Bitten by a dog

drsolly

As I was doing this cache, I could see a cyclist, with dogs, coming toward me. I rehid the cache, then sat on my bike to set up the GPS for the next cache.

The lady cyclist stopped and asked me if I was ok, she thought maybe I had a puncture? I assured her that everything was fine, and isn't there a great view here? She pointed out the fields of poppies, I agreed that they looked lovely, and we went our separate ways.

But as I started off on my bike, her alsation bit me. Hard. On the calf and shin. There was no warning, no bark, no growl, and I can't see any reasom why it would have done it. I made a very loud noise, a bellow of pain, and then shouted "Your dog just bit me!"

She didn't believe me. Her dog doesn't bite. Yes he does, he just bit me. He doesn't bite. Yes he does. "Show me," she challenged. So I rolled up my trouser leg, showed her the blood and the teeth marks.

Her next defence was "He was trying to bite the bicycle, and missed". I told her that this was ridiculous; he aimed for my leg and got it.

Then she started to apologise, which didn't actually make my leg feel any better. I told her she needed to control that dog, there's other people walking here, and now it's a known biter. I didn't see her telling the dog that it had done anything wrong; I think the dog has got away with this. So far. Will she muzzle the dog in future in public places? I suspect not. That dog is a menace.

After a couple more caches, I spotted her car; there was only one car there, it had a bike rack, and evidence of pet ownership. So tomorrow, I'll be calling the police to report the dog bite. If a dog is allowed one bite, then someone has to know that this dog has had its allocation.

I stopped and wiped the wound with a KFC hand-wipe, and when I got back to the car, I swabbed it with hand cleaner (which is almost pure alcohol), which stung badly, but is a strong disinfectant. And put a gauze over it. And then, later on, I visited the Mount Vernon hospital, where they gave it a thorough washing, and lots of iodine, which stung even more. And a course of antibiotics, because dogs mouths aren't exactly clean.

Lesson to learn? A dog can bite you, out of the blue, for no apparent reason. I hadn't known that. I thought you got growls, and bared teeth, and barking before an actual attack. But I was ambushed from behind, while I wasn't paying any attention to the dog or its owner, while I was about to push off on the bike. And when she said it had never done that before - I believe her; she seemed completely bewildered by her dog's biting me. Which tells me that, even a dog that has been well behaved for a long time, can suddenly decide to bite a stranger for no reason.

Nope. A dog, even one with no history of it, can bite anyone, at any time, without warning or any apparent motivator. You can't think in human terms. There are many things that can provoke a dog that we would not give any thought at all to including sounds and smells we don't even know exist.

This is why I always try to be in a non-threatening defensive posture any time someone's dog, leashed or not, gets within about 10 feet of me. I won't provoke an animal, but I have a hiking staff with a carbide tip and I'm not afraid to jab it into a dog that is coming at me. I was attacked when I was a kid and that was enough for me. I love dogs but I won't be a chew toy for them.

I just love when some dog owner assures me that "Oh, it's OK. He doesn't bite." Well, yeah. He doesn't bite YOU, but he don't know me and I don't know him. Get the thing away from me!

If I were in your place I would report the bite to the authorities immediately and stick to your guns. Don't let the authorities or the dog owner get you to back down. I'm glad you got the bite seen. They can get quite nasty quite quickly. I hope it heals up quickly and cause you no further trouble.

i am going to help with this thread being on the wrong forum. :rolleyes: .. I will give you a dollar for a picture of the dog who bit you, let me know how much is the GPs that you are currently using (must include blood from the incident or at least the KFC wipe) :P

LOL 8=)

Okay I will join the fun.

I thought you were selling a GPS that was bitten by a dog.

Good choice reporting the bite to the authorities. Too many people put their pets above other peoples safety and comfort and will not control them appropriatly.

Enjoy the hunt and maybe keep some dog treats with you. Apparently a dog will not bite the hand that feeds it. (treats that is.) :rolleyes:

G

Oops, I posted this to the wrong forum; I've reposted it in the UK forum. Could a mod close this thread? Thanks

I see no problem with it being in the regular geocaching topics forum, as all cachers should be aware of these kinds of issues.

Was the animal in question on a leash, and is there a leash law in effect?

I was a paperboy for many years when I was a kid. Dogs can act very friendly and turn on you for no reason. I always approach strange dogs (dogs that I don't own) as possible hostiles. Always greet the owner and the dog, using a calm even friendly voice. Don't make sudden movements, and if possible always have something between you and the dog. In your scenario, I would have gotten off my bike and kept it between me and the lady's dogs.

