with.

I have to admit as a newbie dogs is one of teh main reasons I havent done to may caches yet. Most of them in the area where I live are down on the canals where dog owners seem to let there dogs roam without a lead. I have had some bad experiences as a child with dogs and try not to be too nervous around them but always end up going in the opposite direction even if it means walking miles out of my way. Hence I thin come September when I return from holiday I will be looking for a buddy to cache with.

I'd suggest that you carry a walking pole, and don't let a dog get behind you. If you do get attacked by a dog, your instinct will take over, and you'll defend yourself. But don't let the possibility of a dog bite, put you off walking.

Update on my dog bite - it's healing well, and it's stopped hurting (after two weeks). I haven't had any update from the police yet. I'll remind them.

A policeman that I know, told me that I could have claimed compensation from the dog owner for the bite. I hadn't known that. I think it's possible to get insurance for yourself against the possibility that your dog bites someone, although I think that finding a way to prevent the dog from biting, would be greatly preferable.

A policeman that I know, told me that I could have claimed compensation from the dog owner for the bite. I hadn't known that. I think it's possible to get insurance for yourself against the possibility that your dog bites someone, although I think that finding a way to prevent the dog from biting, would be greatly preferable.

All responsible dog owners have their dogs insured. This is as much for third party liability as well as insurance against medical expenses. If my dog went native in a field of lambs then the resultant chaos could cost a fortune. Likewise if 'Douggie' ran in front of a lorry causing it to lose control could result in major trauma.

Take legaly advice and take the owner to court !

The police have reported back to me.

From the car registration number, they were able to track down the dog owner, and she was visited by the police. She denied the whole thing.

So, her dog has never bitten anyone, the wound on my leg was either my imagination or someone else's dog, and she has no reason to be more careful in future. The police said it's my word against hers (they weren't surprised that she denied it, I expect they have some experience in these matters), and it isn't going any further. Will she muzzle the dog in future? Well, she has no reason to, since her dog hasn't bitten anyone.

Today a barking dog loped up to ladysolly and I as we were walking along a footpath. I gripped my walking pole and was ready to defend us if necessary. I'm a *lot* less concerned now about whether a dog gets injured, when it's me or ladysolly that might get bitten. I would advise all owners of aggressive dogs to ensure that they're closely leashed when they meet a somewhat burly man wearing a hat and walking with a walking pole, although he isn't going to hurt your dog, unless he feels that he's being attacked. And he isn't going to wait until the dog actually has it's teeth in his ankle to feel threatened.

Oh that's not good... I hope despite the denial she has a wake up call regarding her dog and does something about the behaviour

I'm a dog owner and am very aware of how scary he can be despite the fact he is very friendly (he's big so even without teeth being involved he can cause trauma by being a big bouncy enthusiastic beast) I always put him back on a lead when I see walkers/cyclists/runners coming as I know he may well bounce and even if that's all he does it's not acceptable

Having also been bitten by two dogs who were going for my one but thought me as good an alternative I do sympathise So many dog owners seem unaware of what their dogs can do or even what situations they can exacerbate by just not paying attention and using a little common sense

I think second to speak softly and carry a beagle ala Charlie Brown, speaking softly and carrying a stick may well be (sadly) a good idea Ive used my riding crop to defend my pony against dogs before - another thing which works well is a short sharp hiss as them, my trainer gave me canned air to use to stop my pup barking at other dogs and now I just hiss at him to stop this and have also used a hiss to stop dogs coming too close up to us (being paranoid now Ive been bitten a few times)

Hope the dog bite is healing ok still and hope you never get into that situation again, Nasty. Pup says if you are ever up this way and if he ever does learn to sniff tupperware you're welcome to borrow him as an apology for the behaviour of some canines!!!!!!

Oh that's not good... I hope despite the denial she has a wake up call regarding her dog and does something about the behaviour

I'm a dog owner and am very aware of how scary he can be despite the fact he is very friendly (he's big so even without teeth being involved he can cause trauma by being a big bouncy enthusiastic beast) I always put him back on a lead when I see walkers/cyclists/runners coming as I know he may well bounce and even if that's all he does it's not acceptable

Having also been bitten by two dogs who were going for my one but thought me as good an alternative I do sympathise So many dog owners seem unaware of what their dogs can do or even what situations they can exacerbate by just not paying attention and using a little common sense

I think second to speak softly and carry a beagle ala Charlie Brown, speaking softly and carrying a stick may well be (sadly) a good idea Ive used my riding crop to defend my pony against dogs before - another thing which works well is a short sharp hiss as them, my trainer gave me canned air to use to stop my pup barking at other dogs and now I just hiss at him to stop this and have also used a hiss to stop dogs coming too close up to us (being paranoid now Ive been bitten a few times)

Hope the dog bite is healing ok still and hope you never get into that situation again, Nasty. Pup says if you are ever up this way and if he ever does learn to sniff tupperware you're welcome to borrow him as an apology for the behaviour of some canines!!!!!!

The more I discuss this, the more people I find telling me that they have been bitten by dogs! Maybe it isn't as rare as I thought it was (this was a first for me).

