New to geocaching, new to GPS, new to Android - Which app's are indispensable?

Hello all,

I'm new to this and coincidentally when I found I couldn't really justify the cost of a dedicated GPSr to try geocaching out my cell provider decided that I was due an upgrade and could have an Android handset with GPS built in.

So my questions are: What app's do I need? What are the Android app's you can't live without, caching related or not?

If it matters the phone is an LG Optimus One with Android 2.2 - not particularly special and pretty low end I believe - but hopefully good enough for me :)

Thanks for your help.

Firstly, I'd say you need to get c:geo.

I've only found 25 caches so far, but c:geo is all I've needed.

I always take my phone along with my GPSr, i'm using a HTC Desire HD and the only app i have ever used is c:geo. It is a great little app and does everything you need it to. My two favourite features are the option to save geocaches offline, so you dont have to worry about burning through your contract, and the touch to decrypt. Yes i know it's lazy but it prevents you seeing the hint unless you want to while also saving a lot of time and brainache in what could be wet conditions.

It is really simple and easy to use and i have found that it doesnt seriously drain my battery. I always charge fully before i go out and it lasts a good few hours (this is with me taking photos as well!)

c:geo scrapes the site and breaches the terms and coditions of use

What does scrape mean? How come it breaches the terms? Don't want to start anything, I just don't understand.

What does scrape mean? How come it breaches the terms? Don't want to start anything, I just don't understand.

I was interested in learning more about this and i found another forum thread; http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=257314

I found it quite interesting to read as i had no idea there was any problem with using other applications in pursuing this hobby and it was the one most recommended to me.

I have GeoHunter installed, it works quite well on my desire and I can download GPX files to it. Although I use a garmin to actually find caches as smart phones dont have fantastic battery for a whole day of caching with the GPS on. I tried GeoBeagle which is similar but i did not like the icons and it did not `feel` as good for me.

Web pages are generally designed for humans to read - over and above the raw information, they contain formatting and graphics. Scraping is when a program effectively impersonates a human, downloads the pages and tries to pull out the raw information from the formatting. It breaches the terms simply because the terms say that you shouldn't use programs that do this.

There are some technical and some commercial reasons for these terms. It's a very inefficient way to get at the raw information, both from the program's point of view and from Groundspeak's - the formatting is more bulky than the raw data. It hits the servers hard, because a program can request pages at a higher rate than during ordinary human use. It's unreliable, and can fail if the page layout changes. And Groundspeak want you to buy their app.

Rgds, Andy

Web pages are generally designed for humans to read - over and above the raw information, they contain formatting and graphics. Scraping is when a program effectively impersonates a human, downloads the pages and tries to pull out the raw information from the formatting. It breaches the terms simply because the terms say that you shouldn't use programs that do this.

There are some technical and some commercial reasons for these terms. It's a very inefficient way to get at the raw information, both from the program's point of view and from Groundspeak's - the formatting is more bulky than the raw data. It hits the servers hard, because a program can request pages at a higher rate than during ordinary human use. It's unreliable, and can fail if the page layout changes. And Groundspeak want you to buy their app.

Rgds, Andy

there are plenty of non geocaching.com apps that don't scrape the site

there are plenty of non geocaching.com apps that don't scrape the site

I was only responding to a request for an explanation of what site scraping meant :unsure: .

Programs that uses offline GPX files rather than online access to the web pages fall within the T&Cs. Until the API becomes available it's difficult to see how online access can work other than by scraping.

Rgds, Andy

c:geo man its awsome......u can store offline n it doesnt drain ur battery like it does when ur on the net.....its reg updated and ive never had a prob with it. I have an optimus one and its the best app i have on there!!!!! Love it and wouldnt want any other app :)

If ur ever in the NW give me a shout n ill happily come caching with ya :)

Rgds, Andy

Thank you Andy.

Well I was using the Geocaching option on my android phone for just the one cache whilst I was out and about [i usually use my Garmin GPS]

It was a Church micro multi. Having gathered the clues and solved the simple puzzle I suddenly realised that I could not work out how to programme in search cords.

How is this done ?

Cheers

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If I understand it correctly although the official app uses the API it still puts a noticeable load on the server which serves up the gc.com webpages.

Although it has improved in very recent versions the official app is notorious for being buggy and unstable. Apart from being much more stable and updated more more frequently c:geo also has more features such as the ability to drop off trackables. Using the official app it's possible to find a cache without logging in, c:geo on the other hand will not let you navigate to a cache unless you have given your login info.

As previously posted c:geo operates against the T&Cs but due to its popularity I think its unlikely that GS will take any major action against it, here's some interesting stats from the Android Market (as of posting time):

Geocaching (official app from Groundspeak)

Ratings: 2,096

Installs: 10,000 - 50,000

Source

c:geo (unofficial app)

Ratings: 19,694

Installs: 500,000 - 1,000,000

Source

On iPhone the official app can drop trackables. Is this not the same?

It can't visit a trackable... Which is a pain for those with personal trackables I guess.

The official iPhone and Android apps are entirely different, I've tried both and although I'm not an apple fan I have to admit that the iPhone app is very good.