Pepper spray or as stated in previous responses a walking stick or bag can be used a defense and as a deterrent if the dog continues the attack. I've used a paper carriers bag as a shield when a doberman attacked me and a newspaper as a deterrent. That dog didn't touch me, and he never bothered me again. (That was a worse case scenario though).

I hope the OP follows through with filing a complaint against the lady and her dog, she sounds like she is in denial that her dog can be aggressive and that can be a problem for others in the future.

Thanks, drsolly, for posting this. Even if it was at the expense of your leg. :blink:

I own a dog and go caching with her often. She's well-mannered and sticks close to me when hiking, and I'll admit, sometimes I get lax about the leash especially when searching for a remote cache. I'd much rather get a wake-up-call on the forums, than have her chomp on someone when I least expect! I can sympthasize with the dog owner about being surprised... at first. But after the inital shock, shame on her for basically denying it and thinking you're a liar. Good dog owners are not only love their animals but are also aware that they are indeed animals, not furry humans.

Edited by Allie.McG

Last summer, I wanted to go for a cache on the Baker Trail. This is an old established hiking trail that runs across private property at times, but everybody knows about it when they got their property, so they are OK with hikers skirting their yard or driveway or whatever. The first time I was going for it, I turned back because when it got to the end of a road and up a guy's driveway, he had no trespassing signs everywhere. The next time I went back, I looked more closely and he had a "Hikers welcome" sign and also a "Beware of dog" sign. So I went up the driveway, where he was working in his shop. I greeted the landowner and chatted for a bit. I also met his dog and he seemed friendly, even wanting to go with me. Well, I went on the trail into the woods for a good long time until almost dusk. On my way back out, nobody was around. Then the dog came running up the driveway, all happy to see me. "Hey buddy!" I said, just before the dog bit my arm. I let out a yell, which caused the dog to run off and the landowner to come out. He immediately yelled at the dog and then locked him up. Then he ran to the house to get peroxide and bandages. We got me all cleaned up and good to go. We chatted for awhile and he also gave me his number and apologized all over the place. A couple of days later, I got all of the dog's vaccination records for peace of mind.

So, yes, even the friendly dogs bite sometimes. If it's not on a leash, be careful. I used to pet strangers' dogs, but now I keep my distance. Fortunately, I dealt with a dog owner that took responsibility for the problem and was helpful. That right there makes a big difference.

I'm thinking about carrying pepper spray for future run-ins, though. Last week I was in Michigan on a trail and I passed this guy that had the biggest german shepherd you'd ever seen. That dog was trying with everything it had to get at me. Fortunately the owner was pretty built and had control of the leash. But that dog was powerful and if it had gotten loose, I would have had more than just a little scar on my arm.

Lesson 1: Carry a mobile phone

Lesson 2: If you are bit, call 911.

You should be reporting this for your own health and safety. You were assaulted by an animal in the care of someone else. It may not have Rabies, but the dog could have other diseases transmitted by blood. You need a record of this if your physio finds you have something.

The OP & the replies couldn't be more truthful. Dogs that are otherwise sweet & loving often have "triggers" from past experiences.

I had a friend at one time that wished me to dog sit for her. She had adopted a dog recently from a shelter. This was a big dog! I had previously met this dog, & it had a very calm, nice disposition. I had no problem accepting the responsibility, and went to her home several times a day to take care of this dog while she was on vacation. What neither of us knew, (as she is southern like me, & has an "open door" policy when it comes to friends visiting) was that when someone rang the doorbell, this dog turned into a huge problem.

I'm talking HUGE problem. I don't know if it was the Fedex man, a Jehovah's Witness, a mormon, or what at the door, because I never made it there. The dog flipped out, and began chasing me through the house trying to attack me. Snarling, barking, trying to bite, trying to corner me, the whole nine yards. It certainly wouldn't let me near the door. I ended up standing on the kitchen table warding him off with a broom for quite a long time. The dog eventually left the room (to go check out the front door) long enough for me to jump down & run through the back door into the garage. I left out the garage door & called my friend & told her what happened.

Since she was still on vacation, she still needed someone to watch her dog. So, the next day I did return, but I disabled the doorbell. The dog was fine after that, although I still did not trust him & was only there long enough to take care of his basic needs until my friend returned.

The point being, you never know what's going to set a dog off. If the dog has ever been in a bad situation, similar things might set it off in the future. Some dogs don't like people that wear hats, some don't like men, some don't like women, or children. Some are just fine & dandy, until you pick up a rake to do yard work..