Carrying a stick is a no-brainer - I always walk with a walking pole, because it gives me better balance and some impetus going up hills. Of course, on my bike, I don't have a stick, and I was on my bike the day I got bitten. But the big lesson I've taken from this incident, is "Don't let a strange dog get behind you, even if he's never bitten anyone and isn't acting aggressively".

I hope I don't ever find myself defending myself with my stick - it's got the usual sharp point, and I'd guess the dog could get seriously injured. But I have to admit, my tolerance for dogs acting aggressively (or even friendly-bouncy, because I'm not the sort of dog expert that can tell the difference) is a lot less.

Yes, it's healing fine, thanks, although I've had a consequential problem. I have plantar fascitis in the same leg, and to help that get better, I'd wear a "night splint". But while the leg is still tender from the bite, I can't wear the night splint, and as a result, the plantar fascitis has been getting worse. But I expect to be able to wear the night splint again soon.

Full marks to you for putting your friendly but bouncy dog on a lead when you see people coming.

Oh you fibber ! he's a woose .... and not a bit scary ..... the only thing he'll bite is beefburgers blink.gif

Edited by Flyfishermanbob

Ha ha ha

FFB I wish that were true!!!!!!!!!! WEll the bit about only biting beefburgers (or sausages) is but sadly too many peeps I come across think he's a big FIERCE dog!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is indeed as u say a wuss (should have seen him today, sheltering from the rain under my seat - poor wee delicate thing!!!)

LOL!!! Good to know some people see him for what he really is - warms the cockles and all that!!!!!!!

From the owner of the second (HUMPH) most handsome dog at the Dalkeith Show today!!!!!!!

Ha ha ha

FFB I wish that were true!!!!!!!!!! WEll the bit about only biting beefburgers (or sausages) is but sadly too many peeps I come across think he's a big FIERCE dog!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is indeed as u say a wuss (should have seen him today, sheltering from the rain under my seat - poor wee delicate thing!!!)

LOL!!! Good to know some people see him for what he really is - warms the cockles and all that!!!!!!!

From the owner of the second (HUMPH) most handsome dog at the Dalkeith Show today!!!!!!!

My dog (Shar pei) has never bit anyone in her life but I know she can be a funny young thing when meeting strangers.

So she is off the lead till i meet someone on the walk ... then she is told to wait (which she does) while I put her back on her lead.

To me and TOH she is a mushy, loving dog.... but I would never presume for a moment she would be like that with strangers (especially men ... she has a thing about men till she knows them) so I put her back on the lead.

What is the big deal with doing that? ... no sooner we are away from people I let her back off her lead (we don't walk where there are loads of people)

I'm lucky enough to live right on a quiet beach where we meet hardly anyone ... but in the Summer I'm prepared.

I can't believe this Woman would deny her dog bit you ..... but hopefully she is now aware that her dog does bite and will take precautions ... but I doubt it!

From the car registration number, they were able to track down the dog owner, and she was visited by the police. She denied the whole thing.

So, her dog has never bitten anyone, the wound on my leg was either my imagination or someone else's dog, and she has no reason to be more careful in future. The police said it's my word against hers (they weren't surprised that she denied it, I expect they have some experience in these matters), and it isn't going any further. Will she muzzle the dog in future? Well, she has no reason to, since her dog hasn't bitten anyone.

But the big lesson I've taken from this incident, is "Don't let a strange dog get behind you, even if he's never bitten anyone and isn't acting aggressively".

I think another lesson that should be learnt here is that the owner denied from the first instance that her dog was dangerous. That would have set alarm bells ringing straight away for me. In any case 999 should have been dialled straight away and reported to the police that you had been attacked, thus not allowing the person to get away from the scene before the police being involved and being able to deny it without you having proof. Blood still pouring down your leg and the owner with dog still there is more credible than you going into a police station after the fact.

Lets face it, if a complete stranger came up and thumped you, said sorry I have never done that before and walked off. You wouldn't leave it 24 hours before informing the police you would call them straight away. Why is being bitten by a dog any different?

I think another lesson that should be learnt here is that the owner denied from

-- snip --

Lets face it, if a complete stranger came up and thumped you, said sorry I have never done that before and walked off. You wouldn't leave it 24 hours before informing the police you would call them straight away. Why is being bitten by a dog any different?

I have to totally agree with this. I was mauled as a child, resulting in facial plastic surgery, so I have a natural fear of dogs. As with others, I carry a stick and the knowledge of how to stop a dog when it launches for an attack. I don't hate dogs or dog owners, but they must realise that their fluffy friend is only a fluffy friend to them, not other people - or other dogs, even.

Keep it on a lead when it's around others, and keep an eye on it.

If you are attacked, even if it's only a mild attack, you should report it to the police straight away. Either 999 or the local police number if you know it.

- Tony.

But the big lesson I've taken from this incident, is "Don't let a strange dog get behind you, even if he's never bitten anyone and isn't acting aggressively".

I think another lesson that should be learnt here is that the owner denied from the first instance that her dog was dangerous. That would have set alarm bells ringing straight away for me. In any case 999 should have been dialled straight away and reported to the police that you had been attacked, thus not allowing the person to get away from the scene before the police being involved and being able to deny it without you having proof. Blood still pouring down your leg and the owner with dog still there is more credible than you going into a police station after the fact.

