West Virginia Geocoin Challenge

Alphadog

We are considering a fall geocaching trip to do the West Virginia Geocoin Challenge. We have our Playbook and see that the area needing to be covered is quite extensive. Would welcome suggestions as to the best place(s) to stay in order to be as centrally located as possible. Or would it be best to complete one area (farthest from home in CT), then move northeast to another hotel? Thanks! Alphadog from CT

We are considering a fall geocaching trip to do the West Virginia Geocoin Challenge. We have our Playbook and see that the area needing to be covered is quite extensive. Would welcome suggestions as to the best place(s) to stay in order to be as centrally located as possible. Or would it be best to complete one area (farthest from home in CT), then move northeast to another hotel? Thanks! Alphadog from CT

It would be way easier to do it as per your second suggestion. You could stay in Charleston, head SE one day then swing sw and back up US 119 (4 lane) to Charleston. The Huntington (western) area caches have a lot better roads but within easy reach of Charleston. Once you've cleaned up the southern half of the state you could move HQ to Morgantown or Clarksburg. Then jet over to the panhandle on your way home and finish the thing at Harper's Ferry before heading north.

If you have enough days, one of the caches is in Spencer (where I live and I'm the only active geocacher in the whole county). I also have a geotrail there called the Black Walnut Geotrail. It is 10 caches (park and grabs) that will take about 4 hrs or so to complete and you get a geocoin. Just throwing it out there if you wanted to double up your geocoinage for the trip. I also have a coupon for 25% off a bed & breakfast in Spencer that was given to me just for geocachers - if interested. It is not really a good location for a "home base" to squirt out to all the ExploreWV Geocoin Challenge caches since there are no 4-lane roads into town. If you've never traveled in WV before, beware...our roads are VERY curvy. The way the crow flies is double in mileage regarding feet/tires on the ground.

I agree with what WVAngler suggested. I am from where the Harpers Ferry cache is and we did the trail by staying over just one night. It was about 30 miles north of Charleston where we stayed. We started the morning at home and did about half the trail each of the 2 days. This was moving right along and we didn't do the whole trail just what we needed to complete it. We ended up with one extra. We managed to do a good many extra other caches but we were moving right along.

Keep in mind that in Charleston you have to do that one cache and they are not open on Mondays's. We ended up spending hours at the WV Museum. It just blew us away. We could have spent a few more hours so give yourself plenty of time on it. We almost did Anglers trail this past weekend and we still have it on our radar so if you have the time add that to your trip. Also there is the new Main Street caches as well. The State is very diverse and offers lots to do so the more time the better.

Good luck and if you plan on being in our area shoot us and email and we will send you our PAF info.

GR8caches