nano log remover/roller

I just replied to another thread with this 'tool' idea I had,figured...maybe make it it's own thread. I don't know if this has been thought of before?Anyway...I took a 'cotter pin' (spelling?) (the 'pin' that you stick in hole of a rod,etc.,then bend the two ends over,to hold said rod from sliding out.I'm sure there's a better description.)Again,anyway, I drilled a hole in the end of a 3/4 inch dowel (1 to 2 inchs long)then glued 'cotter pin'into said hole. I have found this makes the perfect nano log remover and a perfect log roller. I will try to post a picture later.

O.K.,Tried to attach photos,found out I don't know how. Can anyone help me?

Edited by Dog Town

I just replied to another thread with this 'tool' idea I had,figured...maybe make it it's own thread. I don't know if this has been thought of before?Anyway...I took a 'cotter pin' (spelling?) (the 'pin' that you stick in hole of a rod,etc.,then bend the two ends over,to hold said rod from sliding out.I'm sure there's a better description.)Again,anyway, I drilled a hole in the end of a 3/4 inch dowel (1 to 2 inchs long)then glued 'cotter pin'into said hole. I have found this makes the perfect nano log remover and a perfect log roller. I will try to post a picture later.

sounds like an easy DIY tool that I would defiantly make. I think you expained it well but a picture would help us know what size cotter pin to use. could you use a coin in the picture like a dime for a size comparison.

Thanks

here's a couple of pictures I took of my 'nano remover/roller'that I said 'were to come'I hope these will give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

O.K.,I have no idea how to attach a picture to this....can anyone help me.

First upload the picture to a web server somewhere. That's the hard part.

Then click on the "Insert Image" icon in the toolbar where you are editing your post. It's the icon that looks like a little polaroid picture of a tree, in between the chain "Link" icon and the envelope "Insert Email Address" icon.

When you click the icon, a little box will appear. Type in the web address of your picture and hit "Enter," or click the "Insert Image" button.

A local cacher here uses a toothpick glued somehow to the log sheet...

That's similar to what one of our cache owners does here.

She takes part of a toothpick and attaches it to the end of the log with a piece of what looks like painter's tape (it's green). When the log is rolled, the toothpick is in the middle. Works beautifully and not too hard to do.

A local cacher here uses a toothpick glued somehow to the log sheet...

That's similar to what one of our cache owners does here.

She takes part of a toothpick and attaches it to the end of the log with a piece of what looks like painter's tape (it's green). When the log is rolled, the toothpick is in the middle. Works beautifully and not too hard to do.

Took the words right out of my mouth. That's what I do with my nano.

Tweezers work too. I have a pair from an old job that are very narrow and pointy, and would be perfect for the job, if I ever thought to bring them with me.

If you fold a new nano log up at a 90 degree angle and fold that back on itself, before rolling it up, it creates a flag in the middle that allows it to be removed easier. When rerolling, roll it up as a cone instead of a short cylinder, it is easier and you can roll it tighter. Place the base of the paper cone in the nano and allow to loosen a bit and the rest of the cone will push down easily. For removing stubborn logs, I keep a 2 in long sewing pin with a ball end stuck in my ball cap.

Easy enough to make yourself, but if you don't want to take the time they are also available on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xgeocaching+%2B+roller&_nkw=geocaching+%2B+roller&_sacat=0&_from=R40

And of course at he Geocaching.com shop.

http://shop.geocaching.com/default/gear/tools/logsheet-roller.html

They can be pretty handy.

I made a log roller out of a 1/4" diameter dowel, a strip of duct tape and a paper clip.

Cut the dowel to 1 1/2"" long. Drill a small hole 1/4" from one end. cut 2 shallow channels from the hole to the end of the dowel. Insert unfolded paper clip in the hole and fold down along the channels. Hold the paperclip ends and gnetly twist the dowel. Cut the paper clip ends off even at about 3/4". wrap the duct tape around the entire dowel.

To use, insert the log end between the paperclip ends, tists and pull the roller out.

Edited by ras_oscar