I'm naive. It didn't occur to me that she'd deny it. I now have the number of Thames Valley Police in my mobile, and if I'm attacked in future, whether by human or beast, I'll use it.

I really worry about dogs, and don't they just know it. I'll never forget the owners reaction when I got charged at by this cow sized dog in a forest, I just had to stand there while she was so surprised and frantically shouting for him to stop. That was...unsettling. The owner tried to apologise afterwards but I wasn't in the mood to be polite afterwards :lol:

I'm naive. It didn't occur to me that she'd deny it. I now have the number of Thames Valley Police in my mobile, and if I'm attacked in future, whether by human or beast, I'll use it.

Believe me you are not alone with your naivety. I work in security within a university and it really surprises me the amount of people that believe the world is a nice place and that everyone in it are honest.

Another point to make is that a lot of police forces put you straight through to their control centres. Lothian & Borders certainly do. This means that you will be speaking to the exact same operators as you would be if you made a 999 call. Which means the police force immediately presume that because you have taken the time to dial their number and not make an emergency call, that you do not require assistance immediately and you will be put as a lower priority. You will then be left with the police turning up a couple of hours later (or even the next day) at your house. At that point you are back at the same situation as you find yourself in now.

So if you want assistance before the person leaves the scene, then dial 999. You won't be taking that call from someone else. But it will allow the control centre to prioritise your situation with more accuracy.

I really worry about dogs, and don't they just know it. I'll never forget the owners reaction when I got charged at by this cow sized dog in a forest, I just had to stand there while she was so surprised and frantically shouting for him to stop. That was...unsettling. The owner tried to apologise afterwards but I wasn't in the mood to be polite afterwards :lol:

I see what you mean. But from now on, it's the other way round - dogs really have to worry about me. Previously, if I were charged at by a big dog (and that's happened so many times!) I would just stand still and wait for the dog to eventually decide to go away (the owner's calls don't seem to ever make any difference). But since being bitten, I'll be taking a more active role in my own defence, and if I have to debate how come the dog owner's innocent fluffy pet got hurt, then I'll have that debate. I'm a large and dangerous animal, and although I'd never attack a well-behaved dog, I will certainly defend myself vigorously if I believe I'm being attacked ... even if the owner thinks that the dog is just being playful. What matters is what I think might be happening, not what the owner thinks.

And maybe if more of us did that, then dog owners who currently take a relaxed attitude to their dogs acting aggressively, would for the sake of their dog, protect it by keeping it under better control.

I would be very careful on your pro active stance, I remember many years ago a paper boy on a bike kicked out at a dog that ran up to him barking and the law decide against the paper boy because he attacked first. Whilst most responsible dog owners have insurance for vet bills do you have anything?

Many moons ago my dad killed a dog because it was attacking a child. It was going to kill the girl, so as he saw it it was her or the dog, and he broke the dog's neck. It was a big dog, a German Shepard I think, so it wasn't something he did with ease and he was hurt in the process. I don't remember the details of where the owner was (I think he must have been in the vicinity, perhaps it was even on a footpath across his own land, perhaps he was getting something to stop his dog, I'm not sure). But somehow the owner of the dog successfully managed to bring a case against my father, which went to court, and my father lost. The judge had to ask him to pay a fine (he did this reluctantly, awarded the lowest penalty possible, said the case should never have come to court, that he hoped the law changed, and he said to my Dad if he were ever in the same situation, he hoped he would do the same thing again. It was a long time ago and might not have a lot of bearing legally now. However, Dad didn't regret saving the girl and he brought us up the same way and to not take on dog ownership lightly. He always said if a dog of his ever drew blood, he would have it put down and he wouldn't need to be asked to.

I would be very careful on your pro active stance, I remember many years ago a paper boy on a bike kicked out at a dog that ran up to him barking and the law decide against the paper boy because he attacked first. Whilst most responsible dog owners have insurance for vet bills do you have anything?

I've recently been bitten by a dog, so I'm able to make an informed decision about the relative merits of being bitten and being not bitten. That one bite led me to go to hospital for treatment, was painful even when lying down trying to sleep, and after two weeks it's still somewhat tender. I'm glad it didn't get infected; ion the hospital they told me that was a distinct possibilty, that's why they put me on antibiotics. I've learned that even a dog that has never bitten before, can, without warning, and for no apparent reason, inflict a nasty bite. As I said, I wouldn't attack a dog, I would only defend myself if I considered myself to be under attack. But I'm not going to wait until the dog actually has its teeth in my leg before taking action. This isn't proactive - it's reactive. I'll react if I believe that I'm under attack. I would hope that any dog owner who has a dog that makes people feel under attack, would keep it closely leashed, for the protection of the dog as well as any people around.

I'm guessing that you own a dog. I would hope that your dog wouldn't act aggressively towards people walking along public paths, or that if it did, you'd keep it closely leashed at all times. "At all times" means not just when you see someone walking towards you. Dogs tend to roam far and wide from where their owner is, and in my experience, a lot of dogs totally ignore calls from their owner to return to the leash. "Closely leashed" means on a short leash, not one of those leashes that allows a dog to run dozens of yards in all directions. If your dog, running ahead of you, attacks me ... then I'll defend myself.