A PP said it best: always be careful around dogs that you don't OWN.. Even if you've met it before.

Yikes, sorry this happened to you. Looks like you did everything right.

This is why I tell me children to never approach or touch a strange dog, even it seems friendly.

A 3 year old getting bit by a dog is much more serious than an adult getting bit.

You're right. It's also a great deal more likely. As adults we know what not to do around a dog to make aggression a probability. Children can easily do these things unknowingly. A dog toy can look a lot like a child's toy, after all...

Shortly after I moved to California there was the spectacular event in San Francisco of a woman being mauled to death by dogs, while the owner was present and unable to control them. What triggered it? There was only speculation - the dogs were put down.

I give dogs and dog owners their space. I was a paper boy and that was one thing I took away from that job, be wary around dogs.

I used to deliver flowers, and learned to be very attentive to signs that a dog was present.

I went to one house in the middle of a weekday afternoon, and was pretty sure as I approached the house that no one was home. I did see a jon boat on a trailer next to the house. Behind the empty carport was a doghouse with the name "Roy" painted over the door. A labrador retriever was wagging his tail in the driveway.

Most labradors I've met have been friendly and calm. This one looked that way, until I got within 10 feet of him. Then he started snarling and growling. And coming towards me.

I quickly mentally processed the data at hand... boat, hunting dog. He's probably trained. I know his name. "Roy! Sit!"

It worked! He sat and looked at me like "Oh, you speak dog. I guess you're ok."

I was bitten by a dog while working (I make home visits as an RN) and it was very scary even though I wasn't seriously hurt. But I sure could have been.

I didn't even consider calling 911 but my supervisor did have me call Animal Control so the dog could be quarantined until their rabies status was ascertained.

Thankfully, a dog bite typically carries less chance of infection than you might think. I remember the doc at the urgent care said that human mouths are WAY more bacteria-laden than dog mouths.

Kinda makes you think about kissing in a different way. :laughing:

Can i get up with a speculaton about why the dog attacked you

1. The dog wanted his owner to care off him, not you

2. he maybe don't like your smell

i love dogs, specially my fathers brothers golden retriever Frasse who are very kind,

atleast when his owner are near

After having a dog who looked like she wanted to kill my dogs "accidentally" nip my gloved finger and barely scratch the skin, I learned the most important first question should be, "Is the dog vaccinated for rabies?" When I reported this to the local health department, they told me I had to find this out or they would recommend the shots for me--even though the skin was just barely scraped open. I freaked out and finally had to put signs up in the neighborhood areas where dogs are walked, as time was running out. Some good samaritan told me the street he thought lived on and I was fully prepared to knock on every door on this long street. The first person we asked told us they lived on a Court off the street and we left a note for the owner. He was totally shocked I was "injured" in the fracas and gave me all the info I needed. This pitbull had a harness on but managed to do a flip and come out of it. Owner said he tried to walk them in "off" hours, but I walked my dogs very early then. The point of this is you do need to find out vaccination info in any situation where the skin is broken.

I spoke with the dog, and he said he bit because you found the cache, but didn't sign the log.

I swear that wasn't my dog...

Hrm... Well, it might have been wearing glasses... is Knowschad a "puritan" cacher? I can hardly remember who is who around here... still pretty new... :lol:

I consider myself to be a dog person, as I kinda understand where they are coming from, and treat them with the respect due any critter with sharp teeth. As a cop, approaching houses is something I do all the time. In the rural community I work in, the residents mostly ignore things like leash laws and vaccinations, choosing instead to deny ownership of any dog that becomes aggressive.

For the most part, this isn't a problem, as a calm, forthright manner will dispel any concerns felt by the average pooch, making them less likely to bite. But over the years, there have been some exceptions. It's become a fad amongst crack dealers to raise the most aggressive dogs possible, and when we show up at their door, they literally throw the dog at us, so they can effect an escape. That can get ugly real fast, as 60 pounds of snarling pit bull is flying at your face. Thankfully, I haven't had to utilize deadly force to deal with any of these airborne pooches, but many of my peers have. In each of these instances, the crack dealer's family criticized the deputy who shot their dog. Not a pleasant situation.

