Hiking and Camping at the Enchantments

TotemLake

I have a permit with four maybe five slots open to hike to and camp at Colchuck Lake for 4 days on the week of August 9. My plan on this trip is to hike up to the lake on the first day and set up camp. Hike up to Aasgard pass and back on the next day from the lake. Fish and rest the following day and then pack up and get out on the fourth day. We have to stay at the lake. The permit I gained will not allow us to camp in the Core.

You don't have to follow my itinerary, but if you think it would be a kick to go up for a few days let me know.

I will need $5 per day per person to pay for the stay ahead of time. That's a 4 day fee and is the fee I'm charged. Payment not received 3 weeks before the date will forfeit your bid for one of the slots. Only individuals interested in the entire 4 days/3 nights need apply. If you go in for partial, I'm still stuck with the full fee.

Joining me so far, are Squarebear and LandRover.

Edited by TotemLake

I have a permit with four maybe five slots open to hike to and camp at Colchuck Lake for 4 days on the week of August 9. My plan on this trip is to hike up to the lake on the first day and set up camp. Hike up to Aasgard pass and back on the next day from the lake. Fish and rest the following day and then pack up and get out on the fourth day. We have to stay at the lake. The permit I gained will not allow us to camp in the Core.

You don't have to follow my itinerary, but if you think it would be a kick to go up for a few days let me know.

I will need $5 per day per person to pay for the stay ahead of time. That's a 4 day fee and is the fee I'm charged. Payment not received 3 weeks before the date will forfeit your bid for one of the slots. Only individuals interested in the entire 4 days/3 nights need apply. If you go in for partial, I'm still stuck with the full fee.

yesbut did you need to enter a lottery to get your Enchantment permit? This came up on a recent hike...

yesbut did you need to enter a lottery to get your Enchantment permit? This came up on a recent hike...

Yes. I entered the lottery, received the dates requested, confirmed and paid my fees to have the permit. I can modify the permit to include up to 8 people within 2 weeks before the date of the hike.

I have 3 slots left.

There are four requirements while camping on this permit per the usage guidelines.

1. We must camp in the same group.

2. If we separate during the day, you'll need to have my name and permit number handy upon a Ranger's challenge.

3. You cannot camp outside of the permitted area, that is, day trips to the Core is allowed, but you must be back at Colchuck Lake to spend the night.

4. Camp fires are not allowed.

Violation invalidates the permit for everyone and no refunds are provided.

I would love to join you if you still have a spot.

Is the first night Tues Aug 9th?

Are you planning to summit Colchuck or Dragontail?

Yes there are still 3 slots open and Tuesday night will be the first evening. (I think I told someone it was a Mon-Thu hike but you're right, it'll be a Tue-Fri hike)

We (or at least I) will be climbing up Aasgard Pass which is on the East side of Dragontail. Colchuck is West of Dragontail Peak with Colchuck Glacier between them. I figure if I get to the saddle, I'll be doing good. Time permitting I'd like to summit one of the peaks and I'm open to which one we go after. I'd like to make the descent in daylight hours. I don't care if the return on the trail proper to the established campsite is accomplished after sundown, but I don't like the idea of rock hopping in the dark with headlamps.

Latest trail report. We could be in snow.

http://www.wta.org/g...6-22.2977207325

Given the lingering snowpack, not to mention the tragedy that occurred Sunday, let's hope we have a lot less snow a month from now. If not, we'll be content to stay off Asgard Pass.

Same promise I made my wife. :)

LR, Thanks for your advisement.

CFM, Are you still in? I'll PM my address if you are.

TL, I still cant confirm 100%, but I will be happy to send you 20$ to hold the spot.

Please send me your address by PM. I have crampons helmet and ice axe and will bring them if reports indicate they are needed.

Sent. I'll make sure I have a good pair of binoculars with me so we can keep an eye on ya if you end up going solo.

I'm getting so excited for this trip!

Reduced my tent and sleeping bag weight to 5 pounds. Dehydrated a meal and tested it (edible). I had a failure on my steripen, but I hope to have that resolved, or will bring along a filtering device.

Here's a video from someone's trip last year. Warning, the footage is good, but the music is extremely cheesy, I recommend muting it.

Edited by chubby forest monkey

Reduced my tent and sleeping bag weight to 5 pounds. Dehydrated a meal and tested it (edible).

I think we've got our stuff down to about three pounds. We cut our sleeping bags off at the knees, cut the bottom out of the tent and removed some superfluous material from the rainfly (about 1/2). Huge improvement. I've been studying snake charming to see if I can get the tent to stay upright without the poles. Needs work, but shows promise.

Here's an awesome HD vid of the

to slaver over. Edited by B+L

Ok, in spite of actually carrying more for the trip, I've shaved my 70 lb pack to 56.

I have each of your email addresses programmed into my Spot and will be running a test at 8 PM tonight. Please let me know if you received it or not.

On Tuesday morning, if you haven't reached Leavenworth before I reached a good camp site, I will be sending a Spot message which will contain the location coordinates. Otherwise, break out your FRS when you break trail at the lake and call on Channel 2.

[quote name='TotemLake' timestamp='1312683422' post='4801133'

Ok, in spite of actually carrying more for the trip, I've shaved my 70 lb pack to 56.

I have each of your email addresses programmed into my Spot and will be running a test at 8 PM tonight. Please let me know if you received it or not.

On Tuesday morning, if you haven't reached Leavenworth before I reached a good camp site, I will be sending a Spot message which will contain the location coordinates. Otherwise, break out your FRS when you break trail at the lake and call on Channel 2.

My phones not that smart though I do get e-mail. Use newcachesatgmaildotcom to e-mail my phone.

I'll be hitting the road Tuesday morning no later than 0700, hopefully closer to 0600 though and if traffic through the Snoqualmie Pass work zone doesn't SUCK I should be at the trail head about 3 hours after I leave Federal Way.

CFM,

Not sure if you plan on heading up Monday or Tuesday but if my departure time works with your plan you are more than welcome meet me in Federal Way and ride over with me.

I tried to e-mail you last week but the address Totem Lake had bounced back.

The approach we took has a lot of high steps and deep knee lunges. It's very steep in the second half and you need to watch your footing. Trekking poles is a must, but there are times where scrambling is the modus operandii. All-in-all, it was a great and challenging hike and stay with a great group of people. We received a last minute tip to look for the campsite below the heli-pad and it turned out to be a great tip. Not only did the nearby pad have a great view for sunrise and sunsets (and moonrises as well), it was off the beaten track that we didn't experience the nearby traffic the other sites did.

For those of you not on facebook, I've posted my pics on photobucket as well.

http://www.photobucket.com/TheEnchantments