I'm not bothered by a dog making lots of noise. And I can very much understand a dog defending its territory, but that territory does not include public rights of way. I'm sure dogs don't understand about publlic rights of way, but dog owners do, and should take appropriate precautions.

If an aggressive dog gets close enough to me to be able to sink its teeth into me, then I'll try to stop that from happening. I'm bigger than pretty much any dog, and probably stronger, and I'm wearing boots, and when I'm out walking, I have a walking pole. So I'm hoping that dog owners, for the sake of their dog, ensure that their dog doesn't ever make any passer-by feel that their dog is attacking them, and I believe that any responsible dog owner would agree.

We have a cocker spaniel. She is always kept on a lead, but has twice been bitten by other dogs while we have been out walking. I have to say that I completely agree with you that it is not enough for owners to let their dog off the lead on the basis that they will put it back on again when they meet someone, because very often that's just too late.

Another thing, different but related, is that if a dog is off the lead the owner can't see if and where it leaves a "deposit" and may therefore not clear it up.

Rgds, Andy

........I'm sure that if this had happened in the States this matter would have been cleared up. By simply shining a torch on the wound and likewise on the dogs jaw, the teethmarks could have been matched up and the dog and owner consequently would have faced justice [fried in an electric chair]

You did everything you could have done.

We have a cocker spaniel. She is always kept on a lead, but has twice been bitten by other dogs while we have been out walking. I have to say that I completely agree with you that it is not enough for owners to let their dog off the lead on the basis that they will put it back on again when they meet someone, because very often that's just too late.

Another thing, different but related, is that if a dog is off the lead the owner can't see if and where it leaves a "deposit" and may therefore not clear it up.

Rgds, Andy

Well, that's true, but right now, I'm a lot more concerned about the sharp end of the dog than the blunt end.

Feeling rather guilty now that we didn't take more action when our 10 year old son got bitten whilst walking a footpath through a farm on the Way Down West series. The owners were suitably shocked and took us in to clean the wound, etc, but having read the posts above I guess we should have reported it to protect those that follow us along that same footpath. We didn't want to cause the dog to be put down and didn't realise that there could be an alternative resolution.

Luckily the leg has healed without leaving a scar but he's very frightened of any dog that he sees or hears - hopefully with time that mental scar will heal too.

I've recently been bitten by a dog, so I'm able to make an informed decision about the relative merits of being bitten and being not bitten. That one bite led me to go to hospital for treatment, was painful even when lying down trying to sleep, and after two weeks it's still somewhat tender. I'm glad it didn't get infected; ion the hospital they told me that was a distinct possibilty, that's why they put me on antibiotics. I've learned that even a dog that has never bitten before, can, without warning, and for no apparent reason, inflict a nasty bite. As I said, I wouldn't attack a dog, I would only defend myself if I considered myself to be under attack. But I'm not going to wait until the dog actually has its teeth in my leg before taking action. This isn't proactive - it's reactive. I'll react if I believe that I'm under attack. I would hope that any dog owner who has a dog that makes people feel under attack, would keep it closely leashed, for the protection of the dog as well as any people around.

I agree with drsolly here. I've found that the majority of dog owners are mostly responsible but a few aren't. If a dog approaches me I'll usually ignore it, if it jumps up at me I'll push it away and if it persists I'll take whatever steps I feel are appropriate at the time to force it to stop. If I feel that the dog is a threat to me I'll take whatever steps I feel are necessary to neutralise the threat. IIRC the Dangerous Dogs Act describes a dog as being "dangerously out of control" if any member of the public has "a credible fear of injury" regardless of whether an injury is actually caused.

If I think there is a realistic chance of a dog biting me I'd rather neutralise the threat and face any legal consequences than not neutralise the threat and face the potential health damage. If I get fined it's a one-off cost, if I get badly bitten it could have much longer-term consequences.

We always take a dog dazer when walking in foreign countries. You never know what you may meet in the likes of Spain. It emits a high pitch noise, inaudible to humans, but will stop any dog in its tracks. Don't usually carry at home but have had occasions when it would have been useful and may carry it in future. I believe they are legal and don't cause any harm to the dog. Better to be safe than sorry.

Feeling rather guilty now that we didn't take more action when our 10 year old son got bitten whilst walking a footpath through a farm on the Way Down West series. The owners were suitably shocked and took us in to clean the wound, etc, but having read the posts above I guess we should have reported it to protect those that follow us along that same footpath. We didn't want to cause the dog to be put down and didn't realise that there could be an alternative resolution.

Luckily the leg has healed without leaving a scar but he's very frightened of any dog that he sees or hears - hopefully with time that mental scar will heal too.

I do think that any dog-caused injury should be reported to the police. In the case of the dog that bit me, even though the onwer denied it, if it happens again to someone else (and I think it will), then if they also report it, then I'd hope that the police would put two and two together and *require* that that particular dog be *always* muzzled when in a public place.

Unless we report these incidents, no action can happen.

If I think there is a realistic chance of a dog biting me I'd rather neutralise the threat and face any legal consequences than not neutralise the threat and face the potential health damage. If I get fined it's a one-off cost, if I get badly bitten it could have much longer-term consequences.

I agree. If I get fined for damaging a dog while walking in a public footpath, then I think I've got a pretty good legal defence (I'm not a lawyer, I'm just using common sense here) if my defence is that the dog was off its lead, and I thought that the dog was about to bite me. If that legal defence doesn't work, then I'd *still* rather pay whatever fine is levied on me, than be bitten by a dog again.