To date, (knock on wood), I've only had a dog of mine bite one person. He was installing cable at our house, and the dog in question was a rather large boxer/lab mix. Random had never displayed outright aggression toward anyone, but he was rather defensive about his castle, barking when folks came on the property. I figured "Better safe than sorry", and put Random in a harness, on a 2' lead, affixed to the rails of my garage door. This gave him shade, and just enough length to sit up or lay down. I told the cable dude to use the sidewalk if he needed to go from his truck to the front door, as I was concerned about him being bitten by Random. The suggested route would have kept him at least 30' from my dog. Random didn't display any aggressive tendencies during the cable guy's visit, but did show interest, as he would sit up and thump his tail whenever the cable guy walked by. I guess the cable guy interpreted this seemingly friendly demeanor to mean he could walk up to Random and pat him on the head. When he turned away from Random to continue inside, Random bit him right on the butt. Thankfully, he was wearing jeans, and the skin didn't get penetrated. Within a few minutes, I had Volusia County Sheriff's Office, Fire-Rescue and animal control over to treat any possible injuries and to document the bite, even though cable dude said he was fine and I shouldn't bother. I learned a valuable lesson that day; even a dog you own, have trained properly, and come to trust can bite when unprovoked.

Enjoy the hunt and maybe keep some dog treats with you. Apparently a dog will not bite the hand that feeds it. (treats that is.) :rolleyes:

UNTIL you run out of treats! Goes for 'tame' wildlife as well, which is why one should never feed them. I sometimes wish the wildlife had to observe the rules as well. NEVER feed on the humans / human stuff. Dang bears!

Reminds me of the line "This dog will eat off your hand... all the way up to your elbow!"

If the dogs were on a leash in this case, and the owner on a bicycle, she was at risk of crashing. I've seen it many times when a dog takes off laterally to the direction of travel, or cuts across in front.

Doug 7rxc

I consider myself to be a dog person, as I kinda understand where they are coming from, and treat them with the respect due any critter with sharp teeth. As a cop, approaching houses is something I do all the time. In the rural community I work in, the residents mostly ignore things like leash laws and vaccinations, choosing instead to deny ownership of any dog that becomes aggressive.

For the most part, this isn't a problem, as a calm, forthright manner will dispel any concerns felt by the average pooch, making them less likely to bite. But over the years, there have been some exceptions. It's become a fad amongst crack dealers to raise the most aggressive dogs possible, and when we show up at their door, they literally throw the dog at us, so they can effect an escape. That can get ugly real fast, as 60 pounds of snarling pit bull is flying at your face. Thankfully, I haven't had to utilize deadly force to deal with any of these airborne pooches, but many of my peers have. In each of these instances, the crack dealer's family criticized the deputy who shot their dog. Not a pleasant situation.

To date, (knock on wood), I've only had a dog of mine bite one person. He was installing cable at our house, and the dog in question was a rather large boxer/lab mix. Random had never displayed outright aggression toward anyone, but he was rather defensive about his castle, barking when folks came on the property. I figured "Better safe than sorry", and put Random in a harness, on a 2' lead, affixed to the rails of my garage door. This gave him shade, and just enough length to sit up or lay down. I told the cable dude to use the sidewalk if he needed to go from his truck to the front door, as I was concerned about him being bitten by Random. The suggested route would have kept him at least 30' from my dog. Random didn't display any aggressive tendencies during the cable guy's visit, but did show interest, as he would sit up and thump his tail whenever the cable guy walked by. I guess the cable guy interpreted this seemingly friendly demeanor to mean he could walk up to Random and pat him on the head. When he turned away from Random to continue inside, Random bit him right on the butt. Thankfully, he was wearing jeans, and the skin didn't get penetrated. Within a few minutes, I had Volusia County Sheriff's Office, Fire-Rescue and animal control over to treat any possible injuries and to document the bite, even though cable dude said he was fine and I shouldn't bother. I learned a valuable lesson that day; even a dog you own, have trained properly, and come to trust can bite when unprovoked.

I just had to say.. I love the fact that while explaining that your dog displayed behavior that he doesn't normally engage in, you included his name. Which happened to be Random. :D

Having ridden 10's of thousands of miles over the decades Susancycle and I have had our share of run-ins with dogs while bicycling. When we lived in an area without a leash law we carried protection and only suffered one minor lower extremity bite.

We have rarely encountered loose dogs in our current area as there are strict leash laws. About 5 July 4ths ago, however, we were riding side by side on a two lane road with full width shoulders when a large yellow lab came bolting out of a yard from around a stand of trees giving us no time to react. Rather than going for a leg, though, this dog ran full speed directly into S'cycle's crank like a torpedo into the side of a ship. This knocked her into me and I spiraled out into the road. Seeing an oncoming truck in the opposite lane I crashed the bike in the other lane and avoided being hit. S, meanwhile had been knocked off her bike and landed directly on her helmet. The helmet cracked, as it is designed to do, but the impact was so severe that she suffered a gash in the scalp under it. She lost consciousness and we got a trip in the ambulance to the local ER for a CT and 7 stitches in her head. The lady claimed her dog had never done anything like that and they had only let it off leash as a treat on the holiday. S, who has a PhD in a hard science, lost about 30 IQ points from a severe concussion. She fully recovered but it took more than a month for her to feel like her brain wasn't stuffed with cotton.

