Barcelona Map

I had a quick search but couldn't find what I was looking for, so I need some help please.

I'm off to Barcelona this weekend, 24th June and would like to find a map of the city to download on to my Garmin Oregon 550t, a free one would be great. I have the installed base map but this seems to be less than useless, it only gives the main road through the city.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Thanks for the prompt reply. I've been on to the web page, followed the instructions and saved the file

" osm_routable_gmapsupp.zip 21-Jun-2011 08:54 165M Compressed file that contains a single image that can be placed directly onto the SD-card of the GPS. "

to the desk top, do I then just c on to the map folder on the gps?

Sorry bit of a novice at things like this :-)

Thanks for the prompt reply. I've been on to the web page, followed the instructions and saved the file

" osm_routable_gmapsupp.zip 21-Jun-2011 08:54 165M Compressed file that contains a single image that can be placed directly onto the SD-card of the GPS. "

to the desk top, do I then just c on to the map folder on the gps?

Sorry bit of a novice at things like this :-)

I suspect you'll need to 'unzip' it first and copy the uncompressed file.

I've dragged the file into the Garmin folder like all the other files "Zipped Still" and it's showing just like the others but it doesn't appear in the list of maps on the Oregon

I don't have an Oregon, but I would be surprised if it works unless you unzip it. I would unzip the file on your PC, which should give you a resulting file named something.IMG , then copy that file to the folder where the other maps are.

My Garmin 450 is at home but I recently geocached in Barcelona using the free FULL SPAIN map and it was excellent. I can't remember how to do it exactly (I'll update this when I get home) but I managed to keep on my 450 the full UK Explorer maps, the free UK maps and the free Spain map all at the same time and simply went into Setup/Maps to turn whichever I wanted on or off.

I didn't have to do any messing about, I simply copied one file over.

I'll set myself a reminder and update this in about 3 hours.

Hi I've spoken directly with Longfram Kev and we are at a dead end. The supposedly unzipped file is not showing the correct MB's. Should read around 514MB but he has confirmed as 115MB. He is using Winzip, but I cannot fathom why it is not showing as the correct unzipped file size.

He has a folder on his SD card named Garmin, but the file still shows as unzipped as far as I can tell.

I think we both need the A-team on this one.

A simple operation is proving somewhat harder than expected.

Hi I've spoken directly with Longfram Kev and we are at a dead end. The supposedly unzipped file is not showing the correct MB's. Should read around 514MB but he has confirmed as 115MB. He is using Winzip, but I cannot fathom why it is not showing as the correct unzipped file size.

He has a folder on his SD card named Garmin, but the file still shows as unzipped as far as I can tell.

I think we both need the A-team on this one.

A simple operation is proving somewhat harder than expected.

I would try two things:

1. Download the zip file again and unzip it, just in case something went awry during the previous download.

2. If 1. doesn't work then regenerate the map from scratch in case something went awry in the original creation process.

FWIW I've used this site myself to get maps of Spain for an Etrex Vista, and they worked fine.

Update:-

I tried with the help of Kevin - Chili-K to download and unzip the maps again but we still had no luck.

So I decided just to download the PQ I'd created for Barcelona.

When I searched for a cache I found it and the map was there, with the streets and street names and I could zoom down to 20 feet and map was still clear.

So I don't know what happened but I have street level maps and caches with out downloaded maps and I can now going caching in Barcelona.

The only problem I have now is I managed to delete my "National Parks Discovery map 1:50" from the SD card.

Can any one help me to get it back if that's at all possible or have I got to go and buy them again :-(

Thanks to all who gave advice about the first problem especially Chili-K and hopefully some one else can help me with the other problem :-)

Kevin