We always take a dog dazer when walking in foreign countries. You never know what you may meet in the likes of Spain. It emits a high pitch noise, inaudible to humans, but will stop any dog in its tracks. Don't usually carry at home but have had occasions when it would have been useful and may carry it in future. I believe they are legal and don't cause any harm to the dog. Better to be safe than sorry.

Outside the UK, the stakes are higher. We don't have rabes in this country, and from what I understand, if the dog that bites you has rabes, you're in *serious* trouble. And since you can't tell whether the dog is rabid or not, you'd have to be given anti-rabes shots (which I understand are *really* horrible).

So if I'm ever out walking on a public place outside the UK, and I thought a dog was acting aggressively or about to bite, I'd take strong action in my own defence, quite quickly, and if it turned out to be an over-reaction, I'll accept the consequences..

But, by the same token, I expect that dog walkers outside the UK keep their dogs closely leashed, because if their dog is bitten by a rabid fox (for example), then their dog gets rabes. And I'd guess that people being approached by an aggressive dog in countries where there is rabes, take strong action well before any bite could happen.

Outside the UK, the stakes are higher. We don't have rabes in this country, and from what I understand, if the dog that bites you has rabes, you're in *serious* trouble.

I have just read a report that says Germany is now rabies free since 2008. We had two dogs (a German shepherd and a Belgian shepherd), both were vaccinated agains rabies and other diseases. They were always on a leash when in towns (it is law here in Germany) and when anyone was close to us when when we were in a forest. I think the woman was irresponsible regards to her saying that her dog would not bite someone. All dogs bite, it might be in play for the dog but the person being bitten does not think so. Something I have learned when going to our dog school was that when a dog bites dont try to pull away from the bite (I know human reaction it to pull away) but push your arm into the mouth, the dog then gags. Pulling away will cause more injury as the teath are angled. Im sorry that you were bitten and hope it doesnt happen again.

Based on the experience that I had, all she has to do is deny it, then it's her word against his, and the police will take no action.

I was out caching today. I'd just done a cache, and I was hanging about near a style that led away from the bridlepath, when a couple with a dog walked down the bridlepath.

The dog went for me. Jumping at me and barking. With my new policy of "don't just wait to be bitten", I aimed a kick at the dog's head.

Fortunately (from the dog's point of view) I missed, because the dog saw it coming, and got out of the way. Then it realised that I wasn't going to be a passive victim, and that I was actually a large and dangerous animal, and left me alone. The couple, of course, scolded the dog in a "well done" tone of voice, didn't apologise to me, and when I told them that their dog was lucky not to have been injured as a result of its attack on me, I don't think they took it in. And the last I saw of them, their dog was still not in a leash.

So then, a couple of hours later, much the same thing happened (different dog), except that this time, the owner grabbed the dog before anything could happen.

I've been told in the past by dog owners, that wearing a hat is considered by dogs to be provocative. It's actually a cycling helmet, but I suppose dogs can't tell the difference, and I'm not going to stop wearing my protective cycling helmet because dogs don't like it.

So if you're a dog owner, and your dog is one of those that hates people wearing hats, maybe you need to explain to the dog that a hat isn't a signifier of an evil person. I don't know how you'll do that, but it's something that does need to be done.

And I repeat, for your dog's protection, if you see me at a distance in a public place, please put your dog on a close leash, because if attacked, I *will* defend myself.

I am not a dog owner now, but have had big dogs in the past (labradors). And shock horror walked them off the lead.

However they were well trained and never out of sight, and we always called them back and put them on a lead if other people approached or we where near a junction or turning we could not see around. (and picked up after them!)

The problem is a few ruin it for the rest. My dogs often got bit by other dogs, and many times we were blamed for putting our dogs on the lead, somehow the other owners said that made their dogs aggressive. My point was mine were on the lead so not near their out of control dogs so how could it be my problem. They should have prevented their dogs coming to mine.

One of the main reasons I wont have another dog now is because my old dog had such a hard time with other dogs as he aged, he wanted just to get out for a short sniff, he was not good on his legs for the last few weeks, then some stupid owner let their dog bound over and knock him over, causing loads of pain for Sam. People are just more ignorant now in all walks of life.

Anyhow to the main reason i replied to the above quote, I think its a slippery slope to tread to start thinking like that, how far do you take it? Do you expand the theory to other animals and people. Sorry officer i just whacked that teenage yob who was walking along the path because I perceived he was a threat to me and I wanted to get in first?

PS one of the worse attacks on Sam was at the only geocaching event we have been to, we had been there about 5 minutes and were still getting the picnic things out from the car, and sam was on the lead, when a rottie came over and just attacked him, spliting his ear and making him bled, even after that the geocacher owner never said sorry, nor did they put the dog on the lead. We didnt stay and havent been to another event since.

Edited by reddeeps
People are just more ignorant now in all walks of life.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you here.

Anyhow to the main reason i replied to the above quote, I think its a slippery slope to tread to start thinking like that, how far do you take it? Do you expand the theory to other animals and people. Sorry officer i just whacked that teenage yob who was walking along the path because I perceived he was a threat to me and I wanted to get in first?

