Pocket Query addition

Red Barron

Have you considered giving the option to use an icon other than waypoint dot in the query, so when your GPS gets full you could delete an entire set of waypoints?

A second idea would be to select caches along a line of longitude or latitude so when traveling the query would show caches along the route? Thanks for all you do. icon_smile.gif

It's true that add-ons will do this, but they are limited by their input data.

Right now I am planning a drive from California to Washington. Because of the 500 cache limit in pocket queries, I can't just do a query for each state and filter it down with Watcher. I am forced to do a series of overlapping 50-mile-radius queries along my route. At this point it looks like it will take at least 10 queries to cover the route that way. Oops, then there's the 5 query per day limit. So it'll take me at least two days just to gather the data. Then I can start filtering with Watcher.

It doesn't need to be this complicated. If we had the option of specifying a lat/long bounding box instead of just an origin and radius, planning a route like this would take far fewer queries. I could just draw a couple of long narrow rectangles along my route and be done with it.

That wouldn't just be a benefit for us users, either. Fewer queries = less server load. For that matter, a bounding box query would put a lot less load on the server than an origin/radius query, because there is much less math involved.

Dave

I agree with geo-ferrets. A bounding-box specification would be worthwhile. I have been to a few areas that I've had to setup a couple of querys to get caches in that area. One example was a trip to the Oregon coast. If I could have listed just NSEW boundary for caches that I'm searching for it would have been a lot easier and I could have done it on one query instead of 2 and without all the caches that are out of the nearby area that I had to filter out.

What I do is...

save the file as a .gpx

open the file in WordPad

click Edit

click Replace

under the 'find what' box, insert '<sym>Waypoint</sym>

under the 'replace with' box, insert '<sym>Geocache</sym>

click Replace All

save it and open the file in Easy/ExpertGPS and download to your GPSr.

What you get is all your caches shown with the Geocache icon. As you find them, change the icon to Geocache Found. Then after you've logged them, you can delete all Geocache Found icons at once.

Works for me, and once you get used to the procedure, it can be done fairly quickly. Pocket Queries and ExpertGPS is all I use. Hope this helps.

KYtrex

-----------------

Do it today because tomorrow it may be illegal.

quote:
Originally posted by KYtrex:

What I do is...

+ save the file as a .gpx

+ open the file in WordPad

+ click _Edit_

+ click _Replace_

+ under the _'find what'_ box, insert '<sym>Waypoint</sym>

+ under the _'replace with'_ box, insert '<sym>Geocache</sym>

+ click _Replace All_

+ save it and open the file in Easy/ExpertGPS and download to your GPSr.

What you get is all your caches shown with the _Geocache_ icon. As you find them, change the icon to _Geocache Found_. Then after you've logged them, you can delete all _Geocache Found_ icons at once.

Works for me, and once you get used to the procedure, it can be done fairly quickly. Pocket Queries and ExpertGPS is all I use. Hope this helps.

KYtrex

-----------------

Do it today because tomorrow it may be illegal.

Or, instead of doing all that, drag and drop the GPX file intoSpinner

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.