The OP's offender is doubly to blame. Not only is the dog loose but she is on a bicycle and therefore totally unable to control it. My absolute favorites are people on bikes holding a leash with a dog on the other end. Insanity. When we see this on a path we just dismount and hide until they are past.

My absolute favorites are people on bikes holding a leash with a dog on the other end. Insanity. When we see this on a path we just dismount and hide until they are past.

Hmmmm..... I do this all the time with my Black Lab. It's the best exercise she gets. I ride through the neighborhood near our house. She's used to the cadence and the way to run next to the bike. One time only she went off-path, towards a dog that was snarling at me and running as if to attack. A quick yank on the choke collar and we were back on-route. No problems.

To each hir own, I suppose.

My absolute favorites are people on bikes holding a leash with a dog on the other end. Insanity. When we see this on a path we just dismount and hide until they are past.

Hmmmm..... I do this all the time with my Black Lab. It's the best exercise she gets. I ride through the neighborhood near our house. She's used to the cadence and the way to run next to the bike. One time only she went off-path, towards a dog that was snarling at me and running as if to attack. A quick yank on the choke collar and we were back on-route. No problems.

Did that when my dog (yes, I have a dog) was a pup. Everything was going fine until pup had to poop. I broke two ribs when I went down.

Did that when my dog (yes, I have a dog) was a pup. Everything was going fine until pup had to poop. I broke two ribs when I went down.

There was a man doing this by our house, I had just pulled out of our driveway, so was going very slowly and able to stop when the dog pulled him into the road in front of my car. Don't think he'll be doing that any more.

I'm sorry, but this made me smile and laugh. Yeah, mine has "stopped short" a couple of times for that. I have her on a 12 foot leash, though. I keep about 8 feet wrapped up in my hand just for this issue.

Again, sorry to laugh at your broken ribs, but I can totally identify with the problem (if not the result).

Here in the States you can buy very small spray cans of pepper spray that work well as dog repellants. It wouldn't have solved your situation (where the dog bit suddenly, out of nowhere), but it can come in handy. It might be a nice thing to have in a caching kit.

Here's an example: http://tinyurl.com/6l3lbul

From what I've been told, there are a lot of breeds which don't react negatively to pepper spray. It may work in a "I got something sprayed in my face" sense but it won't have the effect that it has on people. It'll just get the dog madder.

From what I've been told, there are a lot of breeds which don't react negatively to pepper spray. It may work in a "I got something sprayed in my face" sense but it won't have the effect that it has on people. It'll just get the dog madder.

I've not heard of dogs that are resistant to pepper spray. The spray called "Halt" is made especially for dogs. I'm thinking that even a "resistant" dog will pause for a few seconds, which is better than none.

Do you know which breeds are supposedly resistant?

Edited by HistDrew

I've not heard of dogs that are resistant to pepper spray. The spray called "Halt" is made especially for dogs. I'm thinking that even a "resistant" dog will pause for a few seconds, which is better than none.

This is only remotely related, but it does show that some animals (black bears, in this case) can be resistant to pepper spray: http://www2.gi.alask...ASF12/1245.html

And this site may be somewhat biased, but they state that some dogs are resistant to the stuff: http://rescueapitbull.com/pitbullmyths.html

Edited by knowschad

This is only remotely related, but it does show that some animals (black bears, in this case) can be resistant to pepper spray: http://www2.gi.alask...ASF12/1245.html

And this site may be somewhat biased, but they state that some dogs are resistant to the stuff: http://rescueapitbull.com/pitbullmyths.html

We have a problematic dog owner in my neighborhood who has a Pit Bull. I asked a friend whose father is a retired state trooper to ask him what they used to handle aggressive Pit Bulls (so I could protect myself) and his immediate response was "9mm - only thing that works for sure."

Also, from http://rescueapitbull.com/pitbullmyths.html :

Myth-Pit Bulls are the only breed that does not respond to pepper spray. The fact is that many other dog breeds display a resistance to pepper spray when they are attacking. It is not unusual for pepper spray to not work on all dogs just as it does not work on all humans.

Edit: He beat me on the edit!

Edited by dakboy