If I perceive a teenage yob to represent an immediate threat I may take action to prevent him physically attacking me. To be clear even in the case of a dog I'm not talking about using deadly force just because a dog approaches me - if a dog approaches me I keep an eye on it. If it jumps up I push it away, if it keeps jumping up I'll use progressively more force against it based on what seems like the most appropriate response at the time. If it jumped up at me snarling then I'd probably skip initial options and use a lot of force right away. The point isn't to jump straight in and kill someone's dog because I don't like dogs, the point is that if a dog acts in a way that causes me to feel a credible threat of injury (and therefore "dangerously out of control" according to the Dangerous Dogs Act) I'll respond in a manner that puts my safety above the dog's safety. If that means the dog gets thumped so be it. If it means the dog gets a walking pole rammed down its throat so be it. If a dog owner doesn't want that to happen they need to keep their dog under control. It's not rocket science. So far the most force I've used against a dog was hitting it across the head after the third time it jumped up at me, and the most discomfort I caused a dog was when I grabbed its collar and dragged it a couple of hundred yards back to its owner who wasn't paying the blindest bit of attention to what it was doing (that dog had crossed well over the line of acceptable conduct but didn't appear to be an immediate danger).

In the same way if a teenager I didn't like the look of was walking near me then I figure he's got as much right to be there as I have. If a yob was shouting abuse from across the street I'd ignore it, if he got closer I'd be wary and if he really got in my face in a way I truly believed he was actually going to attack me then I may just move first before he had chance. Obviously I hope it never comes to that but if it did then I'd rather take my chances in front of a court with a credible justification of self-defence than take my chances against a yob when I don't know what the outcome might be.

I agree. Appropriate reaction is the key. I certainly wouldn't attack a dog that just came up to me for a sniff, but when a dog bounds towards me barking and/or growling, and then starts to jump at me, then it seems to me that the dog is saying "I'm going to hurt you." And it seems to me that I should defend myself *before* I actually get bitten, not after.

Before my dog-bite event, I always accepted owners assurances of "He never bites". Now I know that A) all that means is that he hasn't bitten yet, and B) there's at least one dog owner who is willing to lie about her dog's bites, even after she's seen the blood. So, I'm no longer willing to find out the hard way.

Today, I met another aggressive dog, accompanied by three women. The dog barked at me, and jumped at me, and their only reaction was to tell the dog to stop that. In my experience, the dog *never* takes the slightest notice. And this dog ignored their request.

So, after the dog had done his aggression at me for a little while, and started getting more and more aggressive, I told the owner to control her dog. Her reply was that it was either my bike that was causing the problem, or my biking helmet. Well, I don't accept that. It was her dog that was causing the problem, and after suffering its attacks for a while, I started to defend myself, with my boots.

The women were, of course, horrified. That someone who is being attacked by her dog, on a public bridleway, should defend himself! Appalling. And they told me so. And suggested that I ride off, because that would end the dog's aggression.

And I did ride off, risking beiong ambushed from behind like I had been a couple of weeks ago..

And the dog followed, still trying to attack me. But failing to get in a good bite from behind while my back was turned.

Eventually, I outpaced the dog. End of story. No injuries on my part, and the dog successfully dodged my boot.

You know, I don't think it's a few bad owners that spoil it for the majority. I think it's the majority of dog owners, who believe their dog to be harmless, and believe that it has a right to act aggressively towards people on a public bridleway, that spoil it for the minority of dog owners who ensure that their dogs aren't a problem to other people.

If a teenager, or person of any age, were to run towards me, shouting at me and waving a sharp knife, and threatening to stick the knife into me, I'd defend myself. Of course I would. Using whatever I had in my hand. And I wouldn't wait until they'd actually stuck the knife into me before defending myself.

It's no different from a dog running towards me, barking at me, and showing his sharp canine teeth, and threatening to bite me. I'll defend myself. And I won't wait until it's actually bitten me.

Since your horrible experience the other week you appear to be having more than your fair share of 'aggressive' dogs coming for you?

I can only assume that dogs are now aware of your fear ... (not that I came blame you one bit)

How to get around this .... is beyond me, but I just thought I would mention it.

I've noticed a lot more dogs wearing muzzles in the last year or so. I don't know whether that's because I'm in an area where dog owners are more responsible, feel they're likely to get prosecuted (or even have been prosecuted) if their dog bites, or because it has always been that way around Gloucester (although I've also encountered some aggressive, barking dogs and been afraid of them and reading this is helping a lot.)

If all the dogs you are encountering are local to you, drsolly, it might be worth finding out who your local dog warden is. I have heard they can be an excellent help. They want dog owners to be accountable for their dog's behaviour and to keep them under control, and on a lead where appropriate. They make it their business to know who the local dog owners are and where they walk, and which ones are potential menaces. I've known dog wardens help with fines and prosecutions when members of the public have sent them photos of dogs with their owners breaking the law.

Actually, that's another thing to consider adding to your armoury - a camera (or a camera phone) to capture images of the dog with owner, car and so on.

