Trade item questions

''mykez''

Ok, I'm not getting this trade item thing.

If you take something, leave something, that's easy enough lol

I have sorted out some trade items from around my home, bit of jewellery, pendants, some old currency etc

I get that if I find a cache, and it has items in, I can swap something of equal value of mine.

What I don't get, is what do the cache owners get? so if someone hides a cache, with items inside, do they get to keep items that people leave? or does the cache owner still have to 'trade'?

I have sorted out some trade items from around my home, bit of jewellery, pendants, some old currency etc

I get that if I find a cache, and it has items in, I can swap something of equal value of mine.

What I don't get, is what do the cache owners get? so if someone hides a cache, with items inside, do they get to keep items that people leave? or does the cache owner still have to 'trade'?

Well, I think technically, the cache owner can keep anything inside the cache that they want. Most would probably trade if something was left that they wanted. But generally speaking, I don't think most CO's place caches to get swag. They place it for the benefit of other cachers--because they want to show off an interesting spot, or give others a bit of fun solving a puzzle, or giving them the challenge of a difficult hunt. The best thing you can give to a CO is a nice log about your adventure, and what you enjoyed about the cache. (Assuming you enjoyed it, of course!)

Yes, most of the time I don't even trade swag. I just sign the log and move on. As far as why I place caches, swag doesn't even come into it. I place caches to bring other people to places I enjoy going to, and as a thank you for those who have placed the caches that I have found.

I actually did this on Father's Day. We received an email that our coords were badly off. I did not verify them, as I was too busy talking to a police officer at the time. ;) I also provided no hint on the cache because it was a more "run of the mill" type of hide. (The clever part was what general area it was in & why we named it what we named it)

Anyways, while I was there to verify the coords, I checked the cache. There was a Geocoin, unactivated, representing our area in it. I traded everything I had in the cache bag that would fit in the cache for that coin, & gave it to my husband for Father's Day. He loved it.

I wasn't sure about the etiquette, either. I actually emailed the person that left it in the cache to make sure it was ok. They told me I was already there for another purpose, & traded swag for it, so they see no issue.

So, I did not return it & my husband put it on display because he likes it so much. :)

The highlighted/underscored portion makes it seem like a cache owner should seek profit.

What you may not get, is a "give-back" to the (caching) community. Without cachers that contribute and maintain quality cache hides, this recreation slides into an oblivion of "trash hides" placed by people that either want profit or for some reason don't comprehend the "why" behind quality and maintenance.

Although it really isn't a bad thing (nor is it a good thing, either), many placements are there simply because the hider(s) want to attract others to their cache for that reason alone. There seems to be no reason for bringing a person there, other than "there is no other cache(s) in the area".

What many CO's receive for their efforts is the personal satisfaction that they may have added just a wee bit of joy or good times to somebody else' life, nothing more. That is all they "want"!

Yes...

Don't get too concerned about the whole thing of trading items. All you need to remember is that if you trade, "please trade up, or even".

What usually happens is that the cache owner puts 4/5/6 nice little items in their brand new cache to start it off and 6 months later it contains a used train ticket, a free body lotion from a hotel, a snail shell (hopefully empty of former occupant), a sock and a coloured eraser. :blink:

We try and add an item to each cache we find, but we rarely take anything. Many cachers do the same. It's nice to put in something for families with children who may find the cache after you.

As the others have said, the cache owner gets their pleasure from reading the logs of those who find (or don't find) their cache.

MrsB :)

Ah ok guys, thanks for painting a clearer picture for me!

I like the thought of trade, but only if it is something useful or unique, like a signature item or something along these lines!

some of my cache items I am putting aside that I will carry about aren't really useful, but they would be a good trade item, I have a few silver necklaces, a couple of silvers rings and bracelets, real silver too! A few pendants, Some Amethyst stones, I am not sure if to keep them for my own cache though when the time is ready for me to do one.