--snip--

If all the dogs you are encountering are local to you, drsolly, it might be worth finding out who your local dog warden is. I have heard they can be an excellent help. They want dog owners to be accountable for their dog's behaviour and to keep them under control, and on a lead where appropriate. They make it their business to know who the local dog owners are and where they walk, and which ones are potential menaces. I've known dog wardens help with fines and prosecutions when members of the public have sent them photos of dogs with their owners breaking the law.

Actually, that's another thing to consider adding to your armoury - a camera (or a camera phone) to capture images of the dog with owner, car and so on.

+1.

Since your horrible experience the other week you appear to be having more than your fair share of 'aggressive' dogs coming for you?

I can only assume that dogs are now aware of your fear ... (not that I came blame you one bit)

How to get around this .... is beyond me, but I just thought I would mention it.

No, it's about the same number of aggressive dogs. The difference is, not that I'm afraid of them, but I now have a lower tolerance for being threatened (and the barking, jumping and show of teeth is clearly a threat display) without asking the owner to control their dog, and when they don't, defending myself.

So why don't they control their dogs? I think it's partly that they can't; they call the dog and the dog takes absolutely no notice. And it's partly that they don't see a problem. They little furry pet doesn't bite.

I've noticed a lot more dogs wearing muzzles in the last year or so. I don't know whether that's because I'm in an area where dog owners are more responsible, feel they're likely to get prosecuted (or even have been prosecuted) if their dog bites, or because it has always been that way around Gloucester (although I've also encountered some aggressive, barking dogs and been afraid of them and reading this is helping a lot.)

I'm glad this discussion is helping you!

No, they aren't local to me; I range far and wide when I go out caching, maybe 100 km from home.

Yes, I have a camera on my phone, and you're right, it's a good idea to use it. Next time I get an aggressive dog, I'll take a picture of it and tell the owner that it's being reported to the police. And then ask for their name and address.

I didn't know about dog wardens. How can I find out the contact details for them?

I didn't know about dog wardens. How can I find out the contact details for them?

Usually under the District Council.

Local Police usually know/know how to contact the local warden.

Pet Shops? (Dog Warden often keeps a check on their license to keep animals*)

Any animal rescue centre's around? -especially dog rescue- they all know the local dog warden.

Or the vets.

*Dog Wardens often do more than "stray/lost dog" stuff! :laughing:

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I just did a few random googles of

Petersfield dog warden

Watford dog warden

Norwich dog warden

and each one threw up a link to a page with an Email address and phone number for the relevant service.

I just did a few random googles of

Petersfield dog warden

Watford dog warden

Norwich dog warden

and each one threw up a link to a page with an Email address and phone number for the relevant service.

I Googled "Wantage dog warden" and phoned the number that came up. That took me to the local council, and they said that they don't have a dog warden, and anyway dog bites need to be reported to the police.

So I suspect that the dog warden idea isn't really useful, and people bitten by a dog (or harmed in any other way), should report it to the police.

I think what I should have done is ask the lady "Please hold your dog while I take a photograph of him" (which would, of course, have included a picture of her), and also take a picture of my bleeding leg. Perhaps that would have been sufficiently strong evidence for her to be less likely to deny that her dog had bitten me. The trouble was, at that point I was in a state of considerable shock, because this had never happened to me before, and all I really wanted at that time was to make distance between me and a dangerous animal.

Next time ... hopefully there won't be a next time, because my policy now is defend myself against aggressive (barking, jumping up at me, showing teeth and threatening to bite) dogs.

I was biking down a track today, and caught up with a lady and three dogs. The Alsatian, as soon as it saw me, ran at me, barking and showing teeth. I yelled at the lady "CONTROL YOUR DOGS", and to my surprise and great pleasure, she did! She called the Alsatian, who broke off its display of aggression and went to her, and she put it, and the other dogs, on leads, and made them sit.

I was very impressed, and told her so, and she apologised for the initial display, but I told her, not a problem, she has well trained dogs there.

Then in the pub later, I was talking to a guy who said he'd been bitten by a dog while caching, in a public place, and still had the scar. He didn't report it to the police, and another cacher was bitten by the same dog soon after.

I believe that it's very important to report dog bites to the police, that's the only way that bad owners can be forced to take action (such as muzzling their dog in public). And you're not doing this for yourself, you're doing it for the sake of the next person or child that the dog bites.

If you're bitten by a dog, here's what to do.

1) Get the details of the owner; name and address. And take a picture of them while they hold their dog. And take a picture of your wound. If you can see the owner's car, write down the registration number. and take a picture of it.

2) As soon as you get back to your car, first aid. Use disinfectant on the bite (I used hand cleaner, which stings, the stuff I used is pretty much alcohol, it's Milton).

3) Visit a hospital, or your doctor. I went to the "Small injuries unit" at Mount Vernon; they recleaned the bite, put iodine on it (ouch ouch ouch), and a plaster. And gave me a course of antibiotics (a dog's mouth isn't clean), and a tetanus shot.

4) Report the incident to the police. They *will* take action, even if it's just a warning visit to the owner (who, in my case, denied that it happened).

I believe that it's very important to report dog bites to the police, that's the only way that bad owners can be forced to take action (such as muzzling their dog in public). And you're not doing this for yourself, you're doing it for the sake of the next person or child that the dog bites.

Agreed.

I'm sure if Mrs "Wasn't my dog..." gets her name given to the police often enough, someone will twig "Maybe it IS the dog..."

Glad things worked out today. :)

All animals have the potential to attack. Trained or not, they are still animals with deep seated instincts.

I have a fear of dogs, and they know it! I try to walk by casually and dogs snarl at me. I've had a few owners state that their dogs never do that! They must sense the fear or some chemical I release.

Even tiny dogs scare me. I'm an animal lover, but I try to avoid animals so I don't scare them. Because that's when they may attack.

I just stay as far away from a dog as I can. We have a leash law in the parks here and often owners do no heed. When I see an unleashed dog and owner coming toward me I either freeze up, or climb a bench. They can usually tell and they gather the dog up and leash it.

The sad fact here is you'll probably find the police reaction is exactly the same as what's happened to Solly - your word against theirs, and I say this from past personal experience. There are some dogs that act like people, and there are some people that act like dogs.

This sounds like a great idea - and you may not even need to purchase the hardware - if you have a smartphone I believe there are certain apps that can replicate that.

I grew up with dogs, but unfortunately I would consider myself and my family in the past in one of the less responsible owners group - thankfully we kept only small dogs and never had a bite incident (though one of ours got attacked by a bigger dog). I don't own dogs now but if I do in future I already know that the way I treat them will be very different to how I was 'trained' to handle them.

One word of advise if you are being confronted by an aggressive dog, do not run - this is a confirmation for the dog that you are weaker and therefore fair game, instead stand your ground as much as possible whilst not actually staring the dog in the eye. Try to look above them and stand still but not coming across aggressively.

I wonder, Solly, if the alsation was eyeing you up - perceiving you as a potential threat or fighting partner even though you may not have even noticed. All the while you are talking to the owner, the dog is having a quiet stand-off with you, the moment you turned is when he saw that as him 'winning' and lashed out as he percieved you retreating. It doesn't justify the irresponsible owner or the bite, but perhaps explains the motivations of the dog here..

Therefore, another piece of advice, if you spend some time chatting to a dog owner and the dog either seems threatening, or even if it seems placid but all the while it's focused on you, or perhaps it's just a big dog and you don't want to take chances... when the conversation is over wait for the dog owner to depart first, and take their dog with them before you turn and be on your way. This way a dog that in it's mind thinks it is having a stand-off will be forced to 'retreat' first and will not be able to attack - or at the very least you will see it coming!

One word of advise if you are being confronted by an aggressive dog, do not run - this is a confirmation for the dog that you are weaker and therefore fair game, instead stand your ground as much as possible whilst not actually staring the dog in the eye. Try to look above them and stand still but not coming across aggressively.

That's what I've always done in the past. But what I'm now doing in addition, is shift my weight slightly so that I'm prepared to kick an attacking dog with my heavy walking boot. Obviously I wouldn't actually kick a dog unless I was defending myself. This worked fine when I had to use that tactic a few days ago. Of course, maybe the dog that was then barking, growling, jumping at me and showing its teeth, wouldn't actually have bitten me. But I'm no longer prepared to wait to defend myself until I'm actually bitten.

I wonder, Solly, if the alsation was eyeing you up - perceiving you as a potential threat or fighting partner even though you may not have even noticed. All the while you are talking to the owner, the dog is having a quiet stand-off with you, the moment you turned is when he saw that as him 'winning' and lashed out as he percieved you retreating. It doesn't justify the irresponsible owner or the bite, but perhaps explains the motivations of the dog here..

What happened after the little chat, was she got on her bike and rode off (in the opposite direction to the one I was heading). Then I got on mine, and was just about to push off, when I got bitten.

You see - I didn't turn. The dog followed her, but then turned and attacked me; the dog ambushed me from behind.

So, my future policy, is not to let a dog get behind me, and to continually be ready, until the dog is a distance away, to defend myself by kicking the dog in the head.

That's what I've always done in the past. But what I'm now doing in addition, is shift my weight slightly so that I'm prepared to kick an attacking dog with my heavy walking boot. Obviously I wouldn't actually kick a dog unless I was defending myself. This worked fine when I had to use that tactic a few days ago. Of course, maybe the dog that was then barking, growling, jumping at me and showing its teeth, wouldn't actually have bitten me. But I'm no longer prepared to wait to defend myself until I'm actually bitten.

What happened after the little chat, was she got on her bike and rode off (in the opposite direction to the one I was heading). Then I got on mine, and was just about to push off, when I got bitten.

You see - I didn't turn. The dog followed her, but then turned and attacked me; the dog ambushed me from behind.

So, my future policy, is not to let a dog get behind me, and to continually be ready, until the dog is a distance away, to defend myself by kicking the dog in the head.

Hmm... perhaps by adopting an aggressive stance already (due to fear/past experience) the dog was picking up on that... but like I say I don't want to create an excuse for the owner. At the end of the day I think you've handled it best you could and I agree completely the dog should be muzzled - especially an alsation! People don't realise that different breeds don't just have physical genetic features, they also have psychological genetic features - they were originally bred for specific tasks.

I personally think all dog owners should have to take out a license and insurance... in the UK at least where too many irresponsible people are allowed to own dogs - for the safety of people and also for the health of the dogs themselves who are often mistreated or deprived of proper training.

So it wasn't on a lead at all then?